65-66 Fan Shroud. A Little Hokey Don't You Think? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

65-66 Fan Shroud. A Little Hokey Don't You Think?

So my Mustang was humming along with the original 4 blade propeller 1" from the rad core with no shroud on an offshore 3 row copper brass radiator that came very new-ish when I bought the car. Car has always run cool to cold from day one even with the 331 and a 192º thermostat. We are taking 185º max cruising and maybe 205º at the start of autocross runs. Perfect don't you think! We certainly can't have that!

So I bought a 17" 6 blade fan and a thermostatically controlled fan clutch. The good news was the airplane sound was gone under the hood but my cruise temp was up to around 190º and my idle temp was heading upwards of 210º and climbing idling in the driveway on an 80º day. The original 4 blade propeller was 1" from the core, and the clutch fan setup is at 1 3/4" from the rad core.

A brain fart caused me to forget to order the fan shroud when I ordered the fan and fan clutch so I had some time to research the proper way to install the shroud. No wonder all the reviews say these fan shrouds don't fit, what a joke! Any rational person would assume you mount the fan shroud to the rad not a flimsy bracket. So I knew all this in advance and ordered the correct SD fan shroud and 3 core brackets. This is such a hokey mess with air gaps everywhere, I don't see how it can help. Does it even look right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1410 2.jpg (343.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1411.jpg (352.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1413.jpg (350.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1414.jpg (291.0 KB, 21 views)

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:55 PM

I does work. I had the four blade fan without the shroud and it would get hot and approach over heating when I was at a red light. I added the shroud and it helped. I then got a five blade fan and it never overheated again. I then rebuilt my motor, and replaced the five blade fan with a six blade thermal clutch fan. It never even approaches hot.

The shroud is enough to redirect the airflow through the radiator to reduce the coolant temp.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
I does work. I had the four blade fan without the shroud and it would get hot and approach over heating when I was at a red light. I added the shroud and it helped. I then got a five blade fan and it never overheated again. I then rebuilt my motor, and replaced the five blade fan with a six blade thermal clutch fan. It never even approaches hot.

The shroud is enough to redirect the airflow through the radiator to reduce the coolant temp.
Thats encouraging! I have an autocross school I'm attending this weekend and will be running the car very hard with temps near 90º and want some confidence this setup will work. Otherwise I'll just throw the the 4 blade propeller back in at least for the weekend.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

Last edited by Nailbender; 06-25-2019 at 11:33 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 AM

If your fan is 1-3/4" from the radiator, you might want to consider getting a 3/4" spacer and move the fan closer. Its a little hard to tell from your pics, but it doesn't look like the fan is far enough into the shroud to get your maximum benefit from it. The fan should be half in and half out of the shroud.
Sparky66 likes this.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I took it for a drive today after work with the shroud installed and drove it very hard with no overdrive 3200 rpm for almost a half hour. The outside temp was 89º and the temp gauge was reading 188º. Got home and idled it the driveway for 20 minutes and the temp was steady at 197º. Turned the car off for twenty minutes the restarted and let it idle for another twenty minutes and the temp settled in at 195º. Went for a drive and after 20 minutes the temp was down to 188º again. I used the FiTech handheld for my temperature measurements.

I'm going to call it successful but will bring the old fan and spacer with me this weekend just in case.

The shroud and mounting system is still hokey though!
Woodchuck, New2me and bbmach like this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
So I bought a 17" 6 blade fan and a thermostatically controlled fan clutch.
What brand is that fan clutch?

I recently tried a Hayden fan clutch with that same fan, and the fan clutch had a nasty wobble to it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Mine is a Hayden 2710. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-2710 I assume you installed the bushing for the WP snout? Mine looks really good with no noticeable wobble.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Mine is a Hayden 2710. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-2710 I assume you installed the bushing for the WP snout? Mine looks really good with no noticeable wobble.
That’s the same one I had. Yes, I installed the bushing, but it wasn’t a radial wobble....it was an axial ‘whip’ when looking at the fan from the side.

It would true up for a few seconds, then start to wobble, then true up again.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 PM

Phsst. Shrouds are over rated. 60’s GM 18” fan with a 75 Impala 350 thermostatic clutch. No problems cooling

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Phsst. Shrouds are over rated. 60’s GM 18” fan with a 75 Impala 350 thermostatic clutch. No problems cooling
I'm driving a Ford even with the hokey fan shroud and Damned proud of it-ish!
Huntingky likes this.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM

The repro shroud I got for my 66 was pretty rough out of the box. I spent some time smoothing edges with a flap disc and had to custom mount to the aluminum radiator but once it was mounted it actually feels pretty solid and looks to be quite effective. I have not driven the car so have no idea yet.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
The repro shroud I got for my 66 was pretty rough out of the box. I spent some time smoothing edges with a flap disc and had to custom mount to the aluminum radiator but once it was mounted it actually feels pretty solid and looks to be quite effective. I have not driven the car so have no idea yet.
Definitely some sharp edges involved with the shroud but it was fine other than a few scratches here and there. I see a lot of gaps where air can escape. It's like the engineers were trying to turn an econobox into a sports car on the fly?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I took it for a drive today after work with the shroud installed and drove it very hard with no overdrive 3200 rpm for almost a half hour. The outside temp was 89º and the temp gauge was reading 188º. Got home and idled it the driveway for 20 minutes and the temp was steady at 197º. Turned the car off for twenty minutes the restarted and let it idle for another twenty minutes and the temp settled in at 195º. Went for a drive and after 20 minutes the temp was down to 188º again. I used the FiTech handheld for my temperature measurements.

I'm going to call it successful but will bring the old fan and spacer with me this weekend just in case.

The shroud and mounting system is still hokey though!
I cleaned, primed and painted the shroud brackets before putting them on the car. If you don't paint them they will rust and get ugly looking.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thats encouraging! I have an autocross school I'm attending this weekend and will be running the car very hard with temps near 90º and want some confidence this setup will work. Otherwise I'll just throw the the 4 blade propeller back in at least for the weekend.

Put in some Water Wetter and you'll be fine. Heck, you'd be fine w/o the WW. It's not like you're idling non-stop for an hour...autox is only a few minutes long at most, and staging shouldn't take more than 10-15 min. If you overheat in those conditions, you have bigger problems that an air-leaking fan shroud.
Nailbender likes this.

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 PM

I had no problems with the shroud itself, but found the thin gauge sheet metal mounting brackets totally useless. After duplicating the factory style brackets in a heavier gauge metal, the shroud is solid as a rock.
Nailbender likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page