Car Overheating, time to upgrade? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Car Overheating, time to upgrade?

My 66 coupe keeps having issues with overheating. I am looking at upgrading the cooling system and wanted to get some opinions on these items.

1) ACP aluminum 3 row radiator
2) Flex a lite 3000 CFM electrican fan
3) edelbrock High flow water pump

What are some other items I should look at to upgrade while im at it?

I already recently replaced all old hoses and thermostat.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:28 PM

No. If you go aluminum get a 2-row with 1" or larger tubes. It will cool better.

If you go with an electric fan, which I recommend due to the 20-30 horsepower increase, I recommend three types of fan. Spal, the biggest you can fit- if using a stock size radiator. Lincoln Mark VII fan on a 20" radiator. Contour fans on a 24" radiator. Search the web, you'll find info on all of them.

I don't believe the CFM rating on any aftermarket fans other than Spal, maybe Derale.

No. Not needed. When it comes to water pumps there are two types in my opinion. Generic and fancy electric. Anything else is a waste. I can attest to this as I bought a Milodon water pump that ended up leaking out the weep hole immediately on first fill. Bought a generic one that was half the price to replace it and it was the same ****ing water pump. Luckily the second one was fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-16230
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332227911024

Those are identical. Not that I think Edelbrock is rebranding generic pumps, I just don't think it's necessary and depending on who you talk to, maybe detrimental.

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 06-26-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Garage
Under normal circumstances, the stock system is (close) enough. Have you modified the engine? Added A/C? Live in someplace super hot like Texas or Arizona? An electric water pump and 3000 (!) cfm fan is overkill under most situations. Find out why it's running hot first. Maybe the stock radiator is clogged? Engine timing too far advanced? Carburetor is too lean? Original water pump shot? Radiator cap doesn't hold proper pressure?

If everything else checks out good, any decent two-row aluminum radiator should solve it, unless there is a larger, underlying problem.
zray and vegasloki like this.

1969 Mach-1 Mustang
460 / C6 / 9"
Back in Dixie DSO 22 (Charlotte)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:39 PM

While aluminum radiators can work, I would avoid the three-core version. The added thickness can cause clearance issues , but just as importantly, aluminum tubes are much wider than the brass ones. Air often has a hard time getting through all the extra fins and tubes when your car is sitting still. Additionally, by the time air has gone over the first two tubes, the air is already very hot and unable to cool the third one, when air flow is slow.

Your best bet is a good 3 core brass, or 2 core aluminum radiator.

High flow waterpumps can be all right, but if you rev to high RPMs, some of them have problems with cavitation, leading to impeller and housing failure. Stock ones work pretty well.

Electric fans are fantastic for cooling your car at a stop, and they steal less horsepower than belt-driven fans too. However, to run one, you may have to upgrade your alternator, and install proper relays.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 PM

Upgrade the water 1st with Thermocure.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:47 PM

Garage
First question is: Have you replaced the head gaskets recently? If so, are they mounted backwards? (This leads to overheating)

Aluminum vs copper/brass is one of those strongly held opinions. Arguments on both sides and I am not going there I prefer the copper brass and ACP 3 row is reportedly of good quality. If made in USA is important, it is my understanding the only USA radiator currently available is made by U.S. Radiator. Here is a link to one I recently bought for a '66 with a "C" code 289. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-259-3?rrec=true

Unless your engine is highly tweaked, a factory clutch fan with shroud would be more than adequate and IMHO preferable to an electric fan set up.

On the water pump, I had an Edelbrock on my 390 and it worked very well for more than 16 years when I sold the car.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM

If I was going to just replace a stock size radiator, I'd go with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-1...Y/351117924017

1965 Mustang
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrodd88 View Post
My 66 coupe keeps having issues with overheating. I am looking at upgrading the cooling system and wanted to get some opinions on these items.

What are some other items I should look at to upgrade while im at it?

I already recently replaced all old hoses and thermostat.

Thanks!

