Unpopular Opinions - Vintage Mustang Forums
 198Likes

post #1 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
Unpopular Opinions

We are often asked our opinions, and I realized that there are some that are so subjective, it's not even fair to offer them. So just for fun, and with the understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, here are some entirely subjective opinions that I believe very strongly, but in the final analysis, mean nothing.

It should be noted, there's no room for hurt feelings here. I imagine most of you would include "no flame jobs on Mustangs" as one of your strongly-held subjective opinions. I don't care. You're probably right. This is for fun.

What about you? What are your unpopular opinions?

1: Color. Black/Grey/Silver/White. They're sooo boring. Every other car in the world right now is a shade of these 4 colors with very few exceptions. The only way to get away with one of these colors is if you have a brightly contrasted interior, like red or blue. Full disclosure, my car was black with red interior and I changed it to all black with grey flames. You may now throw stones at my glass house.

2: Color again. There's no room in my life for silver blue. It's the embodiment of a 90's Toyota Camry color. Literally every other available color is better. Except maybe Arcadian Blue. Woof.

3. Eleanor. It's over. It was dumb in 1999, and it's worse now. A legacy of a copy of a clone of a plasticky car, with felony VIN tampering and millions of dollars in scammed people (Unique Performance). It's a sad car that is attractive to people who don't know what real Mustangs are. Everything about a stock 67 Shelby is better looking than that turd. Time to bury it.

4. Edelbrock Carbs. They're fussy to tune and even then it's hard to get them to run right. I had a magical 1405 that ran perfectly on a bone stock C-code 289 with an Eddy RPM intake for years. Once I added go-fast parts to it, it never ran right again (until Holley entered the picture). I don't understand why people are so attracted to them. Is it the chrome? I dunno. Get a Holley.

5. Stant lever radiator cap. It's ugly. If you have one, you should remove it and see how far you can throw it.

6. Engine bays that are any color besides black. Just no.

7. Chrome/polished Torq Thrust II wheels. I get why they're everywhere. It's an objectively attractive wheel. Let's all agree to move on and find something else.

8. Plastic conduit on wiring. There are better options. Get some Power Braid from Painless or something similar. It's better in every measurable way, and doesn't look like it came from the 80's.

9. No cowl hoods on (classic) Mustangs. They look great on Chevy's and Fox body Mustangs. They just don't look right on our cars.

10. Paint your pinch welds black! On a light colored car, the pinch welds were painted black from the factory so the ugly pinch welds faded into the background. They did this for a good reason.
shelby289s, Joe, Huntingky and 9 others like this.

The anvil of reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Trouble
Supporting Member

Garage
I'll agree with everything except engine bay color. My 68 modified fastback is Sapphire Blue and it looks gorgeous with the black engine. Also has the Hertz gold stripes on the firewall.
gwstang, Ford.P51 and Israel like this.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified All Years
MCA National Secretary
post #3 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie_S View Post
I'll agree with everything except engine bay color. My 68 modified fastback is Sapphire Blue and it looks gorgeous with the black engine. Also has the Hertz gold stripes on the firewall.
Yeah I actually thought of you as one of the rare exceptions. I'm willing to write in an (unless stripes are echoed in the execution) amendment.

Edit: but 9 out of 10 ain't bad. I expected more pushback right out of the gate. Let's see what everybody else says.
Laurie_S likes this.

The anvil of reality.

Last edited by BlakeTX; 06-20-2019 at 05:06 PM.

post #4 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post

1: Color. Black/Grey/Silver/White. They're sooo boring. Every other car in the world right now is a shade of these 4 colors with very few exceptions. The only way to get away with one of these colors is if you have a brightly contrasted interior, like red or blue. Full disclosure, my car was black with red interior and I changed it to all black with grey flames. You may now throw stones at my glass house.
I like dark metallic reds and will go this route with my restomod.

4. Edelbrock Carbs. They're fussy to tune and even then it's hard to get them to run right. I had a magical 1405 that ran perfectly on a bone stock C-code 289 with an Eddy RPM intake for years. Once I added go-fast parts to it, it never ran right again (until Holley entered the picture). I don't understand why people are so attracted to them. Is it the chrome? I dunno. Get a Holley.
Not necessarily Holle, but Quick Fuel as they are a Holley company. Virtually nothing bad said about the Quick Fuel carbs.

