best fitting aftermarket doors - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

best fitting aftermarket doors

I've searched the forum for opinions but still not finding what i need to know. What manufacturer is the better bet to get a good fitting door. Sherman, Goodmark, APC, Dynacorn?
please help.

1965 A code 4 speed FB red/red
1967 S code GT 4spd standard black Int.
1971 TR6 resale Red on Black
1967 FB GTA A code C4 - Loaded
67 S code Vert deluxe Int C6
1972 TR6 Black on Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Find some good original doors. IMO you will be happier with the fit and look vice aftermarket doors.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Call National Parts Depot, they will know.
Caper50 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastang68 View Post
Find some good original doors. IMO you will be happier with the fit and look vice aftermarket doors.
Well, if that was an option, we really wouldn't need reproduction doors. Seriously, it's getting quite difficult to find original Mustang doors these days. When you do find them, they are almost always completely clapped out. When they're not clapped out, they are VERY expensive.

So, to the OP's question, as suggested above, call NPD and ask for the best available. They'll know what it is and they will have it.

FYI, companies like Dynacorn are resellers. They don't make anything. They buy parts from different manufacturers and it's always changing. There's no way hobbyists like us can keep up with. NPD does keep up with it.

I ordered reproduction doors from NPD for my 1970 Mustang. I think they were from Golden Legion. They actually fit better than the factory doors. (My factory doors were rusted beyond any hope of repair.)

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:09 AM

I picked up a set of doors from CJís..There listed as CJ Classics. Fit was very good, I had to move the upper hinge cage on the left door. But overall happy with the fit and finish..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:36 AM

I bought Dynacorn (65/6) doors from CJ and had very bad luck with fit issues. It took a ton of straightening and body work to get the contours to line up right. The driver door was so bad, I ended up getting another set from NPD. I don’t know the brand name, but they are actually less expensive, the description says “tested for excellent fit”. These were MUCH better, especially at the gap at the top of the fender. The Dynacorn shape just wasn’t parallel to the body line of the fender. I decided to live with the passenger door, because of the amount of work to swap it, and it was somewhat better fitted. I’m now using that second door on my current project, and am very happy with the fit. I have an original door in fair shape for the driver side. It had some minor rust holes in the lower edge. I sandblasted, then used lead filler to replair them, and brazing in a few spots around the latch. Some POR-15, then epoxy primer.

The biggest problem with both of the brands of replacement doors is the texture of the interior door stamping. It is not as deep and detailed as original stampings. Still, it works out to be a solid stand-in. It ends up looking like an old door with one too many layers of paint in the interior.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM
RTM

I spoke with NPD and was told the Golden Legion doors fit the best but the wing window fit wasn't perfect. But the heavier gauge doors, forget who makes them had a better fitting wing window but over all fit wasn't as good as the Golden Legion doors. This was for my 66 coupe. I have yet to buy doors or fenders but plan on going with the Golden Legion parts. This is after researching it and hearing directly from NPD.
Turnall likes this.

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ustangpic1.jpg[/IMG]

My old car. Working on a 66 coupe with my son.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Ive seen alot of comments about the fit at the top of the door at the fender. I bought a pair of 65/66 Dynacorn doors from CJPP in July of 2015 and just got them installed this past winter. Mine also have the odd shaped gap on top at the fender, however I chose not to fix it because the original date coded doors I took off the car looked exactly the same. Actually the fit of both dynacorn doors was exactly like the originals, with the exception of the front upper hole for the passengers side wing window needing to be opened up, based on everything I had read I found it surprising they fit so well. I will say it took 2 attempts to get decent doors from CJ's, the first pair looked they were dropped from an airplane when I opened the boxes.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757

Last edited by Lightning; 06-23-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTM View Post
I spoke with NPD and was told the Golden Legion doors fit the best but the wing window fit wasn't perfect. But the heavier gauge doors, forget who makes them had a better fitting wing window but over all fit wasn't as good as the Golden Legion doors. This was for my 66 coupe. I have yet to buy doors or fenders but plan on going with the Golden Legion parts. This is after researching it and hearing directly from NPD.
Finally back in the saddle from the weekend, and I think I need to clear up a bit of confusion (it's easy to get confused on these doors LOL!!)

Our more-expensive heavier-gauge doors with the more-substantial reinforcement bar come from Musclecar GT (MGT), which is the same place that Dynacorn gets them from. Essentially the same doors.

Our less-expensive doors come from Golden Legion (GL).

Good friends of mine who've been in the Mustang Restoration business for decades (they used to do all the install work for Mustang Monthly) had been using the thicker/heavier doors from MGT/Dynacorn, but had to modify them in the vent-window area to get things to fit properly.

Earlier this year I shipped them a pair of our less-expensive GL doors to test-install, and lo-and-behold, THEY PREFERRED them. Said that they had their own little short-list of "tweaks" needed, but that overall they fit better out of the box, and there were no issues to be dealt with in the vent-window areas.

So the above-quoted post had things switched-up a bit. The GL doors are the doors that do not have vent window issues.

Hope this adequately explains/elaborates things for the O.P..

Either way, either manufacturer door will get you to the finish line with a decent fit. It's just a matter of what's more important to you.. 1-gauge thicker metal and a bigger bar inside the door, or better fit and execution right out of the box.

Rick
NPD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM

if you're patient and don't mind hunting, good oem doors can still be had cheap. I bought two oem rust free door shells for, sit down, $40 for the passenger side, and $100 for my driver side. you just need cash in hand and be ready to jump when they come up.
Fastang68 likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try and find some used OEM doors. I onto a lead with a guy who has some decent doors he says but he's just hard to set up a time with because he travels a lot.

JT
Fastang68 likes this.

1965 A code 4 speed FB red/red
1967 S code GT 4spd standard black Int.
1971 TR6 resale Red on Black
1967 FB GTA A code C4 - Loaded
67 S code Vert deluxe Int C6
1972 TR6 Black on Black
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
if you're patient and don't mind hunting, good oem doors can still be had cheap. I bought two oem rust free door shells for, sit down, $40 for the passenger side, and $100 for my driver side. you just need cash in hand and be ready to jump when they come up.
Where are you hunting to find your parts? I donít even need doors but for those prices I would scoop them up

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Where are you hunting to find your parts? I donít even need doors but for those prices I would scoop them up
those are not the normal, but it does happen. believe it or not, CL of all places

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:41 AM

Be patient you can't bet the fit of an orginal parts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Finally back in the saddle from the weekend, and I think I need to clear up a bit of confusion (it's easy to get confused on these doors LOL!!)

Our more-expensive heavier-gauge doors with the more-substantial reinforcement bar come from Musclecar GT (MGT), which is the same place that Dynacorn gets them from. Essentially the same doors.

Our less-expensive doors come from Golden Legion (GL).

Good friends of mine who've been in the Mustang Restoration business for decades (they used to do all the install work for Mustang Monthly) had been using the thicker/heavier doors from MGT/Dynacorn, but had to modify them in the vent-window area to get things to fit properly.

Earlier this year I shipped them a pair of our less-expensive GL doors to test-install, and lo-and-behold, THEY PREFERRED them. Said that they had their own little short-list of "tweaks" needed, but that overall they fit better out of the box, and there were no issues to be dealt with in the vent-window areas.

So the above-quoted post had things switched-up a bit. The GL doors are the doors that do not have vent window issues.

Hope this adequately explains/elaborates things for the O.P..

Either way, either manufacturer door will get you to the finish line with a decent fit. It's just a matter of what's more important to you.. 1-gauge thicker metal and a bigger bar inside the door, or better fit and execution right out of the box.

Rick
NPD

Rick, So how do you tell one door from another? Do you know where CJ get there doors from? They have there regular line of doors and the CJ Classicís..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page