Have you had the car long? Has it overheated previously? Have you made any recent changes that could be contributing to this condition? Does it overheat while moving or at an idle? Does it have a fan shroud?

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM

Garage
Don't forget that coolant ages , loses its effectiveness and you also need the proper concentration of at least 50/50, 60 coolant/40 water is probably even better. You can check the concentration with one of the 99 cent squeeze bulb and floating ball type antifreeze and coolant system tests available at Walmart and your friendly neighborhood auto parts store. I have a very good performing modified 289, and now that I have the proper timing, carburetion, the '66 C6OE-G 7-blade clutch and fan with shroud, a clean engine (with a 20 year old remanufactured stock C6 cast iron water pump) and a new stock-looking 3-row brass/copper radiator that doesn't leak the 60/40 Peak Global Final Charge nitrite and silicate free red coolant and distilled water.... I have made 6 two-hour trips at interstate speeds on 90-plus degree days lately and the needle stays between the T and the E on "TEMP" on the stock gauge. You can do the white vinegar flush and it is cheap and AMAZING. Get everything nice and clean with that, drain it all then remove and clean or replace the thermostat, and put in a new radiator with the 60/40 coolant and distilled water. These cars perform pretty well around 210 maybe 220 degrees.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Garage
Simple question, how do you know it overheats? The old stock gauges are not very accurate. I replaced the thermostat housing with one with an additional port. The dash gauge is attached to this port and I installed a new T sensors connected to an Autometer gauge under the dash. Or use an IR gun to check the temperature.

About the coolant concentration, water is better than coolant. In the summer you can run more water than coolant (e.g. 60 water 40 coolant). Some products like Waterwetter claim to decrease the temperature. I haven't tried it, maybe somebody can comment.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM

Garage
an upper hose filter an a relay for the electric fan

Brad
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone responses. I hope i answer any questions that were asked in this reply. I recently just got the car and drove for 2 hours straight no issues then heard a hiss noise while on the highway. Hose had broken. I replaced all the hoses and flushed the system multiple times (rust color still visible). Car drove for about 10 minutes then once again heard a hiss noise but this time its leaking from water pump and continues to happen. I live in north carolina so it gets hot but nothing like arizona area. I plan on adding AC soon and upgrading the engine for more power down the road.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:59 PM
Supporting Member

You have a lot of good suggestions here. I agree with as stated above. You have to find out the source of the overheating. You have to know the underlying problem. If your radiator is old I would start by having a respected radiator shop look it over and clean it or if you want a new one I would check out ACP and griffin radiators. As far as fans I’d stay mechanical but you could consider one with more blades and check your shroud. I’d also check the water pump and if you need a new one I would stay mechanical there too. When it comes to antifreeze it is added to prevent freezing and I believe it has some other beneficial properties but I don’t think it cools better than water. If it did people would run 100% antifreeze and no water.

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Supporting Member

While you are doing all this work i would add a gano filter. I don’t remember the brand but I remember reading about one made in Australia that is the cats meow

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrodd88 View Post
I appreciate everyone responses. I hope i answer any questions that were asked in this reply. I recently just got the car and drove for 2 hours straight no issues then heard a hiss noise while on the highway. Hose had broken. I replaced all the hoses and flushed the system multiple times (rust color still visible). Car drove for about 10 minutes then once again heard a hiss noise but this time its leaking from water pump and continues to happen. I live in north carolina so it gets hot but nothing like arizona area. I plan on adding AC soon and upgrading the engine for more power down the road.
Drain the system. Flush with white vinegar, and keep on flushing until it's clean. Replace the water pump, it's shot. Run a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Make sure you turn the heater on full blast to get the heater core full of coolant, otherwise you're going to have problems. NC temperatures should be no challenge for that car with its stock cooling system, if it's all working.

And BTW, guys... for testing antifreeze, I recently got one of these (anti-freeze refractometer). Cheap, works like a charm, and doesn't retain any coolant. Also works for battery acid and windshield washer fluid.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page