Agreed unless you are paying someone to do all the prep on the engine compartment. The high dollar restomods where all the metal is smoothed are an exception.

7. Chrome/polished Torq Thrust II wheels. I get why they're everywhere. It's an objectively attractive wheel. Let's all agree to move on and find something else.
I love the Trans Am look, so 18" mini-lite look alikes for me.

8. Plastic conduit on wiring. There are better options. Get some Power Braid from Painless or something similar. It's better in every measurable way, and doesn't look like it came from the 80's.
When it is time for wiring, I will look at the braid. I am a bit concerned about how to get the stuff over cable connectors though.

9. No cowl hoods on (classic) Mustangs. They look great on Chevy's and Fox body Mustangs. They just don't look right on our cars.
Yeah, a flat hood on the Boss 302 tribute for a clean racer look.

10. Paint your pinch welds black! On a light colored car, the pinch welds were painted black from the factory so the ugly pinch welds faded into the background. They did this for a good reason.
Engine compartment will be mate black, the rest will be body color.
IMO.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.

Last edited by Boss5Oh; 06-20-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:17 PM

I totally agree with you, especially Eleanor. I always, ALWAYS hated the very idea of that piece of crap. And I have a Holley, always used them, never ever had a problem. And anybody who would paint a classic Mustang silver blue should be horse whipped. That's a color for the plastic bumper crowd.
post #6 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
We are often asked our opinions, and I realized that there are some that are so subjective, it's not even fair to offer them. So just for fun, and with the understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, here are some entirely subjective opinions that I believe very strongly, but in the final analysis, mean nothing.

It should be noted, there's no room for hurt feelings here. I imagine most of you would include "no flame jobs on Mustangs" as one of your strongly-held subjective opinions. I don't care. You're probably right. This is for fun.

2: Color again. There's no room in my life for silver blue. It's the embodiment of a 90's Toyota Camry color. Literally every other available color is better. Except maybe Arcadian Blue. Woof.

3. Eleanor. It's over. It was dumb in 1999, and it's worse now. A legacy of a copy of a clone of a plasticky car, with felony VIN tampering and millions of dollars in scammed people (Unique Performance). It's a sad car that is attractive to people who don't know what real Mustangs are. Everything about a stock 67 Shelby is better looking than that turd. Time to bury it.

5. Stant lever radiator cap. It's ugly. If you have one, you should remove it and see how far you can throw it.

Cool post. I actually like cowl hoods if they're not too big.. Other than that I agree. You would have got 1 million extra likes on this post if you had talked about what a POS a MII front end is
post #7 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoffMedic View Post
That's a color for the plastic bumper crowd.
Good way to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anangryford View Post
You would have got 1 million extra likes on this post if you had talked about what a POS a MII front end is
Ooh, good one!

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Garage
I disagree with #4

I had to down jet/meetering rods with the factory 289 and had to upsize them with my new 5.0L. It takes some testing/tweaking but each time I have been able to get her running very well and never had to touch it again. I only paid 60 bucks for my 1406 and am very happy with it.

I am sure you will find there will be members that will disagree with at least one point if not more.

Now I dislike flames on any car, but I do like them on yours, go figure!!
post #9 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:37 PM

Everyone has an opinion but the internet makes it far to easy to express it without any remorse or guilt. Someone doesn't like Eleanor that's there opinion OK. I personally think its a beautiful car. Not everyone likes Teaberry chewing gum is what my father always said. But you always have someone that goes beyond just giving their opinion and has to criticize. That's basically why I stopped posting on this forum. I mean I truly enjoy this forum. If someone has a question or a problem and I can help then I try. But I will never post another pic or detail of anything I am doing again. People should be more careful of how they express there opinions. Not saying in any way that your opinions in this thread are bad. Don't take that the wrong way not criticizing you. Speaking in general from past experience.
post #10 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Expressing opinions is not a problem. Everyone's got 'em! The only problem is, a lot of people these days seem to think that they can't be friends unless they agree on everything.

I don't mind a bit when someone has a different point of view. If they've got good reasons for it, sometimes I can learn a thing or two! Or, I can disagree. It's even possible I'll decide that person's an idiot. This process of discernment is something we're all supposed to develop as we grow up.

As opposed to walking around with a big gaggle of friends that all share the same tastes and opinions. That's called "girls in high school". *puts on flame-retardant underwear*

(I do TRY to be respectful, even when I disagree. Or think people are idiots. Sometimes I succeed.)

