Mushy Brake pedal remedy - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 20Likes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I've had DOT 5 in mine since the mid 90's
Hey "2nd"

Did/do you think you have experienced any damage to rubber seals with the silicone?

Also any guesses about the amount of fluid in the whole system? I have old dot 5 on the shelf and new in a bottle 11 ounces .. last one in store.

66 Fastback

289 Auto C4 "C" code with added 4 bbl

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by malstrom View Post
Hey "2nd"

Did/do you think you have experienced any damage to rubber seals with the silicone?

Also any guesses about the amount of fluid in the whole system? I have old dot 5 on the shelf and new in a bottle 11 ounces .. last one in store.
Nope. silicon does not harm rubber . I don't recall system capacity .will depend on variables anyway
malstrom likes this.

Brad
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Nope. silicon does not harm rubber . I don't recall system capacity .will depend on variables anyway
HI "2nd"

Thanks for the note. Can you tell me what technology you are running. Master cylinder and booster. Drum or disk? all "since the 90's" . or just some.

thanks

Lawrence

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poqman View Post
If you want to know the pressures at each wheel, then search for "SSBC A1704 Brake Pressure Gauge Kit". It will run you about $50.
Hey Pogman

I like the kit ! I dont like the price ! Tee Hee Hee. I wondered if there was a way to do a poor mans test on the Wheel cylinders. All I have is a bicycle pump , a car battery operated inflatable tire machine for emergency's and a Brake bleed kit with the hand pump and gauge.

The gauge will measure pull but not push. A parts counter employee theorized hooking the cylinder up to a compressor. But I have to make custom fitting?

what are your thoughts ?

66 Fastback

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Take the brakes apart and see what you need. Wheel cylinder repair kits are less than $2 each at RockAuto. Master cylinder repair kit is $15. New hoses less than $20 per set. You will need to replace any brake shoes that have silicone on them. Did you replace these soft parts when changing to silicone? If they were already old, they were destined to fail. At least you can give the car a good polish with the brake fluid. I've used DOT5 fluid on my car. It works well.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
Take the brakes apart and see what you need. Wheel cylinder repair kits are less than $2 each at RockAuto. Master cylinder repair kit is $15. New hoses less than $20 per set. You will need to replace any brake shoes that have silicone on them. Did you replace these soft parts when changing to silicone? If they were already old, they were destined to fail. At least you can give the car a good polish with the brake fluid. I've used DOT5 fluid on my car. It works well.
Oh Heavens! Polish the car ..thats funny. But it's true. So I just started to do some work after buying dot five fuild... I took off both front tires. I have to put the devil on my left should to rest. Both tires inner wall as crazy wet with fluid. I have not the parts removed yet. Maybe this week.

Past replacement I did not see trouble with pads. to my memory.

My suspicions are... did the DOT 5 do this to my cylinders? It has 3-5 years of heavy storage with about 20 miles of operation total and no trouble during that time. Could it just be bad re manufactured or bad new cylinders? is this typical wear? Rears are dust dry.

Thanks
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
HI "2nd"

Thanks for the note. Can you tell me what technology you are running. Master cylinder and booster. Drum or disk? all "since the 90's" . or just some.

thanks

Lawrence
Technology Uhm ,stone age Seriously though Granada disk up front stock drums in the back I did have a Granada (cast iron) master for a while now I'm using an aluminum 87ish Crown Vic master. I've replaced some of the lines with NICop I guess that's fairly new tech
Quote:
Oh Heavens! Polish the car ..thats funny. But it's true. So I just started to do some work after buying dot five fuild... I took off both front tires. I have to put the devil on my left should to rest. Both tires inner wall as crazy wet with fluid. I have not the parts removed yet. Maybe this week.

Past replacement I did not see trouble with pads. to my memory.

My suspicions are... did the DOT 5 do this to my cylinders? It has 3-5 years of heavy storage with about 20 miles of operation total and no trouble during that time. Could it just be bad re manufactured or bad new cylinders? is this typical wear? Rears are dust dry.

Thanks
log term storage is the reason I chose to use Dot 5 ,Doesn't absorb moisture. So I doubt that caused your cylinder issues. Seams to be some controversy on that though some say because it doesn't absorb moisture it will all sink to the bottom of the system, I've not experienced this .Dot 5 will make paint shine like no other and will not damage it , however at repaint time silicon will cause fish eyes if not removed properly.

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 06-29-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Have any of you looked into the speed bleeders, or other goodies like them? This seems like a reasonable solution to the one-man brake bleeding job.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed-bleeders/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kent-

It's your car, dammit.
Do what makes you happy
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketell View Post
OMG! Kent is NOT dead! Again.

And oh, speed bleeders are OK but I don't bother with them as I am going to use tubing to keep the fluid off my floor anyway. I prefer the clear tubing and jar method as detailed somewhere earlier in this thread.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Mushy Brake pedal remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
OMG! Kent is NOT dead! Again.

The reported of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

-Kent-

It's your car, dammit.
Do what makes you happy
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 AM

I put dot 5 in my 67 disk/drum GTA in 1982 and there were zero issues (I took the system apart for a full vehicle restoration in 2010.) At the time (1982) I put on a rebuilt MC, new rear brake cylinders, and rebuilt the K/H front calipers. Did not touch the lines, distribution block, or proportioning valve other than drain and flush them in place. Never noticed a problem with brake performance. The brakes were actually much improved but since the components were rebuilt/replaced at the same time I can't say if the dot 5 on its own was better or worse for performance. Over that nearly 30 years there were some years that I did not drive it at all, but I would start it up and back up and down the driveway. I think I went about 10 years between bleeding. For all of these reasons, with no negative experience, dot 5 went back in as part of the restoration.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to jvercellino
I've also had good experiences with the DOT5. I converted over to DOT5 back in the '90s because I knew I was too lazy to flush the brake system every few years. Last year was the first year since 1995 where I bled the brakes because I converted my front brakes over to disks from drum and the master cylinder from a single to a dual-reservoir.

Saying that, DOT5 is not cheap, so you might want to consider that as you decide on the brake fluid to use in your car.

John Vercellino
1965 Arcadian Blue Coupe
Purchased in 1970
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gta289 View Post
I put dot 5 in my 67 disk/drum GTA in 1982 and there were zero issues (I took the system apart for a full vehicle restoration in 2010.) At the time (1982) I put on a rebuilt MC, new rear brake cylinders, and rebuilt the K/H front calipers. Did not touch the lines, distribution block, or proportioning valve other than drain and flush them in place. Never noticed a problem with brake performance. The brakes were actually much improved but since the components were rebuilt/replaced at the same time I can't say if the dot 5 on its own was better or worse for performance. Over that nearly 30 years there were some years that I did not drive it at all, but I would start it up and back up and down the driveway. I think I went about 10 years between bleeding. For all of these reasons, with no negative experience, dot 5 went back in as part of the restoration.

Thank You John for your detailed experienced e-mail , And thank you John jvercellino also. I guess from the experience you two have given I will stay with the Dot 5 . But I cant understand why just 3-5 years of storage and 20 miles of driving the Cylinders front only would blow like t hey have. Its such a chore right now to get those cylinders out that I might as well convert to Disc which I have been wanting to do in the future> !

66 Fastback

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:30 PM

It's much easier to repair leaking wheel cylinders than convert to disk brakes. If they are not rusted inside, wheel cylinders can be rebuilt in less than 5 minutes without removing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page