Back in the fold....with my old Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Back in the fold....with my old Mustang

Three years ago, I sold my Ď65 Fastback for reasons that made sense at the time. A couple of years later, I was looking around for a new Mustang, but wasnít finding what I wanted.

I contacted the buyer of my old car, and asked if he would sell the car. Heís a collector with over 250 cars, and he had literally NEVER driven my car. He sold me back the car, and Iíve picked up right where I left off with it....the mileage was exactly the same as when it left.

So, Iíll be back in the VMF, asking questions...almost like I never left!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA965F64-D483-439D-90FE-7B5B9F3EA85F.jpg (553.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 68F9DFBF-708A-4F00-A33B-745F3863C742.jpg (594.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg 13BD7D7F-B0E5-420A-990A-802D2CA6AA73.jpeg (152.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg 14395EB4-03B4-4D41-9A6A-54D724EC8485.jpeg (153.6 KB, 9 views)
fordguy, Brent, Huntingky and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Supporting Member

Benny, that is a beautiful car
Benny likes this.

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Dimples

Garage
Wow, nice looking car. Congrats on getting it back.

The anvil of reality.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM

What an awesome car to have back!

How could you NEVER at least take it around the block after you brought it?

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
I'm sure you paid a bit more than what you sold it for, just consider it payment for storage! Lol!

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 31 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarson View Post
I'm sure you paid a bit more than what you sold it for, just consider it payment for storage! Lol!
I actually paid exactly what I sold it for, and since the previous owner is best buds with the owner of Reliable Carriers, he also got me a smoking deal on the return shipping.

So, the way I look at it, I basically got my car stored in a climate controlled ďmuseumĒ for 3 years (almost) for free.
Brent and Huntingky like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
How could you NEVER at least take it around the block after you brought it?
After chatting with the guy, Iíve realized these big money collectors actually have a lot of hoarder tendencies.

He told me that heís getting older, and really needs to start ďthinning the collectionĒ. Heís promised himself he wonít buy any more cars, but in the last few months heís brought home 6 more cars from big-name auctions.

I keep promising myself I wonít buy anymore candy bars, but I keep ending up with them in my pocket.
65 Pony and 1ofAMillion+ like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM

Nice. Good thing he wasn't one of those whorders.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
After chatting with the guy, I’ve realized these big money collectors actually have a lot of hoarder tendencies.

He told me that he’s getting older, and really needs to start “thinning the collection”. He’s promised himself he won’t buy any more cars, but in the last few months he’s brought home 6 more cars from big-name auctions.

I keep promising myself I won’t buy anymore candy bars, but I keep ending up with them in my pocket.

With the difference being that candy bar doesn't stay in your pocket

If I had the kind of money I assume he has, I'd have a few that I love (and maybe even build/tinker with) and then a non stop rotating stock of a few cars. Summer coming up? Buy a 69 Camaro drop top for 6 months to a year. Kick it down the road and move on to a 68 Charger. Rip on the charger for a while, then maybe a 64 Galaxie 500. I think he's doing it wrong
Benny likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400

Last edited by 65 Pony; 06-26-2019 at 01:59 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:01 PM
Dimples

Garage
It's an interesting dichotomy. Is it more rewarding to have a huge stable of cars that don't get much individual attention, or one that you pour your heart and soul into?

I know where I fall personally, but it's dictated heavily by budget. I'm going to guess that there is no wrong answer. Just depends on the kind of car lover you are and how much expendable cash you have for the hobby.

I do find it interesting though, that I probably spend more time planning for a car I don't have yet than thinking about the one I do. That's got to mean something, lol.
Benny likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
With the difference being that candy bar doesn't stay in your pocket
That's an important distinction to make. The candy bars get enjoyed, and the cars sit around looking pretty.

That said, beautiful car! Not sure what else you might need to do for it The engine bay looks great, the interior clean and complete, and the exterior gorgeous. Congrats on buying back your car!
Grabber70Mach likes this.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Benny, this is seriously one of the greatest stories I've read on VMF! You regularly read about people selling their cars and regretting it later, but usually they can't find their original car later in life or it's out of their price range but you overcame both obstacles!

Additionally, this is a truly gorgeous '65 GT350 tribute! Love that you went with KH steelies! How long had you owned this '65 before you sold it?

BTW - I'll be moving to SD (Poway) area in the next month so I'd love to see your car sometime!

Cheers,
Brent

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Benny, this is seriously one of the greatest stories I've read on VMF! You regularly read about people selling their cars and regretting it later, but usually they can't find their original car later in life or it's out of their price range but you overcame both obstacles!

Additionally, this is a truly gorgeous '65 GT350 tribute! Love that you went with KH steelies! How long had you owned this '65 before you sold it?

BTW - I'll be moving to SD (Poway) area in the next month so I'd love to see your car sometime!
Iíve regretted selling my fair share of cars, and while Iíve continued to keep tabs on a few of them, this is the only one Iíve actually managed to get back.

I actually only owned the car for a couple of years the first time around. Things started looking a little sketchy at work for a while, and with two young kids, I decided I didnít need an expensive ďtoyĒ sitting around. In hindsight, I probably over-reacted, but it was the right move at the time.

I have a couple of good friends (coworkers) in Poway and Scripps Ranch. We sometimes meet near Ramona, and blast up Palomar Mountain together. Itís a fantastic road, and youíre home by 11. It would be great to have you along. Drop me a line when youíre all settled in.

P.S. I think we follow each other on Instagram.
Brent likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Iíve regretted selling my fair share of cars, and while Iíve continued to keep tabs on a few of them, this is the only one Iíve actually managed to get back.

I actually only owned the car for a couple of years the first time around. Things started looking a little sketchy at work for a while, and with two young kids, I decided I didnít need an expensive ďtoyĒ sitting around. In hindsight, I probably over-reacted, but it was the right move at the time.

I have a couple of good friends (coworkers) in Poway and Scripps Ranch. We sometimes meet near Ramona, and blast up Palomar Mountain together. Itís a fantastic road, and youíre home by 11. It would be great to have you along. Drop me a line when youíre all settled in.

P.S. I think we follow each other on Instagram.
Well, great that you were able to get this one back! Good to know about the cruise; when I get settled, I'll reach out.

I'm no longer on IG but I do try to keep up with this forum.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM

man, I love your car. silver painted steelies just look so right on a 65-66 Shelby (or tribute )

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page