Vendor error in pricing - what would you do (long read) - Vintage Mustang Forums
 101Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Vendor error in pricing - what would you do (long read)

Hello VMF - long read but tried to make it entertaining.

I suppose this is a follow up to my threads regarding my 20+HP search in the MODS forum. So - a few weeks ago I was doing a random search on 289/302 parts on one of the big online vendors and saw a Super Charger for a ridiculous price. So ridiculous - you may as well say 99.5% below what the other guys were listing it at. So being curious - I said WTH and added it to my cart. Sure enough, it showed up in my cart at that stupid low price. I thought to myself no way it will let me process the payment at this price so I went for it and sure enough.....it processed and I got the standard "thank you for purchase email". Thought to myself I need to throw this opportunity up on VMF but by the time I logged in - the vendor had corrected the price. How do I know this? Because I tried to buy 10 more at that price but they corrected it. Literally corrected within 5 min of me checking out. So now, I'm like there is *NO WAY* they will ship it to me at this price. Surely someone will catch the error and cancel the order with apologies. Nope.....about a week later, Big Brown shows up and my door with a 75lb package full of horse power and torque. Wow. Crazy.

So a few weeks has passed and I haven't installed it yet due to the other requirements for a supercharged engine....you know....brakes.....fuel delivery.....carb....blah blah....and my phone rang. It was the vendor.

Them: "Sir, we made a terrible error in the pricing of the supercharger.....there was an error on the website......we would really appreciate it if you could return the supercharger so we don't eat it with the manufacturer"

Me: "Hmmmmm....I just bought it at your listed price and you sold it to me. How you going to make it right for me?"

Them: "We can sell it to you for 1/2 the correct price......or you can return it and get a bunch of credit (not as much as the value of the SC...but substantial)......but since we sold it at that price - it is up to you if you want to keep it at the price you bought it for. We can't do much about it. We can't charge you more.....it would be really swell if you returned it and took some credits from us"

Me: "So I can keep it at the stupid price you sold it to me....."

Them: "Yes.....we can't do anything about that but we would like it back and compensate you as we said previously"

Me: "So my options are to keep it at the nothing charge.......voluntarily give you 1/2 the price to make you happy......or return it and get some credits (still less than what I can sell the SC for on the market)......"

Them: "Yes"

Me: "what happens if I keep it and say no"

Them: "Nothing. We sold it to you at that agreed price but you maybe blacklisted from buying from us again"

Me: "Okay....thanks for the call - I have to go move some furniture but I'll return your call with an my answer"

Them: "Sigh.....okay.....thanks for picking up the call."

So - I plan on calling them back and I'm 99.9999% certain I have made up my mind. To bad so sad. I stumbled across something they listed wrong - bought it and received it. They shipped it.....I got it. Not my problem......just an opportunity that fell out of the sky and I took advantage of it. They are a gigantic company - they can suck it up. Shoot - I've bought enough stuff from them in the past. Per the guy on the other end of the phone - they sold 7 at that price. He called 4 of the 7 and they all said "go pound sand".

So VMF - what would you do? Like I said - ridiculously priced, Not much of a chance of me ever buying this otherwise.

Thanks
J

----------------------------------------------------------------
John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
1966 Coupe - 302 with some stuff on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:04 PM

#poundsand......

All day
If it were a individual probably would work it out... big company making millions.... your problem.

Just me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John_in_SC likes this.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhunts View Post
#poundsand......

All day
If it were a individual probably would work it out... big company making millions.... your problem.
200$ million in annual revenue per google.

Hate to be their e-commerce guy right now though.

----------------------------------------------------------------
John in SC
Formerly Studiopet_2005
1966 Coupe - 302 with some stuff on it

Last edited by John_in_SC; 06-20-2019 at 10:12 PM.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
That's a tough one....

On one hand the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do would be to return it and take the offer of credits. That's like the "Do unto others...." philosophy that so many folks seem to have forgotten over the last 50 years.

On the other hand the transaction could be considered part of the "cost of doing business" in this modern age and companies having to recognize that people will take advantage of mistakes.

I think it's going to have to be your conscience that's going to have to live with whichever decision you make, tomorrow and years down the road...

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 PM

Yep, that's a tough one alright. I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do since you're the only one that can make that decision.

For me, well it would probably depend on the vendor. If its a vendor that I'd done business with in the past and received timely shipping and good customer service from, I'd probably feel as though I had a good business relationship with them and every time I drove the car I'd probably feel like I'd stolen from them. So myself, I'd probably give them half their regular price and keep the unit. They did make the mistake after all and should be penalized for it, but giving them something back would probably assuage my conscience enough to enjoy the supercharger.

