Unpopular Opinions - Page 9 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 204Likes

post #121 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but how 'bout one of these?
https://images.app.goo.gl/jKtjH2WGEeaRiky79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post

Excuse me while I go vomit!
70_Cougar, jgrote and Grimbrand like this.
post #123 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 PM

Another one..... Leaving the receiver in the hitch, sticking out to eat someones shin or bumper.

I towed various boats around for years, always used a receiver hitch and I always took it off and put it away when I was done. I see some of these hitch balls covered in rust, they may have NEVER had a trailer on them.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS

post #124 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFive-O View Post
Another one..... Leaving the receiver in the hitch, sticking out to eat someones shin or bumper.

I towed various boats around for years, always used a receiver hitch and I always took it off and put it away when I was done. I see some of these hitch balls covered in rust, they may have NEVER had a trailer on them.
After being hit in the azz twice, I leave the hitch in place. It apparently acts as a deterrent to tailgaters and to people that don't know how to look when they back up. I do have a chrome ball that I leave on, but swap it out for my somewhat crusty ball when I pull my trailer.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #125 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 PM

Garage
I agree with most, and am currently guilty of:
Bigger wheels than 16 (have 17 welds on two of my stangs)
Color engine bay (this happened by accident) I think if exterior color is used in satin it looks good.

I have to disagree with using rubber bushings being obsolete, where I live you can’t have rod ends on your suspension, I don’t even use much Poly

I dislike Eleonors but keep quiet to avoid hurting 99% of my friends, I like the stock look of my 67 fastback so much I think even the shelby look is going backwards (I do like 65/66 shelbys more than a stock mustang) too much scoops.

I would add:
Performance Autopart Stickers, anywhere (not originals)
Tailights from another car
Fiberglass ground effects (see Eleanor)
Fake Brembo brake covers or rear “disc” drum covers
One of one claims because of particular “combination of options”
The whole old body placed over modern car chassis trend, the car has a unibody, you’ll have a frankenstein at the end

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #126 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:41 AM

Oh man. I'm probably one of the more opinionated people here so you know I'm going to take this opportunity to get up on my soapbox and deliver my soliloquy. This is sort of a mix of bad Mustang mod choices but also things I see on the forum. Get ready to, in this spirit of this thread, pretend not to be offended!

1) Hideous wheel choices. This has nothing to do with wheel size. I think it's possible to put larger diameter wheels on any Mustang if you choose the correct wheels.
1a) Thinking that because I think your giant chrome Foose whatever wheels are UGLY that I need a lecture/reprimand about not everyone wanting a stock Mustangs, as if I have some concours correct car. Nope. My car is modified, you just have no taste.
1b) Same as 1a but applied to any ugly or ill-advised modification you've done.
1c) Agree on the chrome Torq Thrusts. If you want chrome wheels get Cragar SS or something.

2) Yellow cars. I realize there are some factory yellow Mustangs. Fine. I'd never own one but I accept that your yellow Boss 302 is a fine automobile. Painting your 1965 Mustang canary yellow? Nope. Do not accept.

3) UGLY serpentine setups that look like something Boyd Coddington dreamed up in 1995. NOOOOOOO

4) Ugly engines in general. Those weird bulbous finned air cleaners that match those weird bulbous finned valve covers that look like they belong on a Chevy 265 from the 1950s that is then put in a 1932 Ford. Those Ford Motorsports valve covers, chrome or black and red- yuck. Yellow plug wires, in fact anything other than black. Using the light Ford blue that was on 1965 260 valve covers on your 1966 and later engine that should be the darker Corporate Blue. Corporate Blue engines in a 1965. Any engine color other than the factory correct color- red, green, whatever- NO. K&N filter tops, despite Engine Masters proving they do nothing if you still have a regular round filter under it. Those Edelbrock Pro-Flo air filters that are absolute garbage. Too much chrome.

