1966 Factory GT fastback on ebay?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NEFaurora

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
DMO

1966 Factory GT fastback on ebay??

I was browsing ebay today and happened upon this ad...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192962482155?ul_noapp=true

I Noticed that the master cylinder didn't seem right and the fog lamp switch looked a bit off so just for curiosity sake I asked for pics of the dual exhaust reinforcement plates underneath the rear seat. Seller did send pics with response:
"Please keep in mind that the floors have not been detailed in many years. There is some old carpet there now, I pulled it up to show the plates. As you can see the plates are correct and original to the car as it is a Factory GT 65. You can also see the original Ford red oxide on the original floors. "

I have attached the pics. So, is this a factory GT? Wouldn't want anyone to be misled...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (74.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16002.jpg (180.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16003.jpg (432.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16004.jpg (341.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16005.jpg (425.9 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
DMO

Correction: 1965 Fastback GT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
The Reinforcement Plates look correct, But the Dual Exhaust Brackets are not correct... What is the original color of the car..??!??

Looks like the inside Floors of the car are painted Red Oxide..which is not correct for inside the car....only underneath.. The inside floors would have been painted the Original Body color of the car. It looks like your floors weer repainted Red Oxide at some point.

Here is how it "should" look... Note the correct Dual Exhaust Bolt brackets... Sorry, but All I have is a '65 Convertible example...but Fastback and Coupe would have been same..when talking about the Lower Rear seat area (GT Exhaust setup).. You can even stick a flashlight and see inside the factory assemblyline hole to see if the tubes are there....You'll have to get under the car. No Crush tubes present...No GT..... It's that simple.

The GT Reinforcement plates have been available for quite sometime...so you can "Fake" a GT in this area... One are which is very hard to "Fake" a GT is the Rear Frame Rails... '65-'66 GT's had "Crush Tube" Reinforcements inside the rear frame rails that Non-GT cars did not have. Check the inside of your Rear Frame rails and You'll have your answer whether your car is a REAL GT or not. See 2nd Photo of cut framerails from a REAL '65-'66 GT car.. I you find the Crush tubes inside the framerails...Then you have a REAL GT.

)

Tony K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65KcodeConvertibleCTurner26.jpg (104.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DualExhSpacer01.jpg (18.2 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg CRUSHTUBES02.jpg (51.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ExhaustMounts04GT.jpg (71.4 KB, 17 views)
4ocious likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-27-2019 at 02:33 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Couple of points. Agree with everything Tony has commented on.
I see no spot welds where the reinforcement plates would have been welded in by the factory.
There is no seam sealer at the bottom edges of the reinforcement plates as the factory would have applied.
If it's a 1966, and seat belts were standard, I do not see the seat belt mounting bracket through the hole in the reinforcement plates,

Just a few observations.

John
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Another sure way to tell a 65GT is the cutout in the dash under the instrument bezel for the speedometer

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:13 PM

I zoomed pretty well and think I can make out a spot weld maybe 2.
Not to dispute the other points but the seller(consignor/dealer I feel) could just be mistaken calling the paint red oxide primer, it could very well be the original red paint that always seems very dull under the carpet. I does look like those pans have been sprayed over though, 1 see 3 shades of red color and don't know what to think about the white atop the tunnel. If enough stuff spilled back there or whatever ruined the sound deadening may have made surface rust so they cleaned it and shot some primer over the cleaned metal.
No sound deadening is iffy but if they took the time to fake the reinforcements why use a piece of shag there.
I wouldn't discount it on that alone, it looks to have an aged patina back to when people didnt got to ALL the effort to fake a GT and i don't think those panels were even available 20 years ago.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
DMO

All good observations. I simply found the lack of dual exhaust hanger brackets quite concerning. The bolts look incorrect and too new. Also, the ad seems to really be pushing the "Factory GT" aspect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exaust hanger bracket 1966 Mustang GT.jpg (60.1 KB, 13 views)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:29 PM

What about the bracket for the brake line; does it look like a factory spot weld? And
the pinion snubber should have a different shape than non GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-11-07-6.jpg (416.4 KB, 12 views)

Greg Z.
'66 GT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"Another sure way to tell a 65GT is the cutout in the dash under the instrument bezel for the speedometer "

No, That's NOT True.

Any cars with "Pony Interiors" got the "5 Dial Cluster"....and they DID NOT HAVE TO BE GT cars.

There were Plenty of '65 cars with Deluxe Pony Interiors that WERE NOT GT cars from the Factory.

Basically, In regular '65 Production cars, If you ordered a Deluxe Pony Interior, You got the upgraded 5-Dial Cluster. The car was not necessarily a GT car, but could have been.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-27-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
What's the build date?

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
"Another sure way to tell a 65GT is the cutout in the dash under the instrument bezel for the speedometer "

No, That's NOT True.

Any cars with "Pony Interiors" got the "5 Dial Cluster"....and they DID NOT HAVE TO BE GT cars.

There were Plenty of '65 cars with Deluxe Pony Interiors that WERE NOT GT cars from the Factory.

Basically, In regular '65 Production cars, If you ordered a Deluxe Pony Interior, You got the upgraded 5-Dial Cluster. The car was not necessarily a GT car, but could have been.

)

Tony K.
I knew that... had a brain fart. Thanks for clearing it up.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMO View Post
All good observations. I simply found the lack of dual exhaust hanger brackets quite concerning. The bolts look incorrect and too new. Also, the ad seems to really be pushing the "Factory GT" aspect...
It would be terrible if someone wanted a GT and dismissed one for that. Or even the lack of seam sealer as mentioned above. This one isn't correct or far from perfect but appears honest. The seller not as honest though, another fresh paint and valve covers=restoration.

Sometime during exhaust work the OE type hanger was stripped or the stud broke and rather than waiting a week for the part(if it was even available then) they made due with a couple of bolts, the owner might not have even been told about it. Since the sound deadening material is gone it was obviously cleaned up back there, including the sealers that likely came off in chunks so they gave it s respray to hinder more rust. You can see the sealer shadow line across the base of the plate and continue up and over the trans hump.

I see them as nothing more than good reasons to knock the price down or how you can pay too much for one at an auction
With the flaws and Auto I say it might be 10K too much, but is a red FB so someone is figuring how to cash their 401K....

Verbose Vocabularian
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
DMO

Pics of the snubber plate appear to be correct for a factory GT. Looks like aftermarket exhaust hanger brackets. Moved over brake line placement also looks correct...
I'm leaning towards legit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (97.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1601.jpg (307.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1602.jpg (265.4 KB, 8 views)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:54 PM

That is definitely a snubber plate for a dual exhaust car

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page