Radiator recommendations - Vintage Mustang Forums
 11Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Radiator recommendations

I am stuck waiting on a tow truck due to an overheating issue. Possibly a stuck thermostat and poor condition radiator. While waiting on the tow truck, I have decided to research a new radiator. The current one is old and seems to have poor flow. What do you all recommend for radiators? I have a 1969 vert with a 302 Holley 4 barrel. Thank you in advance.

1969 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:27 PM

ACP
capemustang likes this.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:19 PM

I've been running a Champion 3 row core aluminium radiator for several years with no problems.
capemustang and guitarman584 like this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:06 PM

1967 - 1970 Mustang Aluminum Radiator 22" PS Outlet I have one of these in my 65. What can I say. It cools the car. Electric fans would be nice for traffic though.
capemustang likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
ACP Maxcore.....

+1000

NPD and Virginia Classic Mustang carry them..
capemustang likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your suggestions and help. My radiator is currently a 2 core. My newest question is - should I continue with a 2 core or go to a 3 core? I do not have AC or power steering, and it is a manual transmission. I am clueless about the differences regarding the number of cores needed. Thank you in advance.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Garage
I got US Radiator from NPD. made in LA $375
well built and nice fit

other than that I liked Griffen
69bosssvt and capemustang like this.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capemustang View Post
Thank you for all your suggestions and help. My radiator is currently a 2 core. My newest question is - should I continue with a 2 core or go to a 3 core? I do not have AC or power steering, and it is a manual transmission. I am clueless about the differences regarding the number of cores needed. Thank you in advance.
Look for a two row with at least 1" cooling tubes. The ACP Max core is a really good radiator also for less money The ECP radiator is a great value. I have the ECP in my cars.
Mustang Aluminum Radiators
capemustang likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM

I put the ECP into my 66/302 and it cools it very nicely. I still have an old mechanical flex fan, and it keeps it cool down here in hot a$$ Florida, although i had to make a run for it once when the beach traffic was backed up. I plan to put electric fans on it, but after my long list of things to do on my car. I would HIGHLY recommend this radiator, it matched perfectly into where the old one came out..
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
I've been running a Champion 3 row core aluminium radiator for several years with no problems.
That's a relief. This is what I ordered!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capemustang View Post
There still are a lot of questions you probably know the answer to:

Do you want to keep stock appearance and stock fan/shroud?

Do you want better cooling or was stock size good enough, since you don't even have a/c?

If you go with a stock replacement type with brass cores, you won't find cores larger than 5/8" because brass is too weak to make it 1" like an aluminum ACP, Griffin or Ron Davis. Tests show that 2 cores 1" wide cool better than 3 or 4 little 5/8" cores, lots of theories behind the heat transfer, flow, etc.

I went with a big-block sized Wizard Cooling radiator that has two 1.25" cores and dual Spal brushless (variable speed) fans because I drive in stop-and-go city traffic a lot with a/c. It's got an aftermarket look so even painted black, which I'd never do, it'll still not look stock.

Don't just jump on the electric fan train because most cool worse than the proper mechanical fan and shroud. What's funny is Champion/Northern Radiators are the cheapest radiators out there, with the least expensive epoxy sealed core (as opposed to welded), but I see SO many builders using them, and some are pretty high dollar projects. Kinda blows me away. They say their warranty dept is good too, but I'd rather spend a little more and not have to use the warranty.....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM

Garage
Champion 2 row and the upper radiator hose filter of your choice

Brad
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
That's a relief. This is what I ordered!
I also bought a cap with a sacrificial zinc anode. Its supposed to keep corrosion from building up due to the coolant going through dissimilar metals.
capemustang and Fishfreq like this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
I also bought a cap with a sacrificial zinc anode. Its supposed to keep corrosion from building up due to the coolant going through dissimilar metals.
Also a good idea! I just might do that

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
There still are a lot of questions you probably know the answer to:

Do you want to keep stock appearance and stock fan/shroud?

Do you want better cooling or was stock size good enough, since you don't even have a/c?

If you go with a stock replacement type with brass cores, you won't find cores larger than 5/8" because brass is too weak to make it 1" like an aluminum ACP, Griffin or Ron Davis. Tests show that 2 cores 1" wide cool better than 3 or 4 little 5/8" cores, lots of theories behind the heat transfer, flow, etc.

I went with a big-block sized Wizard Cooling radiator that has two 1.25" cores and dual Spal brushless (variable speed) fans because I drive in stop-and-go city traffic a lot with a/c. It's got an aftermarket look so even painted black, which I'd never do, it'll still not look stock.

Don't just jump on the electric fan train because most cool worse than the proper mechanical fan and shroud. What's funny is Champion/Northern Radiators are the cheapest radiators out there, with the least expensive epoxy sealed core (as opposed to welded), but I see SO many builders using them, and some are pretty high dollar projects. Kinda blows me away. They say their warranty dept is good too, but I'd rather spend a little more and not have to use the warranty.....
Thank you for all the info. Until this happened, I didn't have any issues with cooling. Because of this, I don't think I will change the size of the radiator. I believe it is just that the current radiator is finished. I can't tell if it was original to the car. it appears old but that doesn't mean it's original. After reading all of the suggestions and information, I think I am going to go with an aluminum radiator (ACP MaxCore) and use the original shroud. I know the aluminum isn't stock but right now I would like to be able to drive my car worry-free. I appreciate the info about the Spal fans. I have been thinking of installing one due to the stop-and-go traffic but wasn't sure. I really appreciate all the suggestions, tips,help from everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxcoredescription.jpg (18.3 KB, 65 views)

1969 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page