Repair Deluxe door panels - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NEFaurora
  • 1 Post By RickD

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Repair Deluxe door panels

A buddy has given me a pair of Deluxe door panels. Some of the retaining clip holes are damaged. I'd like to use these. So, I'm thinking that I can mix some epoxy and trowel over the damaged backing board so as to avoid adding any thickness, while improving the strength. What have others done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:42 AM

I have used fiberglass cloth. It is time consuming, kind of, as, after you put one patch on, you have limited ime to hold it to the door to made the clip fit the hole in the door. Patch size of about 1 1/2" X 1 1/2".

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:27 AM

I also used fiberglass cloth and polyester resin to repair my old set with great success. Before installing my new door trims, I took the time to re-enforce every mounting point prior to the first installation. I cut about 1 1/4" circles from the cloth and then pulled each one into an oval shape as I laid it on the back side. The polyester resin cures clear so it was very easy to trim the hole/slots out before they were fully cured. Ive had them on and off several times and they have performed well.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

Last edited by rhutt; 06-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 PM

If you have several damaged areas...I would probably lay fiberglass(or kevlar, or carbon fiber, whatever) cloth over the entire back of the panel and add resin to the large areas first, then work each hole one at a time to give enough time as the resin sets...in the end the whole piece will be significantly stronger. After the first layer has set up, you could come back and add a second layer over the whole thing at once for added strength...2 layers of fiberglass cloth isnt likely to add much additional thickness.

Alternatively...its possible using a hair dryer and a spray bottle of water to seperate the old fiberboard panel from the upholstery entirely and then make a new door card from some material of your choice that is better than fiberboard...however that process will be a lot trickier.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
For the heck of it I once made new boards for a pair of '67 Deluxe panels I got at a swap meet. Kind of a "nothing to lose" situation. Long time ago. They kinda sorta came out OK but their real issue was being very warped. For just fixing some holes I would be all about the fiberglass patch methods offered up so far. Replacing the cards was NO fun at all.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I's always used 5 Minute Epoxy to repair the backs of panels... If at worst, Just glue the clip(s) directly to the panel.. Just make sure that they are in the right correct orientation before you glue them though....lol..

It's always worked for me....and they are solid as a rock..

)

Tony K.
DrHawkeye likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Can fiberglass cloth be used with epoxy? Or must one use the stuff intended for fiberglass?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
I's always used 5 Minute Epoxy to repair the backs of panels... If at worst, Just glue the clip(s) directly to the panel.. Just make sure that they are in the right correct orientation before you glue them though....lol..

It's always worked for me....and they are solid as a rock..

)

Tony K.
I just did something similar with Gorilla Glue and it seemed to work ok. You'd think after all these years they'd use something more durable than that fiberboard that just seems to break if you breathe on it too hard. Or have to remove the panel.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:52 AM

I replaced the clips with Neodymium magnets from these guys. JB welded them on the panel. The higher the number, the stronger they are. Little tip, Don't get your fingers pinched between two!
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/categori...BoC4-4QAvD_BwE
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
Can fiberglass cloth be used with epoxy? Or must one use the stuff intended for fiberglass?
Yes, you can use epoxy resin with the same cloth used in polyester layups. Epoxy is generally thicker than polyester and requires a few drops of acetone to thin it to a consistency that lends itself to laminating glass cloth. I have used Devcon 2 ton epoxy (available at your local hardware store) with great success. It has a longer working time than most over the counter products. I squeeze about 1 1/2" stripe from the syringe and add about 5 drops of acetone while mixing. I use the same formula as a topcoat for my hand painted fishing lures and never had a failure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devcon.jpg (33.9 KB, 33 views)

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
I replaced the clips with Neodymium magnets from these guys. JB welded them on the panel. The higher the number, the stronger they are. Little tip, Don't get your fingers pinched between two!
Now that's a fabulous idea. How hard is it to get the panel off if you need to?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
What size?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
What size?
Here is a link with pictures, scroll down to the 16th reply.
FYI FORD MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum Door Panels and an idea I want to see if anyone else has tried.
DrHawkeye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page