Dual exhaust recommendations for modded 306cid? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
Shinobi, you already have the headers ? get a 2 & 1/2 kit and run it all the way OVER the axle and out the back. Don't fall for the small exhaust myth. LSG
Lol never have. Ran straight pipes many times including my 850 rwhp TT C5 Z.

It's more about finding something that sounds good, doesn't restrict my engine upgrades, and fits good around the C4 tranny, over the axle, and between the tank and rear leaf shackle bolts. I used a 4.5 eye rear leaf spring so the car sits a little lower in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
With the 1-5/8" header it almost doesn't matter. I'd either get the system that is the right combo of price, fit and aesthetic for you OR just go 2.5" because it's common and there are many systems available in that size. I wouldn't put too much thought into the science here because we're splitting hairs on a 306 with that size header- nothing after the collector will make much difference one way or the other.
With a 1 5/8” header it almost doesn’t matter. What does that mean?

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi68 View Post
Lol never have. Ran straight pipes many times including my 850 rwhp TT C5 Z.

It's more about finding something that sounds good, doesn't restrict my engine upgrades, and fits good around the C4 tranny, over the axle, and between the tank and rear leaf shackle bolts. I used a 4.5 eye rear leaf spring so the car sits a little lower in the rear.
Buy some mandrel bent 2 1/2 tail pipes if your local shop does not do mandrel bends. Decide if you want an H-pipe or X-pipe and have your local exhaust shop fab it up. Muffler choice is very subjective but for me I like the H-pipe with a chambered muffler and the X-pipe with a straight thru Muffler.

Last edited by cmefly; 06-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
With a 1 5/8” header it almost doesn’t matter. What does that mean?
It means that everything is determined before the collector. Driving yourself crazy trying to get 3-5 horsepower out of the rest of the exhaust is not worth the time and effort.
bbmach likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:49 PM

The magnaflow setup in SS was a great pricepoint but they didn't sell it in 2.25, so 2 1/2 I went
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
Buy some mandrel bent 2 1/2 tail pipes if your local shop does not do mandrel bends. Decide if you want an H-pipe or X-pipe and have your local exhaust shop fab it up. Muffler choice is very subjective but for me I like the H-pipe with a chambered muffler and the X-pipe with a straight thru Muffler.
Just curious, why the H-pipe/chambered, x-pipe/straight-thru preference? Did you notice any difference with popping on decel or was it simply tone?

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Just curious, why the H-pipe/chambered, x-pipe/straight-thru preference? Did you notice any difference with popping on decel or was it simply tone?
Simply tone.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:23 PM

With unequal length manifolds or shorties, it's not like it matters whether he's running 2 1/4" or 5". There's not going to be any scavenging to speak of, and he won't be restricted by the exhaust pipe or mufflers.

However, with a good set of Tri-Y or full length headers, 2 1/4" would make a difference. So would 2", but they'd hurt the top end unless it's basically stock. Tuned exhaust IS a thing. =)

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Ended up going with the JBA 40 2650 full length 2.5" exhaust system.
Thanks.

Last edited by Shinobi68; 06-30-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page