Suggestions for headlights? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Benny
  • 1 Post By RestoMike66

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions for headlights?

My car is currently fitted with Hella H4 headlights, and while theyíre nice and bright, their flat lenses donít look so period-correct for these cars.

I saw the Scott Drake, halogen ĎFoMoCoí sealed beams on CJís website, and thought they looked worth a try. I tried to order them, but they were backordered (surprise, surprise), and then I found some terrible reviews in their quality, so I cancelled the order.

So, now Iím back to square-one. Iíd like to find some headlights that look more appropriate for a Mustang (convex), and give some decent output.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
https://www.amazon.com/Hella-Halogen.../dp/B000FKIURK

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 PM

I'm running a pair of GE H6024 halogen lights on my 65 and see with them pretty well. I did upgrade the headlight wiring with relays and thicker wires.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
I'm running a pair of GE H6024 halogen lights on my 65 and see with them pretty well. I did upgrade the headlight wiring with relays and thicker wires.

Do you advise just running all new wiring from the relay with new connectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhunts View Post
Do you advise just running all new wiring from the relay with new connectors?
I had a replacement wiring harness already installed that was just a few years old. I just added some relays right above the wiper reservoir and then new wiring and spade terminals to the headlights. I removed the older wiring from the headlight connectors and reused the connectors after inserting the thicker new wires and spade terminals. The relays are hidden under the wiper reservoir bag.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
My car is currently fitted with Hella H4 headlights, and while theyíre nice and bright, their flat lenses donít look so period-correct for these cars.

I saw the Scott Drake, halogen ĎFoMoCoí sealed beams on CJís website, and thought they looked worth a try. I tried to order them, but they were backordered (surprise, surprise), and then I found some terrible reviews in their quality, so I cancelled the order.

So, now Iím back to square-one. Iíd like to find some headlights that look more appropriate for a Mustang (convex), and give some decent output.

Suggestions?
Funny, I was going to mention the H4 Hella's when I clicked on the link - until I read your post!

I am very happy with all four of them in my '69 as well as in another car that has 7" headlights. And while I like the look of the smaller ones on the Mustang, the 7" do look, um, different with the flat face. They work so well, I don't mind.

As mentioned, the relays really do make a big difference - have you tried them with regular sealed beam halogens?

1969 Mach-1 Mustang
460 / C6 / 9"
Back in Dixie DSO 22 (Charlotte)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmach View Post
And while I like the look of the smaller ones on the Mustang, the 7" do look, um, different with the flat face. They work so well, I don't mind.
I donít hate the way flat-faced Hellas look...Iíve run them on 1960ís cars for years, and Iím not willing to give up much lighting power for something that looks better.

I have some friends who have a vintage headlight fetish, and they collect all these beautiful, NOS 60ís headlights that look like pieces of jewelry. I guess some of that had rubbed off on me, so I like the idea of getting something that looks more ďperiodĒ without spending a fortune on something vintage....and then having a rock go through it on the freeway.
bbmach likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
Wagner makes their BriteLites line with a sealed beam xenon bulb that looks pretty vintage. And they're only $20 a piece.
https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Lighti.../dp/B000C90MNE

Whatever bulbs you use putting in relays will make them brighter and let you get the most out of them.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:32 AM

Garage
Iím using Cibie H4 headlamps and love them. They look similar to the original but give great lighting.
Daniel Stearns website has some great information about lighting
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/.../products.html
Hemikiller likes this.

'66 Coupe: GT40 5.0: 670 Holley & Edelbrock RPM AirGap: JBA shorties: AOD w/TCI shiftkit: Granada Disks: R&P steering: 3.55 Currie
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoMike66 View Post
Iím using Cibie H4 headlamps and love them. They look similar to the original but give great lighting.
Daniel Stearns website has some great information about lighting
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/.../products.html
Same here, they look just like regular 'ol sealed beams. Beam spread is just glorious for night driving.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 PM

I bought a set of these Delta led conversion headlights. When I bought them it was $15 for the pair, I bought enough to convert all 3 of my old cars. Much brighter than sealed halogens, with better light pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-01-1179...gateway&sr=8-5
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Yes that flat look sucks.

Easy to fix and you will have a better and more usable H-4 pattern:

go on Daniel Sterns we site and order a pair of the Cibie H-4 lenses (great convex shape, looks right at home on an old Mustang). Done. Miles better than the Hella's.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Z

Last edited by zray; 06-27-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page