So...cowl repair. Need advice - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so I have the cowl out(upper and lower) Just wondering how people usually reinstall it? With the lower and upper as one piece, or lower first, then upper? I am concerned about getting the lip for the lower cowl and the lip for the windshield channel to line up correctly with the upper cowl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Mine was a two piece unit. I installed the lower first then the upper. You'll need LOTS of clamps and machine screws to hold the lower in place when welding and the same when putting the upper on.

If you take your time and clamp it properly along the windshield lip and firewall lip you'll be perfectly fine. Any extra material can be trimmed away and hammered into shape. Long repair but the most rewarding repair you'll do. Check my pics, I took many when I replaced mine.

Watch the progress on my 66 coupe here,
http://photobucket.com/projecttetanus
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:03 PM

I would definitely take the time to epoxy prime everything as you are going. From the firewall, under the cowl and the inside (top and bottom) since you are in there. I actually put a single stage urethane on the inside of my '70's cowl over the epoxy when I replaced it. There are several alignment holes in the cowl to assist you in getting it lined back up. I strongly suggest using an export brace to check the firewall positioning before welding the lower in place. Fit everything before committing to welding. If something needs to be adjusted, do it during the fit-up process. I remove the paint from each rosette weld hole with a small wire bush once everything is primed and sheet metal screwed in place. I've installed a couple of these, it really isn't that bad. Pay attention to the details and it will come out nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowl 1.jpg (389.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl 2.jpg (406.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl 3.jpg (410.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl 4.jpg (476.7 KB, 6 views)
vegasloki likes this.

I have never "made" anything, I just modify the things around me into useful items with abilities that were GIVEN to me.

Mike

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latoracing View Post
I would definitely take the time to epoxy prime everything as you are going. From the firewall, under the cowl and the inside (top and bottom) since you are in there. I actually put a single stage urethane on the inside of my '70's cowl over the epoxy when I replaced it. There are several alignment holes in the cowl to assist you in getting it lined back up. I strongly suggest using an export brace to check the firewall positioning before welding the lower in place. Fit everything before committing to welding. If something needs to be adjusted, do it during the fit-up process. I remove the paint from each rosette weld hole with a small wire bush once everything is primed and sheet metal screwed in place. I've installed a couple of these, it really isn't that bad. Pay attention to the details and it will come out nice.
So...just for general amusement...the firewall flange where the alignment holes were was rotted away:

So I had to cut and patch it. I am pretty sure I got the new alignment holes positioned correctly(at least within 1/32nd of an inch) and drilled to the correct size(although in this picture I ran out of welding wire before I finished the weld). I agree though that this isnt that bad of a job...the floorpans were far worse as far as work involved(maybe because I installed torque boxes at the same time)
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Lower prepped and ready to go back in. Any last minute checklist I need to do before starting to weld(tomorrow). I dont have an export brace for alignment...just the factory shock tower braces.
Rowdy likes this.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Looks great!
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Do you have any holes punched to weld at the lower windshield lip?
Turnall likes this.

Watch the progress on my 66 coupe here,
http://photobucket.com/projecttetanus
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelr8 View Post
Do you have any holes punched to weld at the lower windshield lip?

I didnt have any pre-drilled in the lower cowl at the lip area...but it only sits on about 2 inches of lip on either side for the lower cowl(I do need a drill a couple on each side to secure it there)...the vast majority of that lip wont get any holes in the lower cowl...all the holes will be in the upper cowl where it welds to the lower cowl lip

lower cowl installed aside from those couple holes on the top lip in the corners

Last edited by wicked93gs; 07-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page