finally going from granada to factory 4 piston brakes - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By fordguy
  • 2 Post By wicked93gs
  • 1 Post By BlakeTX
  • 1 Post By fordguy
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: springhill florida
Posts: 1,633
finally going from granada to factory 4 piston brakes

so i'm cheap and try to save where I can, and don't mind waiting on deals. I pieced together a factory 4 piston kh brake kit with all new parts for about $365 ( I still had my factory spindles).
Rowdy likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

fordguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
wicked93gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 653
So this means you want to sell me the Granada parts on the cheap right?
fordguy and 2nd 66 like this.
wicked93gs is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:46 AM
Dimples
 
BlakeTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,286
Garage
Nice work saving some cash on that one. I wish I had a time machine to tell my 20 year old self to save those factory V8 spindles. When I eventually retire the Granadas, I'll have to re-source those.
Mike the old grump likes this.

The anvil of reality.
BlakeTX is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
wicked93gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 653
I do have to ask though...why not just retain the Granada spindles? According to this post they are the same as 70-73 mustang spindles:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Big-brake-kit

Which means kits like this "should" fit:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...RoCgxEQAvD_BwE

However, that would need to be confirmed. On the other hand, sourcing new v8 spindles for 65-66 is now easy with new spindles available from CPP for $300 if I remember correctly
wicked93gs is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: springhill florida
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
So this means you want to sell me the Granada parts on the cheap right?
sipping would be a killer on those

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
I do have to ask though...why not just retain the Granada spindles? According to this post they are the same as 70-73 mustang spindles:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Big-brake-kit

Which means kits like this "should" fit:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...RoCgxEQAvD_BwE

However, that would need to be confirmed. On the other hand, sourcing new v8 spindles for 65-66 is now easy with new spindles available from CPP for $300 if I remember correctly
I just wanted the factory style brakes on the car. I have no issues with the Granada stuff, they work fine, the kh stuff just looks better to me
patrickstapler likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

fordguy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Okc, Ok
Posts: 36
I would like to do the same. Can you give us a parts list with sources and prices?
ejceles is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
I do have to ask though...why not just retain the Granada spindles? According to this post they are the same as 70-73 mustang spindles:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Big-brake-kit

Which means kits like this "should" fit:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...RoCgxEQAvD_BwE

However, that would need to be confirmed. On the other hand, sourcing new v8 spindles for 65-66 is now easy with new spindles available from CPP for $300 if I remember correctly
Granada spindles are not exactly the same as 70+ Mustang spindles. The steering geometry and tie rod attachment are exactly the same. But all the brake parts are different. And the caliper bracket mounting points are likely different. I don't think you can swap any brake parts between these otherwise similar spindles. Many brake upgrades are based on the drum spindle with the four backing plate holes. Looks like the Wilwood kit does have a bracket for the three-hole Mustang spindle. CPP says the kit will fit "all" 70-73 Mustangs. So if that's true there must be something missing in the description. Seems questionable to me. Someone used to sell a kit to fit SN95 brakes to the Granada spindle but I think it's been discontinued. I've searched for Granada spindle upgrades and haven't found much. Stupid me thew away my 70 drum spindles.
cougar70 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
CHOCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
Granada spindles are not exactly the same as 70+ Mustang spindles. The steering geometry and tie rod attachment are exactly the same. But all the brake parts are different. And the caliper bracket mounting points are likely different. I don't think you can swap any brake parts between these otherwise similar spindles. Many brake upgrades are based on the drum spindle with the four backing plate holes. Looks like the Wilwood kit does have a bracket for the three-hole Mustang spindle. CPP says the kit will fit "all" 70-73 Mustangs. So if that's true there must be something missing in the description. Seems questionable to me. Someone used to sell a kit to fit SN95 brakes to the Granada spindle but I think it's been discontinued. I've searched for Granada spindle upgrades and haven't found much. Stupid me thew away my 70 drum spindles.
Hope all read this-
Been stating this for years. Granada spindles are NOt the same
CHOCK is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: springhill florida
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejceles View Post
I would like to do the same. Can you give us a parts list with sources and prices?
I had the spindles, all the other parts were bought off fb marketplace, cl, or rock auto. i'm not going to list the prices, as most of the parts I got were deals and not retail numbers, so it's kind of pointless. just keep your eyes out, people are always selling stuff.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

fordguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome