Maier 1" drop front spindles - opinions? Experiences? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nailbender
  • 1 Post By Jsams
  • 3 Post By Nailbender

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Maier 1" drop front spindles - opinions? Experiences?

For those of you with opinions, what's been your experience with the Maier Racing 1" drop spindles for VMF's?

I impulse bought a set on eBay yesterday, used, installed, but like new, never really driven. Did you see 'em? I'm the guy that clicked before you did .

They good, bad, indifferent? I'm of the feeling that most everything Mike makes is good, maybe expensive, but good for sure.

The've been a ways down on my wish list but now they're shipped and on their way. I'd always dreamed of running big wide 18's and seeing huge Wilwood 6 piston binders peeking out from behind them. Add that they have a shorter arm that quickens the steering, and a fatter stronger '70 style spindle and they're Wilwood ready mounts? Clickin' 'Buy it NOW' was too easy!!

I don't think I'd run 315's like Mike does, maybe 285's? Opinions? I've got borgeson ps and aftermarket everything else in the front end, Arning drop done too.

What a bummer. Now I gotta save for 6 pot Wilwoods AND 18" wheels ...

Last edited by Fishfreq; 06-23-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM

I don't think Mike Maier has anything to do with Maier Inc anymore. He has his own company and website.

I'm running CSRP 1.4" drop spindles now and was interested in the Maier Inc. spindles but I have zero interest in running Wilwood brakes. I'm curious to see how they work out for you
Fishfreq likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 PM

I like the idea of the spindle but not the requirement to run different brakes. BTW two or so years ago, the caliper bracket broke off one of those spindles at an auto Ross event. Since then, the bracket is reenforced.
Does the CSRP spindle have the standard square 4 bolt brake mounting pad?
Fishfreq likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Supporting Member

Maier racing is his dads old business now ran by his brother. Mike has us own business, MMI (Mike Maier Inc). He has his own spindles he sells but they very well could be the same. I’m sure you will be pleased though. They have been in the mustang business for 40-50 years

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Supporting Member

Nail bender, why don’t you want to run Wilwood brakes?

Work in progress
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Nail bender, why donít you want to run Wilwood brakes?
They are way overkill for the auto crossing that I do. They are expensive and you are stuck with their expensive rotors and pads. I got the Mustang Steve "2008 GT" brackets and run EBC 12.4" rotors and red stuff pads.

I'm still interested in the Maier drop spindles. They are mild steel so you can weld your own brake mounting brackets on and shorten the steering arms as needed to get lock to lock steering on R&P steering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1272.jpg (335.2 KB, 7 views)
englishman, Rowdy and Fishfreq like this.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Not a good opinion of the spindles.
Some re-design is in order..... if it hasn't already occurred.
Photo 1 is how it's supposed to look. Photo 2 you don't ever want to see.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_30471-e1469149305490 (1).jpg (376.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Maier spindle failure 2x.jpg (34.0 KB, 72 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Not a good opinion of the spindles.
Some re-design is in order..... if it hasn't already occurred.
Photo 1 is how it's supposed to look. Photo 2 you don't ever want to see.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Can you elaborate? When I click on the second pic it keeps messing up so I can’t really see what’s going on. That’s the bad part about using my phone to hang out on VMF

Work in progress
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate? When I click on the second pic it keeps messing up so I can’t really see what’s going on. That’s the bad part about using my phone to hang out on VMF
Caliper bracket sheared off! Caliper is hanging out under the lower ball joint.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
I like the idea of the spindle but not the requirement to run different brakes. BTW two or so years ago, the caliper bracket broke off one of those spindles at an auto Ross event. Since then, the bracket is reenforced.
I noticed that some pictures show the caliper bracket reinforced and some are not. The ones I bid on are definitely reinforced, and it looks pretty beefy there where that bracket cracked on GT289's pic.

Last edited by Fishfreq; 06-24-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Maier racing is his dads old business now ran by his brother. Mike has us own business, MMI (Mike Maier Inc). He has his own spindles he sells but they very well could be the same. Iím sure you will be pleased though. They have been in the mustang business for 40-50 years
Yes, aware of the break-up, and Mike does sometimes, or at least used to, advertise some of his dad's items on his site. These drop spindles, he does NOT have on his site. He's got some other fat spindle forged unit that can't be modified or welded.

I'll post pics when I get them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
....They are way overkill for the auto crossing that I do. They are expensive and you are stuck with their expensive rotors and pads. I got the Mustang Steve "2008 GT" brackets and run EBC 12.4" rotors and red stuff pads.

I'm still interested in the Maier drop spindles. They are mild steel so you can weld your own brake mounting brackets on and shorten the steering arms as needed to get lock to lock steering on R&P steering.
I don't like that they're for Wilwood only either, wish they would have drilled the plate for a few options, but compared to alternatives like Brembo, the Wilwood look like a bargain!

The quicker steering idea got me too although I'm not R&P right now. Borgeson PS.

Like that Mustang Steve GT bracket setup. I've already got 4 piston SSBC's. The places I want to try the big 6 pistons is on open road courses where you're scrubbin' down from full-tilt-boogie. Haulin' down from high-speed and having brake fade like that is no fun!

I could be opening a can of worms? Maybe? Maybe not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page