"The Right Stuff" -- Your Experience - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
"The Right Stuff" -- Your Experience

Hello all, I'm in the process of assembling the top end of my 289. I posted a thread about what sealers and gaskets to use a while back, and there was a general consensus that "The Right Stuff" worked well. However, there was conflicting information about its usage:

Do you use it in lieu of the gasket itself?

...Or do you use it in addition to the gasket?

Thanks all for your input!

Alex

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
Where?

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:20 PM

For the ends of the valley, no gasket, just a thick layer of Right Stuff.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Works awesome. Wouldn’t use anything else.

Regards,
Patrick
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM

Works particularly well when you're under some POS, working against gravity and need to seal something up
with no one else available for "extra hands."

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 PM

The Right Stuff is the bomb when used in place of the intake end seals (when properly applied.) Oil does not affect it like it will some silicones and I always use it on my cars. The only issue is when you need to remove the intake in the future that you must remember to use a razor blade or carpet knife to slice through the whole length of Right Stuff before trying to pry the manifold up.

I would definitely NOT use it on thin metal items like valve covers or oil pans for fear of not being able to get them off in the future without destroying them in the process.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip:

Dart 434W NA, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear, 93 octane pump gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Right Stuff to me is basically RTV that is a bit thicker in consistency than others and seems to set up "harder". I've had a pressure can of it for years and like it but basically never use it. My go-to is Permatex Ultra Gray. I find the regular tube a bit more intuitive to use I guess. I can control what I want out of it very precisely. I also like how the gray color hides VERY well around cast aluminum. It's what I've been using instead of intake cork end seals for years. It is oil proof when applied correctly. I have to slice it with a razor blade before attempting to remove an intake I've installed with it. A tube fits nicely in my drawer of other sealers and thread locks.

The actual intake gaskets are another thing. For years I've seen enough issues with the driver's side front water port. Even with the newer (well, sorta newish) gaskets with silicone imprinted on them. Every time I install these I put a thin coat of brushable Permatex Aircraft Gasket sealer around just that one port. An issue with this coolant port leaking seems to only rare its head in the very long term so most people don't see it. I find it interesting that not only are Ford's German-built "Cologne" engine prone to the exact same issue but also many iron block GM engines. All in the very long term.

Though I have more kinds of sealers and such than I'd care to list, I can happily do just about anything I want in the shop with just these two sealers. I consider Right Stuff and Ultra the same thing, just whichever dispenser style suits you more.

Oh, and RTV "rots". It sort of semi-congeals inside. You can tell it's done this by squeezing the tube. If it feels like it has little chunks in it then it has done this and is utterly useless. A sharp eyed person might catch me surreptiously squeezing the tube of RTV I am about to buy in the parts store. Most peopel say they've never seen this but after buying a couple of bum Versachem tubes it put me right off using that brand. I've had a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper do it but it was previously opened and in my sealer drawer I've no idea how long. I doubt Right Stuff in the pressure can has the rot issue but it does lose its charge over time, like any spray can. Thus the can I mentioned having on the shelf I've just found will not now dispense the product so I've no longer any way to use that half a can or better of not cheap sealer. I won't be buying another. I frankly don't do enough stuff to warrant buying the big caulking gun versions.
Groundpounder17 and Grimbrand like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Where?
Thank you for identifying another one of my questions!

Where do I use this stuff?

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising68 View Post
For the ends of the valley, no gasket, just a thick layer of Right Stuff.
Does that mean the front and back of the intake manifold?
Grimbrand likes this.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
Yep, I've got some here. I just need to know how to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Works particularly well when you're under some POS, working against gravity and need to seal something up
with no one else available for "extra hands."

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
In regards to engine building, how should I use it?

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis111 View Post
The Right Stuff is the bomb when used in place of the intake end seals (when properly applied.) Oil does not affect it like it will some silicones and I always use it on my cars. The only issue is when you need to remove the intake in the future that you must remember to use a razor blade or carpet knife to slice through the whole length of Right Stuff before trying to pry the manifold up.