5) Not running a PCV because you think it's emissions junk. Not understanding exactly what it does or why it's there, removing it anyway and then posting here about the weird issues you're now having.

6) Not having shock towers.
6a) Every guy who has his Mustang for a week and asks for opinions on the Heidts 4-Link and/or TCI (or similar) front suspension.

7) Telling people they need a custom cam for their 300hp 302 build.

8) Building an expensive engine and not using a roller cam. Because spending an extra $400 for link bar lifters on your $8500 stroker is less desirable than needing magic zinc oils, maybe special break-in valve springs and suffering a tense half-hour long break-in procedure.
8a) Thinking that because you didn't have issues the last time your broke in a cam in 1985 means that today's Chinese cam cores aren't garbage.

9) During the space race of the 1960s NASA spent $6,000,000 inventing a pen that could write in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil. Giving space pen advice when pencil advice is needed (see 7a, custom cam on a 300hp 302).

10) Telling everyone their carb is too big because a worthless calculator on Summit's website said you only need 390cfm carb on a 950hp 500 cubic inch engine.
10a) Telling everyone everything is too big all the time.
10b) Believing that a 289/302 with a square 256 duration / .450 lift cam, Performer manifold, 450cfm carb, stock heads and 2" exhaust will have more low end torque and be more fun to drive than a 289/302 that makes 400hp at 6500 RPM.
10c) Believing that everything good will sacrifice "low end" when dyno results pretty much prove otherwise. Spouting this belief like it's your religion.

11) Shaving, frenching, etc. every bit of classic charm and character on your vintage Mustang to the point that it looks like a 2005 V6 Mustang. Just buy the 2005 Mustang?

12) Blaming "vapor lock" for everything.

I feel much better! I actually read this thread right before bed, thinking I'd make a reply when I got up... BUT I couldn't stop thinking about what I would say so I got up just to type this. Now I expect to sleep like a baby.
erials, fordguy and CJM68GT390 like this.

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 06-28-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #127 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:16 AM

Unpopular Opinions ala Dobrostang:

1) Dobrostang is always right (nailed it)

2) Anyone who has a muscle car that hasn't wrung it out at the drags, autocross and/or road track and known the thrill and satisfaction of giving your all and putting it all on the line - finding the edges of both personal and hardware performance, to use Kelly-H vernacular; is a weeeeenie... and no, endangering civilians by driving crazy on the street doesn't count - being scared is not the same adrenaline high! (Now THATS a world class run-on sentence!) M is for Muscle and the purpose of Muscle is exercise - otherwise your just another imposter trying to look cool. Yea, I went there ;o)

3) The fundamental baseline of a person's true soul can be found in the engine compartment of their Muscle car. Everything you need to know about them is on display. You can tell if they are meticulous, functional, cheap, trying to conform, showing just a little leg, don't give a crap - just want it to work, overcompensating for "something" - its all there for the world to see...

4) While I can appreciate and respect the accomplishment of a well done concours car, I think its sad to sit in a lawn chair by your car all day hoping for recognition

5) TTD Been done to death, tells the story of someone who went the safe route not wanting to expose a corner of their personality - the only exception is guys with original TTDs from the 60s/70s

6) Silver blue paint ROCKS!

7) While I admit MOPARs are cool, those that look down on us Ford owners must have sad lives if that's the only area of superiority they can point to

8) Building a custom car by ordering from catalogs is cheating and frankly all those cars look the same nominally. Old school Hot Rodding is an art form that is dying and will soon go the way of the Dodo bird with us Boomers

9) Zray's under motor brace isn't THAT great ;o)

10) I don't get the Eleanor hate

11) Car shows get boring after 30 to 45 minutes

12) Patina RULES

13) Finally: People who keep making fun of a guy who had one little Carb Fire in line at Watkins Glen International Raceway one time years ago are jealous - its just hurtful mannn ;o)

I think I insulted everyone with my "unpopular opinions", I try to be inclusive in this diversity environment we live in these daze, did I miss anyone?

