Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Cleaning up old parts

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  CHOCK 
#1 ·
I am upgrading the front brakes on my convertible so I decided I would clean up the old set of spindles I have and start with those. I just love taking something like this thats 50+ years old and making it like new. The cheap blasting cabinet from HF drives me crazy with all it's issues, but it's one of my best investments. Paid for itself several times over in either having someone else blast parts, or buying new parts.

After blasting, I sprayed them with some metallic paint from the auto parts store and called it good. I like the contrast between that color and the other black brake parts, not that anyone is ever going to see them again. But still. Old parts become new again, and look like I have never seen them before since they are older than me.

See less See more
#3 ·
NIce. I just don't have room in my garage, if I could start over I would have gotten a house with a bigger garage. :) Be filled with sandblasting cabinet, welder, and a lift. etc...

#5 ·
Best thing I ever bought was a bench top blast cabinet. Limited on the size of parts I can clean but its amazing how nice and shiny things look! Mine is tucked under my stairs and I bring it outside to use and to keep the dust out there.

#6 ·
Looks great!! I had some morbid fascination with restoring parts as well. One thing to consider is Evaporust. It is like magic. The brake drum in the pic went from the rusty mess to the darker gray with just evaporust and zero effort. Then a quick bead blast in the cabinet to remove the discoloration, and then rattle can cast iron grey.

I built a stand in the corner for my blast cabinet and sized it's height for my working height on a "stepstool" with a pretty large platform step. Works great and room for the welder and press

Auto part Rim Wheel Tire Automotive tire

Rusty Mess---------------------------------------------Evaporust

Bead Blast----------------------------------------------Rattle Can

Machine Small appliance

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.