I would definitely NOT use it on thin metal items like valve covers or oil pans for fear of not being able to get them off in the future without destroying them in the process.
Thanks for the information, and for the warning. Sounds like this stuff is pretty heavy-duty. I will use a basic sealer in places with thin metal!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Right Stuff to me is basically RTV that is a bit thicker in consistency than others and seems to set up "harder". I've had a pressure can of it for years and like it but basically never use it. My go-to is Permatex Ultra Gray. I find the regular tube a bit more intuitive to use I guess. I can control what I want out of it very precisely. I also like how the gray color hides VERY well around cast aluminum. It's what I've been using instead of intake cork end seals for years. It is oil proof when applied correctly. I have to slice it with a razor blade before attempting to remove an intake I've installed with it. A tube fits nicely in my drawer of other sealers and thread locks.

The actual intake gaskets are another thing. For years I've seen enough issues with the driver's side front water port. Even with the newer (well, sorta newish) gaskets with silicone imprinted on them. Every time I install these I put a thin coat of brushable Permatex Aircraft Gasket sealer around just that one port. An issue with this coolant port leaking seems to only rare its head in the very long term so most people don't see it. I find it interesting that not only are Ford's German-built "Cologne" engine prone to the exact same issue but also many iron block GM engines. All in the very long term.

Though I have more kinds of sealers and such than I'd care to list, I can happily do just about anything I want in the shop with just these two sealers. I consider Right Stuff and Ultra the same thing, just whichever dispenser style suits you more.

Oh, and RTV "rots". It sort of semi-congeals inside. You can tell it's done this by squeezing the tube. If it feels like it has little chunks in it then it has done this and is utterly useless. A sharp eyed person might catch me surreptiously squeezing the tube of RTV I am about to buy in the parts store. Most peopel say they've never seen this but after buying a couple of bum Versachem tubes it put me right off using that brand. I've had a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper do it but it was previously opened and in my sealer drawer I've no idea how long. I doubt Right Stuff in the pressure can has the rot issue but it does lose its charge over time, like any spray can. Thus the can I mentioned having on the shelf I've just found will not now dispense the product so I've no longer any way to use that half a can or better of not cheap sealer. I won't be buying another. I frankly don't do enough stuff to warrant buying the big caulking gun versions.
Wow, jackpot. This is a lot of information to take in.

It sounds like I should skip the cork on the intake manifold ends and go with a fat bead of The Right Stuff. Any advice or tips?

I think I've seen both types of dispenser mechanisms for each of those two products, just so you know @GypsyR !

Thanks all for pitching in. This is my first rebuild and all the sources I have don't go into nearly enough detail for me to feel comfortable and confident in my rebuild, because they either lack detail or seem to be a bit outdated.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Another forum member wrote up the best how-to on intake installation ever. However, I don't know where it is right off. Someone else will, I bet.

I can post my personal summary though. RTV does NOT stick to oil. Surfaces must be super clean and dry. I do a final wipe with alcohol or lacquer thinner. Take out the intake gasket kit. The end pieces might be simple strips of cork or formed pieces of silicone. Either way I do not care, despise those oil leaking POS's equally, and toss them straight in the trash. I have a set of four trimmed off bolts, one in each corner, that allow me to "plop" an intake straight down on top of the engine. It's a common practice. They are really nice to have but not essential.

Everything clean and ready. Aviation sealer on the water port and place the side gaskets. I flip the intake over and "paint" a coat of RTV where the end seals would go. Just enough to add solid color, like paint primer. Then lay down the fat RTV beads on the engine. Plop the intake down as straight as possible and as soon as possible. Make sure the side gaskets didn't move and add some bolts. Remove my installation studs and put in the rest of the bolts. Torque the bolts and abandon ship for at least the next 12 hours or more. If possible. Thick beads of RTV may appear to be cured and firm on the outside but they really need to cure all the way through. I have pulled some assembles apart hours later and found such big beads to still be totally liquid at their core. You can put the engine back into service sooner as the RTV beads don't have to seal against any pressure, it's just good practice.
cruising68 likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
Does that mean the front and back of the intake manifold?

Yes. Get everything super clean with no oil and lay a thick line across the block where the front and rear cork gaskets normally go. Also helps if you have a couple dowels or threaded studs to sit the intake manifold down nice and square.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page