On the other hand, if its a vendor that I'd been screwed over by in the past? Pound sand.
capemustang and John_in_SC like this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 PM

As a small business owner, if I posted a price I would have to live with it, mistake or not. I would do as the vendor did as far as calling and asking if you, as the customer, would accept my offer to try and alleviate my mistake. If you refused, you refused. The only thing I disagree with from the vendor is "We sold it to you at that agreed price but you maybe blacklisted from buying from us again". I personally would not "blacklist" you for my mistake...

In my feeble mind, I may could recoup some of my loss by keeping you as a lifelong customer by letting you keep your good fortune...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread

Last edited by Turnall; 06-20-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
You have to sleep with your thoughts each night. Sure, you can keep it. You can tell people 5 years from now that you got a brand new $50 supercharger, or you can tell people you returned a mess up and scored $400 of credit.

If it were me, I'd return it (them paying freight) and I get a wallet of credit from them for doing nothing more than returning a box. It would make me feel good. Karma's a witch. Sounds like you'll be using the credit in the future based on past purchases.
TheRktmn, BlakeTX and 1968Cally like this.

Bill

6F07C
Color: Y
Trim: 22
Axle: 6
Trans: 6
Build Date: July 18, 1966

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM

For me, its an easy one, but then Im a really old guy from back in the day. An example from an elder: if you found a pay phone (remember them?) that allowed you to make calls without a dime would you do so? No, because you would be getting something that you did not pay for.
You knew it was a mistake when you ordered it. You got something without paying a fair or even remotely reasonable price. So yes, it is the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM68GT390 View Post
For me, its an easy one, but then Im a really old guy from back in the day. An example from an elder: if you found a pay phone (remember them?) that allowed you to make calls without a dime would you do so? No, because you would be getting something that you did not pay for.
You knew it was a mistake when you ordered it. You got something without paying a fair or even remotely reasonable price. So yes, it is the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do.

Yeh its Karma. Return it you know you are struggling with the right answer or you wouldn't have asked it. My brother back in the day order a pc from Gateway (remember them?) and received two for the price of one when they duplicated the order. At the time they were around 2k each. He returned it and he was living at home fresh college with not much money and my dad said it was the right thing to do. So what would dad or mom say?

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 PM

For me, while it would be tempting to keep it, I like to have a clear conscience and I do believe in karma. So my choice would be take one of their offers and make it right rather than keeping it.
TheRktmn, Caper50 and BlakeTX like this.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 PM

So, if you karma guys had a Mustang shell for sale on ebay for $5,000 but you meant to list it for $500, you would say no to the guy that hit the buy it now for 5K?

Just wondering...

I fully understand that the price was wrong on the transaction the OP is telling us about. However, he saw the deal, paid the price and received the part. Did the vendor lose money, obviously. But how is that the consumers fault?

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
So, if you karma guys had a Mustang shell for sale on ebay for $5,000 but you meant to list it for $500, you would say no to the guy that hit the buy it now for 5K?

Just wondering...

I fully understand that the price was wrong on the transaction the OP is telling us about. However, he saw the deal, paid the price and received the part. Did the vendor lose money, obviously. But how is that the consumers fault?

Allen
The point here is the the buyer of the dirt cheap supercharger CLEARLY knew the price was typo, had Jeg's never contacted him after the sale then hurray for him but that's not how it worked out. As far as the ebay comparison, absolutely yes I would tell the buyer of the mustang shell it was a typo, and maybe add that he might want to reconsider hobbies if he thought the thing was worth $5k. Some call it integrity.

A coworker of mine was recently selling a 1959 Bolens lawn tractor for $50 on facebook marketplace, a guy came to his house and told him his price was a little light, gave him $250 and took it home. Proof good (some may say foolish) people still exist.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757

Last edited by Lightning; 06-21-2019 at 01:14 AM.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:36 AM

I hate doing the right thing. You're still well ahead, even if you do the right thing.

Whatever you do, don't put that supercharger on your car because it might kill you.

Karma sux!
wills70 and Caper50 like this.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:50 AM

So for $50 you can get close to $1000 of credit with them? Or the supercharger still 50% cheaper than you could have bought anywhere else?

Its all WIN WIN for you. The only question you need to answer is what will make you feel better. Some dude probably has his job on the line.
Depends on how much you want or need to win. All of the deals are a huge win - not that easy a decision really but there are two choices that are clearly more ethically the right thing to do.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 AM

Right is right whatever that is for you.

I do wonder if you would have received a call if they realized that they overcharged you.

1966 Coupe "The Blue Falcon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page