Change Early 67 sheering shaft - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By CHOCK
  • 1 Post By 22GT
  • 1 Post By Huskinhano

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Change Early 67 sheering shaft

Wondering if there is a product on the market that allows us early 67 sheering sector shaft owners to switch over to a collapsible set up with out replacing the box and all?? I did some searching but couldn't find anything.

Mustang Owned:
1995 Mustang GT (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
2015 Mustang GT
1967 Mustang V8 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Garage
I don't think there is. I had to ship my '65 steering box out and I looked into this getting the modular unit for convenience-- no luck. You would have to use a new steering box entirely.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:50 PM

Very simple.
Change all to 68-

Then why do you want to do this?? I'll bet it the scare tactic of the Spear O-Matic paranoia syndrome??
Huskinhano likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 PM

Chock nailed it, perhaps not on the paranoia bit though ;-)

I replaced my early '67 (I think all '67s had the solids, just a mid year change to linkage) with a '68 two-part shaft with bellows on the outer tube long ago. It was a pretty easy swap for me since I was already replacing the wiring. The factory '67 wiring will not immediately adapt a '68 part. That said, while it is a collapsing column in every sense...I was surprised how much force it would take to collapse...presumably before it penetrated a sternum but...DAYUUUM. Then again, if the Spear-O-Matic is a concern, remember, there's no airbag in front of you when in that no-crumple-zone car, but shoulder restraints would be a better concern than a collapsible column.

If budget allows and you're not particularly into the vintage look, companies like Flaming River (I'm sure there are others) offer all sorts of modern convenience and safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
You would have to use a new steering box entirely.
Good point, when I did my swap it was not only part of a re-wire but also a swap to a TCP R&P.

Edbert
1967 Convertible (GTA/GT350 mashup owned since 1988)
http://sylvia1967blog.wordpress.com
2018 Raptor SCAB 802a

Last edited by Edbert; 06-26-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:05 PM

In 67 the 390 cars did have the 2 piece or short shafts. Only ones from the factory at that time.
My 67 390 GT car has short shaft. SMB-E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang steering box .jpg (518.0 KB, 3 views)

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 PM

I had this conversation when I first bought my 66. After looking at all the options, I decided that 3-point seat belts were the best remedy. However, I would still like to do something about the shaft at some point. I have plans on doing EPAS upgrade down the line, and that should help a lot.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 PM

Has anybody ever done any research to find out how many people were killed in Mustang crashes where their death was attributed to the non-collapsible column? I bet the number is amazingly low. Probably about the same number of people who were killed by a ruptured, flaming Mustang gas tank in a rear end collision.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Has anybody ever done any research to find out how many people were killed in Mustang crashes where their death was attributed to the non-collapsible column? I bet the number is amazingly low. Probably about the same number of people who were killed by a ruptured, flaming Mustang gas tank in a rear end collision.
Good point. If the numbers were available it would probably be about the same as dead by a Meteor--or something as that.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:36 AM

It's the SPEARED thing that gets me.
Collapsible, non collapsible , padded, not padded deaths are probably near in numbers.
SPEARED , we go back to Meteors, crashes with UFO, elephants, etc. numbers comparisons.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for the input gents! Obviously new to the classic car scene and everything i watched and read would talk about being impaled by the shaft in a front end collision. Wasn't a pretty thought, so wondered if there was anything out there to remedy it, however it sounds like its more of an old wifes tale than a common occurrence.

Mustang Owned:
1995 Mustang GT (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
2015 Mustang GT
1967 Mustang V8 Coupe
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:59 PM

Or as dangerous as drivers texting while driving!

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Supporting Member

About 30 years ago my Dad got hit head on by a bulk cement tanker while driving his 66 ranchero. The semi pushed his car several hundred feet in the opposite direction. He was not wearing a seat belt (doubt the car had them) his torso hit the steering wheel so hard that the small chrome steering wheel appeared to be on backwards. It did not spear him.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:21 PM

A 3-point seat belt pretty much eliminates the need for the collapsible column, except in cases where the left-front is crushed rearward so badly the column moves into the passenger compartment, pinning the driver to the roof. I once parted out a 65 K code where this actually happened. He survived, by the way.

As for the flaming gas tank, I once tabulated stats showing more Americans have been killed by shark bite than Mustang gas tanks.
Huskinhano likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Here's the thing. GM used a "front steer" suspension which means all the junk is up front. The steering box with it's solid shaft was just behind the front bumper. In a accident it would get shoved into you. Ford used a "rear steer" system. Everything is BEHIND the suspension. The steering box is just behind the fire wall. By the time that shaft gets stuffed into you, that's the least of your problems! I have no issues with my Spear-O-Matic.
sixtysevenGTconv likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page