We are often asked our opinions, and I realized that there are some that are so subjective, it's not even fair to offer them. So just for fun, and with the understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, here are some entirely subjective opinions that I believe very strongly, but in the final analysis, mean nothing.
It should be noted, there's no room for hurt feelings here. I imagine most of you would include "no flame jobs on Mustangs" as one of your strongly-held subjective opinions. I don't care. You're probably right. This is for fun.
What about you? What are your unpopular opinions?
1: Color. Black/Grey/Silver/White. They're sooo boring. Every other car in the world right now is a shade of these 4 colors with very few exceptions. The only way to get away with one of these colors is if you have a brightly contrasted interior, like red or blue. Full disclosure, my car was black with red interior and I changed it to all black with grey flames. You may now throw stones at my glass house.
2: Color again. There's no room in my life for silver blue. It's the embodiment of a 90's Toyota Camry color. Literally every other available color is better. Except maybe Arcadian Blue. Woof.
3. Eleanor. It's over. It was dumb in 1999, and it's worse now. A legacy of a copy of a clone of a plasticky car, with felony VIN tampering and millions of dollars in scammed people (Unique Performance). It's a sad car that is attractive to people who don't know what real Mustangs are. Everything about a stock 67 Shelby is better looking than that turd. Time to bury it.
4. Edelbrock Carbs. They're fussy to tune and even then it's hard to get them to run right. I had a magical 1405 that ran perfectly on a bone stock C-code 289 with an Eddy RPM intake for years. Once I added go-fast parts to it, it never ran right again (until Holley entered the picture). I don't understand why people are so attracted to them. Is it the chrome? I dunno. Get a Holley.
5. Stant lever radiator cap. It's ugly. If you have one, you should remove it and see how far you can throw it.
6. Engine bays that are any color besides black. Just no.
7. Chrome/polished Torq Thrust II wheels. I get why they're everywhere. It's an objectively attractive wheel. Let's all agree to move on and find something else.
8. Plastic conduit on wiring. There are better options. Get some Power Braid from Painless or something similar. It's better in every measurable way, and doesn't look like it came from the 80's.
9. No cowl hoods on (classic) Mustangs. They look great on Chevy's and Fox body Mustangs. They just don't look right on our cars.
10. Paint your pinch welds black! On a light colored car, the pinch welds were painted black from the factory so the ugly pinch welds faded into the background. They did this for a good reason.
Not sure if these opinions are limited to style, or anything that relates to opinions we ask each on what to do with our cars, cosmetically or mechanical.
To answer you opinions:
2. Eh, sure.
3. I’ve always liked the Eleanor, and still do. I will however concede that it is simply played out. Especially with all the really crappy renditions of it.
4. I never had an issue. I say go on and keep loving them.
5. Eh. Probably have one. I’ll keep it.
6. Black is boring. I like body colour, or even better, a light grey or speckled finish (I’m imagining a racecar style). Disclaimer: my engine bay is satin black. If I ever have to pull my engine, the bay is getting painted.
7. I elevate this to chrome wheels in general. Anything else is better. Torq Thrust style is timeless, but worn. I guess dare to be different?? I have a TT style wheel from vintage wheel works, but in a raw aluminium finish, with polish lips.
8. Agreed. But I’m guilty.
9. Agreed, and I’ve been guilty in the past.
10. Agreed, much more aesthetically pleasing.
To add my own:
11. Stock ride height. I’m all about that low life. Countrymen, we drive mustangs, not 4x4’s.
12. In line with the above, rear (or front) wheels that stick out beyond the wheel well. Even dedicated drag cars. Tuck it in, imho.
13. Chameleon paint. I think it looks gross. Haven’t seen one that looks remotely good.
14. Multiple tail lights on 64-70. As in, each side has three vertical bars, and now you’ve doubled it. Beat. Your. Face.
15. Body coloured bumpers. Just looks ridiculous. The chrome (or any other colour) contrasts nicely on mustangs.
16. EPAS. Love it. It’s awesome.
17. Overdrive. 5 speeds and 6 speeds for life. Just better overall.
18. Rubber suspension bushings. Throw those things as far as you possibly can! Heim joints/steel bearings all the way. NVH is that much more, and I have noticed a better ride and handling because of it.
This was fun. Thanks. You’re a great American, BlakeTX.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
(Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!