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #11 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Supporting Member

My problem with the Eleanor car is that everyone is turning those beautiful fastbacks into them. It’s a good looking car, but it doesn’t look as good as a fastback or Shelby. What’s really sad is all the fastbacks that were built for the movie and were trashed.
If I had no knowledge of a real fastback or Shelby I would think it’s great, but being a mustang guy I know what it’s based on
Huntingky likes this.

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #12 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:

Not sure if these opinions are limited to style, or anything that relates to opinions we ask each on what to do with our cars, cosmetically or mechanical.

To answer you opinions:

1. Agreed.

2. Eh, sure.

3. I’ve always liked the Eleanor, and still do. I will however concede that it is simply played out. Especially with all the really crappy renditions of it.

4. I never had an issue. I say go on and keep loving them.

5. Eh. Probably have one. I’ll keep it.

6. Black is boring. I like body colour, or even better, a light grey or speckled finish (I’m imagining a racecar style). Disclaimer: my engine bay is satin black. If I ever have to pull my engine, the bay is getting painted.

7. I elevate this to chrome wheels in general. Anything else is better. Torq Thrust style is timeless, but worn. I guess dare to be different?? I have a TT style wheel from vintage wheel works, but in a raw aluminium finish, with polish lips.

8. Agreed. But I’m guilty.

9. Agreed, and I’ve been guilty in the past.

10. Agreed, much more aesthetically pleasing.

To add my own:

11. Stock ride height. I’m all about that low life. Countrymen, we drive mustangs, not 4x4’s.

12. In line with the above, rear (or front) wheels that stick out beyond the wheel well. Even dedicated drag cars. Tuck it in, imho.

13. Chameleon paint. I think it looks gross. Haven’t seen one that looks remotely good.

14. Multiple tail lights on 64-70. As in, each side has three vertical bars, and now you’ve doubled it. Beat. Your. Face.

15. Body coloured bumpers. Just looks ridiculous. The chrome (or any other colour) contrasts nicely on mustangs.

16. EPAS. Love it. It’s awesome.

17. Overdrive. 5 speeds and 6 speeds for life. Just better overall.

18. Rubber suspension bushings. Throw those things as far as you possibly can! Heim joints/steel bearings all the way. NVH is that much more, and I have noticed a better ride and handling because of it.

This was fun. Thanks. You’re a great American, BlakeTX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #13 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblooseven View Post
Everyone has an opinion but the internet makes it far to easy to express it without any remorse or guilt. Someone doesn't like Eleanor that's there opinion OK. I personally think its a beautiful car. Not everyone likes Teaberry chewing gum is what my father always said. But you always have someone that goes beyond just giving their opinion and has to criticize. That's basically why I stopped posting on this forum. I mean I truly enjoy this forum. If someone has a question or a problem and I can help then I try. But I will never post another pic or detail of anything I am doing again. People should be more careful of how they express there opinions. Not saying in any way that your opinions in this thread are bad. Don't take that the wrong way not criticizing you. Speaking in general from past experience.

I feel you on this. I was even hesitant to reply to this, but hey, what the heck. All we can do is keep rolling. I hope you would post pics about your car. Love seeing other people’s car. And I can say I’ll be cool if we disagree. It’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
myfirstcar66 and QuietChris like this.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #14 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Colors: Grey needs to make a long overdue exit, fun cars should be fun colors. However, black mustangs look dramatic and convey power (just a pain to maintain). White is elegant but unforgiving of poor lines anywhere.
The silver lining to white is you won't feel blue (or see red) if you get the gaps right, and then you're good as gold.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #15 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:55 PM

Garage
If someone asks an opinion, they should expect to get it.
I have seen some fugly stuff, but sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.
If someone asks for help, they shouldn't get smacked in the face with a wet paper sack full of dog crap.
I've had to resist sending a couple of VMFrs a direct message I hoped they had explosive diarrhea and uncontrollable sneezing in a traffic jam in the middle of a mile-long bridge on a hot day with no AC.
We ARE supposed to be helping each other for the preservation and enjoyment of Mustangs, here, right?
To each his own, or buy it from them and do what you want with your own money.
gsxrken and Grimbrand like this.

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
•Original Styled Steel Wheels
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console
...son's first car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page