Vendor error in pricing - what would you do (long read) - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 101Likes

post #46 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM

If you really want a supercharger I'd do the half-price offer. That's just me. I'm not perfect but I'd like to think that given the choice between getting away with something I KNEW was wrong from the start and doing the right thing, I'd do the right thing- especially since the "right thing" in the vendor's eyes is still pretty good for you. Life handed you a half price supercharger you can keep with good conscience. I'd take that to bank.
bbmach likes this.

1965 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Supporting Vendor

I finally got back to my desk, I had a PM from John, and I've replied back...

Honestly, I hope you guys can understand that this topic has me walking a tight-rope above a flaming pool full of alligators, because there's some disagreement on this here, and I don't want to cheese anyone off..

I'm not just a business owner, I am also a customer. Yes, I spend money at other places too.. LOL...

There are many schools of thought when it comes to how businesses should treat customers. Some of the mantras are very cut-and-dry, like "the customer is always right"..

But I find simplistic approaches are cop-outs.. Easy 1-sentence rules for handling often times complicated and diverse issues. Kind of like how "zero tolerance" policies sound good in theory, but can be moronic in application.

Crooks, scam artist and people of low-character LOVE businesses that follow the "customer is always right" rule. They shop exclusively at those places.

So as a business owner, you've gotta be smarter than that. You have to take an intelligent and human approach, and I use this term a ton in customer service - GOOD FAITH

Acting in good faith almost always results in a happy customer, who's been treated fairly, and who will respect the company and come back again. There's only one caveat. Both parties must be willing to act in good faith..

If I've got a problem with a customer, and I'm the only one willing to act in reasonable good-faith, at that point it's not about "company vs. customer".. At that point, it's about me and you.

And where the point/threshold of "reasonable and appropriate accountability" lies, that requires two parties willing to act in good faith. OR... Attorneys. And I HATE the latter option. LOL!!

When a mistake is an honest mistake (on the part of a company), and the customer knows it's a mistake right away, right from the outset, then there's a decision to be made by the customer.. And that decision should not have anything to do with who's bigger, who's got the deeper pockets, etc... That decision should be rooted in good faith.

If a cashier at McDonalds accidently slides you a $100 bill as part of your change, do you politely return it? I mean, it's her mistake.. And McDonalds is ultimately responsible for her training and performance... And it's not like McDonalds is going to miss the $100 bucks...

But does it make it right, simply because McDonalds is McDonalds?

John's situation is a bit different, because he didn't mistakenly get handed cash...

But he seems to be a very level-headed fellow, and whatever he decides, quite honestly, is his business.

My blathering above is simply a reflection of how I try to do business from a business's point of view, and how I view the relationship between NPD and our customers.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, and if I said anything that might be misconstrued, I'll gladly/hopefully clarify.

Rick
NPD
post #48 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey Team VMF -

As I gently caress and hold this Paxton (still in plastic) in my arms - we've come to a conclusion.

I try to live according to the guidance in a certain book/chapter in a very old book that I read daily. I try also to live by the 7 Army Values. Not making an effort to work with the vendor goes against those basic tenants. Life is full of little tests such as this.

So, I will reach out to the vendor and work with those guys to come up with a win/win solution. If an agreement can't be reached - will cross that bridge if I need to. We will see what we come up with. I'll probably go the credit route as I'm not sure my car is ready for a super charger. Also, my mechanical skills aren't stellar - I'll probably grenade my motor or break the rear end or get boost happy and end up in a mailbox or worse.

I came to this conclusion based on all your input as well as a PM I received and a conversation I had on messenger with a VMF ghost. Would it be nice to have an SC near next to nothing? Absolutely. Do I want it - darn right I want it. Do I need it - probably not as much as I need brakes or better steering....or according to JDUB - a monster cam. Some may think this is an asinine course of action. My mechanic is going to think I'm insane. They maybe right or wrong. Just going to make the effort. I'd probably want that if roles were reversed.

Got to wait til Sunday to sort this out as my guy over there is on holiday and will return then. Oh yea - I do have a pending credit for like 200$ with the Vendor - would hate to mess that up. =)

One other side note. I have 3 daughters. My oldest is 16. I constantly drill into her the word integrity. I use a basic definition for it: Making the hard right as opposed to the easy wrong when no one is looking. Seems applicable in this scenario.

Thanks for your feedback. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks
J

----------------------------------------------------------------
John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
1966 Coupe - 302 with some stuff on it

Last edited by John_in_SC; 06-21-2019 at 04:14 PM.

post #49 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Was the vendor Summit?

floovb, floovb, vwomp, vwomp (sound of a bad tire driving)
post #50 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:02 PM

A lot of hand-wringing in my opinion.
I'm in the industry. (aftermarket) It's your supercharger. You paid for it. Regardless
of if you knew of how awesome a deal it was. Taking advantage of a cataloging or listing
mistake is not a crime. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and I wouldn't give it any karmic
considerations.

I have dealt with this kind of circumstance before. Stuff happens. The last one was a
customer who was telling us he never received about $14k worth of product.
(billed for but not received) Our warehouse said it shipped and a physical count says
it's not there. I zeroed out the customer's bill for the excess $14K they were charged.
We have no idea what happened but since I've been dealing with that customer for
many years and they do 1M a year with us, that's the way it went.
I've had it the other way too.... customer receives 2 or 3 pallets they didn't order.
Essentially free product. We would have never known if the customer hadn't informed
us.

You would hope this kind of thing doesn't ever happen. But it does.
Ford.P51 and John_in_SC like this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_in_SC View Post
So VMF - what would you do?
Well, you asked.

If you keep it, it's theft. There, I said it. You hold a legal trump card but it doesn't change the moral implications of the deal.

No, I don't believe in "Karma" BS. There is no force in the universe that gives a rat's pitoot if I steal something and will plan to smote me if I do wrong. I'm just not that important. But I know my dad would say it's stealing and he raised me well.

TBH, I don't even know if I could take the 50% deal as I know they paid more for the item than they sold it to me for.

Sorry.

John

EDIT: I posted this after reading the first few posts and was so worked up, so I replied before reading all the other replies, and now see that you're considering other options. I hope you do what you know is right.

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...

Last edited by John_Del; 06-21-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
There is a lot of truth to that statement. Wouldn't say foiled my plans.....more like muddled them and caused my conscious and sensibility to kick in.....hence the post and reading every comment - sometimes 3x over.

thanks
J
Your being so candid is a good indication of your character. You will do the right thing.
John_in_SC likes this.

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 PM

You know the right course of action or you wouldn't have asked on this forum.

Thank you for your service.
post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 PM

For the most part I'm very impressed with the caliber of member we have here. Lots of holding each other up to a higher standard, obeying moral law over legality and people who always do the right thing. How did we get such a high concentration of extremely good people all in one place when society as a whole is an alternate universe compared to the members here? I don't know; I have a few ideas how it's possible even though improbable but that's not important. What is important is this: 95% of you are just plain wrong.

I'm one of the most honest people you could ever hope to meet. I live my life in service to others. Integrity is a hallmark that stamps its approval on everything I do. My conscience has its own superego that I must bend to appease no matter the constraint or who if anybody knows about it.

And I would keep the supercharger without a second thought. The funny part is the majority of you think less of me now.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk
Dan Babb and John_in_SC like this.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Del View Post
Well, you asked.

If you keep it, it's theft. There, I said it. You hold a legal trump card but it doesn't change the moral implications of the deal.

No, I don't believe in "Karma" BS. There is no force in the universe that gives a rat's pitoot if I steal something and will plan to smote me if I do wrong. I'm just not that important. But I know my dad would say it's stealing and he raised me well.

TBH, I don't even know if I could take the 50% deal as I know they paid more for the item than they sold it to me for.

Sorry.

John

EDIT: I posted this after reading the first few posts and was so worked up, so I replied before reading all the other replies, and now see that you're considering other options. I hope you do what you know is right.

You are correct - I asked how others would handle this situation.

IIRC, you've helped me out (under a different screen name) in the past and for that I'm appreciative however I"m not even sure where to begin with this but I'll give it a few sentences and then I'm done with it.

Your opening sentence makes the rest of your post mute regardless of the content. Implying someone has stolen or is a thief or whatever because you disagree with the terms of a legal deal between the seller/buyer regardless of how you morally/ethically view it makes your post fall on its face. Unfortunately you have provided no value to this discussion. .

You are however entitled to your opinion as am I. I apologize for the rudeness however this is the only post in this entire thread that has agitated me

V/r
J
vegasloki likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------
John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
1966 Coupe - 302 with some stuff on it

Last edited by John_in_SC; 06-21-2019 at 08:41 PM.
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:33 PM

I used to ship UPS all the time to my mustang customers, most of them I had met personally at the mustang shows- Pensacola, new orleans , Memphis, Gulfport ms, Jackson ms, Anyway this one time my customer from the pan handle of florida said he didn't receive his order- about 900 dollars worth so UPS pays me and I reship the order. Shortly thereafter he is reselling his duplicate order at the next swap meet. Of course I knew what transpired but it was done. I never trusted that turkey after that. Just about all my customers paid open account and paid after order was received and at that time you could do business that way and not get taken. Today its everyone for themself. I believe you will do the right thing by your supplier. Wes
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
They made a mistake and he's doing them a solid by sending it back. Words have meanings and these days it's important we recognize those meanings. They legally sold him a part for far less than they paid for it. Theft is the act of stealing. That didn't happen here. People can argue about the moral implications but in doing so we shouldn't turn it into something it's not.
John_in_SC likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So VMF - what would you do?
Well, you asked.

If you keep it, it's theft. There, I said it. M

Sorry.

John

To imply a fellow member of the forum is a thief is blatantly against the rules. That beside the point your assertion that someone who paid for a product at the advertised price as being theft is nothing short of absurd.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Just one more thing, after reading some of the replies....

John, as an Officer in the Armed Forces, would you consider keeping the supercharger as the "honorable" thing to do? After all, you aren't just a common man. You chose to be held to a higher standard.

Just my additional $0.015.
Yeah, sorry man. If this is true, you have to return it. Even if you take the credit, would you be holding yourself to a higher standard?

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:59 PM

Here's what I'd do:

Knowing full well that someone there screwed up mightily, and will probably lose their job over this, I think I'd ask the company you're buying from for one simple concession: "If I return this to you, can I buy everything else forever more from you at employee pricing?"

That way you are not effectively 'stealing' the supercharger, you are not going to be taking money out of their pockets, and both you AND they can benefit from this bad situation.

If they're not willing to do that for you, and you really want to put on a supercharger, then you'll just have to decide if your conscience lets you keep it or not. I couldn't blame you either way.

Best wishes!

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page