Vendor error in pricing - what would you do (long read) - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 101Likes
Closed Thread

post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM

What about all the times you buy something and itís not what you thought or what was represented....

Ever shopped Amazon or eBay.....
It man be sketchy sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM

Really depends on yr personal Karma. Some people can do anything they want, never look back - guys like me, something always happens. I had a beautiful 66 Benz that had the rear end start whining. I was sitting at a stoplight and a stray thought landed in my pea brain, “maybe I’ll throw some bananas and saw dust in the pumpkin and sell it”. Light turns green and I hit the gas and no fecal matter, the transmission catastrophically disintegrated to the tune of $2000. I have been blessed with “instant karma”. Sooo, I try to keep things simple. If it was a major company like amazon or pony parts that screws people regularly i might trade or sell it -never put it on my car - but if it was Opentracker, I’d want a set of porterfield pads for my granada brakes and he pays shipping ;o)
68Hildago likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
They didn't just make the pricing mistake, they made two more. One was calling you about it at all, and the other was even hinting they may not do business with you again if you won't play ball and help them out.

All three mistakes are their problems, not yours.
powool, Turnall, 68Hildago and 1 others like this.

post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Supporting Vendor

My suppliers make mistakes, and send us 10-times what we are invoiced for on a certain product (adding a zero to the qty), or sends items that we're not invoiced for, or invoices that are priced/billed incorrectly (dropping a zero).

In all instances, regardless of the size or depth-o-pockets of that supplier, we inform them of the error, and settle-up 100%. Otherwise, our integrity with them, and in general, moving-forward is null and void.

I realize that this isn't easy, but I was always raised that right/wrong has nothing to do with peripheral circumstances...

If the crazy old lady who lives next to you sells you a nice 1966 Mustang GT for $1,000 bucks, and two days later (after noticing it's gone), the crazy old lady's husband knocks on your door and explains, "gee, this is awful, and I apologize, but my wife isn't exactly playing with a full deck these days, and she sold you my GT at a ludicrous price, and I just can't part with it at that price, I'm sure you can understand.."...

Would you first consider how big your neighbor's house is, and how much money he might have in savings in the bank, and then tell him, "Sorry old man... I think you can afford this.."..??

The vendor in this case is indeed powerless, and you could indeed keep the kit. It's your call, your conscience..
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
If the crazy old lady who lives next to you sells you a nice 1966 Mustang GT for $1,000 bucks, and two days later (after noticing it's gone), the crazy old lady's husband knocks on your door and explains, "gee, this is awful, and I apologize, but my wife isn't exactly playing with a full deck these days, and she sold you my GT at a ludicrous price, and I just can't part with it at that price, I'm sure you can understand.."...

Would you first consider how big your neighbor's house is, and how much money he might have in savings in the bank, and then tell him, "Sorry old man... I think you can afford this.."..??
I know a guy who did almost this same thing but no crazy lady husband involved. He owns a handyman business in a nearby town, advertises all over the place, and sponsors car shows and other local events. The guy makes big bucks, and isn't afraid to talk about it. He was checking out one of his jobs that his employees were doing at an older lady's home, and sees a 68 coupe sitting on the property. He asks about it, and finds out it doesn't run or hasn't run in awhile. This coupe is clean, practically all original minus the usual maintenance items. He offers the lady $1,200 and she takes it. Of course, he now starts bragging about how he scored this really clean coupe for only $1,200. Does this lady really know what that car was worth? Obviously not. Does she even follow the Mustang market? I would have to say no. Did she want to get it off her property at any price? Who knows. I don't know what the issue was why it wasn't running when he bought it, but he was driving it around just a few days later - V8, factory a/c, no rust, clean interior, no exterior damage.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Sounds like you bought it at an agreed to price, but then they changed their minds later because they realized the could sell it for me. To me, that's going back on a deal that was made in good faith, and bad on them.
post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM

I consider myself a straight shooter, but I would be in the keep the supercharger and don't send them any money camp.

It's not even a moral dilemma in my book. There is no such thing as Karma. This is a business deal.

I would assume that this is one of the items they have drop shipped to you. In other words, they don't ever have to inventory the item. They just list it, sell it, have it drop shipped to you. Collect your money and 30 days later pay the supplier 70% of what they collected from you. Arbitrage.

This time they are going to need to pay a higher percentage of what they collected. Just math. Just an underwater deal.

When it's me against a corporation...I'm going to take my wins where I can get them....because they are few and far between.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Tough decision yep, and what would be your response if someone else on the forum posted this topic? You can't buy integrity, and the actions of others should not affect your own actions. So whether its a multi million dollar company or a couple old folks living on pension your actions should remain the same. Yes tough decision
post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 AM

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" . That's in the "old book". What goes around , comes around is the modern adaptation.
Woodchuck and John_in_SC like this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
My suppliers make mistakes, and send us 10-times what we are invoiced for on a certain product (adding a zero to the qty), or sends items that we're not invoiced for, or invoices that are priced/billed incorrectly (dropping a zero).