THAT was a fun rant, I feel much better now...

M

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 06-28-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #128 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
jdub, would it surprise you if I agreed with every one of your points? It surprised the heck out of me, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
3) The fundamental baseline of a person's true soul can be found in the engine compartment of their Muscle car. Everything you need to know about them is on display. You can tell if they are meticulous, functional, cheap, trying to conform, showing just a little leg, don't give a crap - just want it to work, overcompensating for "something" - its all there for the world to see...
That's poetry right there. Love it.
dobrostang, 2nd 66 and 66ryan like this.

The anvil of reality.
post #129 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:32 PM

Every time something I've done has made someone's list it makes me smile. The only two things I can add that are probably unpopular:

1. I like vinyl tops. You won't find them on any modern cars (for a good reason), they look weird, but they scream "vintage" to me.
2. I can't wait to swap my worm gear steering for rack and pinion.
Huntingky likes this.

post #130 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Dobrastang,

I like your style.
You sum it up well.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dobrostang and 2nd 66 like this.
post #131 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
My unpopular opinions? That you can build your Pony car to be sporty instead just a drag strip monster. Our cars are relatively lightweight and Arning, Shelby, Opentracker, and Street or Track (for examples) have shown us how to give our cars sporty suspensions. Many a hugely fun to drive little car is out there that doesn't (on paper) make enough torque to properly tighten the lug nuts on our Mustangs. Tiny little engines, tuned properly, with appropriately sized induction systems can be great fun. So a rather larger V8 doesn't need a cam that doesn't really "come on" until 5000 RPM in a street driven car. Co-workers say I drive everything like I stole it but the only time I ever approach redline is on this one particular freeway on-ramp. (OK, on four wheels, nevermind what I do on two wheels.) So I have an idea I want a flatter powerband that makes more power towards the middle. 400HP at 6500 RPM doesn't make the Tail of The Dragon any more tire-squealing fun. I like to have fun when I drive but there are a bunch of guys with blue lights on top their cars that take a dim view of powerslides, dragging, and drifting type activity on public roads. I don't go to race tracks so I build my cars to perform within the above parameters. I have the crazy idea that other people might like the same. If you never ever drag race your car, why did you build a drag race engine? Lots and lots and lots of people do though, THAT is popular.

I'm not into "bragging rights". "My Ferrari has a top speed of 260MPH!" (or some such) "That's cool. How many times have you actually gone that fast?" "Um, uh, well.." "So basically all you ever do is maybe exceed the speed limit by about 10MPH or so the same as I do with my cheapo old Ford then?" "But, but, it CAN go 260 MPH!" "OK buddy, OK." Somewhere late in high school I basically ceased to give two craps about what other people thought. Kind of puts me in a minority I think.

A 289 revs a bit a quicker than a 302 or 5.0 with equivalent internals. I was turned on to this by an old school dirt tracker. Thus a 289 is more suited to "sporty" than a roller cam 5.0, technically speaking. So many people tossing perfectly good 289's in favor of 5.0's are doing it wrong if that is their goal. Nobody wants to hear that.

Flat tappet cams can initially lift a valve "quicker" than a roller cam. It's just geometry. A wedge can slap a flat surface into motion quicker than a round roller. The difference is small but it is real. It happens that apples to apples a turbo can make use of that ability to crack the valves open a tad faster. Other than that, it's not so useful. Anyway, having any sort of positive opinion about flat tappet cams is decidedly unfashionable these days.
Huntingky likes this.
post #132 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Gypsy, I’m happy with my 289, solid flat tappet cam...unpopular or not.

Grimbrand likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #133 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Even in Ford blue

Nailbender and Grimbrand like this.

Brad
post #134 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
M

So, what does it say about me that my engine bay's all burnt, disassembled, recently repainted, but dirty again and covered in mud dauber nests, with no engine in it? *laugh*

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #135 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Really not the best looking thing is it?

1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
Instagram @a65stang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page