In all instances, regardless of the size or depth-o-pockets of that supplier, we inform them of the error, and settle-up 100%. Otherwise, our integrity with them, and in general, moving-forward is null and void.

The vendor in this case is indeed powerless, and you could indeed keep the kit. It's your call, your conscience..
Your dealing policy with your suppliers is business-to-business, I agree with it 100% and it is admirable. That is right and proper and as it should be. But this is an instance of an advertised price to the general public, a purchase made by a frequent customer or a one-time-only buyer doesn't matter. The selling price listed is the seller's responsibility, not the customer's. That is also proper and as it should be.

Would you ever call me and say "Hey Brad, you know that Super Turbine Booster Fooster you bought from us last week? Well, we goofed on the price..."

No, your high integrity and business reputation wouldn't allow for that. That is the only good response too, except of course addressing the cause of the problem in your company internally.
In this case the OP's conscience can rest easy and sleep well, and if that vendor refuses to ever sell to him again that would be their fourth mistake.
DrHawkeye likes this.

post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Your dealing policy with your suppliers is business-to-business, I agree with it 100% and it is admirable. That is right and proper and as it should be. But this is an instance of an advertised price to the general public, a purchase made by a frequent customer or a one-time-only buyer doesn't matter. The selling price listed is the seller's responsibility, not the customer's. That is also proper and as it should be.

Would you ever call me and say "Hey Brad, you know that Super Turbine Booster Fooster you bought from us last week? Well, we goofed on the price..."

No, your high integrity and business reputation wouldn't allow for that. That is the only good response too, except of course addressing the cause of the problem in your company internally.
In this case the OP's conscience can rest easy and sleep well, and if that vendor refuses to ever sell to him again that would be their fourth mistake.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Great conversation and feedback. Glad I put this up here. Regarding Karma....I don't really buy into that premise. I'd probably be screwed based on my younger years. Been kicking around the Army as an Officer (prior enlisted) for the past 15 years in one capacity or another (in addition to balancing a CIV career) so you can kinda gauge how I try to live my life.

I do have a scenario question based on some of the feedback received.

Say I had a supercharger kit (brand new boxed) listed for sale on the forum at 500$. Deal was struck and someone bought it - which I imagine would happen rather quickly. 2 weeks later I realized I cut it loose way below cost because I made a mistake. I went back to buyer and asked $1K more or to send it back for a refund due to my error. How about the charger being sold for $1k and I went back to you for $500? How about charger being sold for 1$ and going back for $1500?

I'm not suggesting or implying anyone is a scrooge or a softie or a hypocrite.....just wondering when karma (if that's your thing) or conscious kicks in on a too good to be true deal. At what point does it become my responsibility as the seller? I think I know where I stand on it.

BTW @69bossnine - I love me some NPD. Right down the road from my house. Instant gratification.

Thanks again for reading and replying. Very insightful. Wish I could reply to all you directly.

V/r
J
fordguy likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------
John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
1966 Coupe - 302 with some stuff on it
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I too was going to respond on that being B2B and of course Rick's practices are as they should be. I have had customers pay and invoice twice, I always call and let them know their mistake and ask them how they want to handle it (deposit it and have a credit on their account, return their check or shred it).

I think this is a separate issue though and agree with 4ocious' assessment.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:

First off, my response here is of no inference or reflection on the original post. Now, I'm just delving into my own feelings..

Over the years, I've seen plenty of social-media posts where car dealerships mucked-up and listed (for instance) "New 2017 F150, now only $3,995!!" in a newspaper ad, or website listing..

Now... You know damn well that's a mistake. You know somebody dropped a zero, or something. And you know that if you pursue that price, you're looking to gain at the expense of another's error.

A supercharger listed at 99.5% less than other competitors' list-prices? Come on now...

And I do not see any difference in what basic ethics/principals should be business-business, or business-customer. Or citizen-government. Or stranger-relative.

Just recently we mistakenly had a $380 a/c condensor listed at $10 online, and within a matter of hours 7 orders slid in... Seven people trying to dive on a $10 condensor, and I'm sure they knew it was an egregious error. We caught the mistake before anything shipped out the door, so unwinding the problem wasn't too difficult, and each of the 7 customers were understanding, friendly, and sheepishly admitted "yeah, knew it was too good to be true!". So it worked out well.

Don't know what I'd do if one of the seven had made a stink of it, because luckily, every time we've had one of these types of screwups, our customers (bless them) have always been top-notch and understanding.

I don't have one set of standards for businesses, another for customers, and another for family/friends. I just have standards, and I try to abide by them, although we've all been guilty of falling short in the past. We all live in glass houses.
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:11 PM

You already know the right thing to do, is pay the 1/2 price. It's still a great bargain. Right is always right and wrong is always wrong. Just do it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page