So close to finishing restoration and now this... - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
The mustang shop in california - high back 69-70 mustang seat frames new
https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/1512212/658361

be prepared for some sticker shock
Yes they are expensive, and from what Iíve read they are really for a 70 lock mechanism, so Iím not risking that much cash on them.

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM

Just fyi, I've never received any pictures.. @mexicruiser.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Just fyi, I've never received any pictures.. @mexicruiser.

Allen
Add seems to have been removed, will have to keep looking, I called the Colorado shop and they said they were not sure if they have the seat but if they did it would cost $500 each, yikes!

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Can you link the ad? If @mexicruiser can't use them, I can.

I'm in a worse boat than mexicruiser in that I need the bottom for the passenger's side and the full seat for the driver's side for a '69.

Obviously, first dibs to mexicruiser.

Allen
I just got a pair of front seats on ebay! The restoration will continue and hopefully be finished by the end of August.
Iím only going to use the driver side backrest so if you are interested in the passenger side and driver side bottom send me a pm, you would have to continue fishing for the driver backrest unless you want the rusty piece Iím replacing. No seat tracks though.

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM

FYI …

A '70 Seat back could have worked for a '69 provided the '69 latch hardware was all still useable. I swapped '69 seat back latch mechanisms into '70 Mach 1 Highbacks back in the 80's because I did not like the levers down low as it took two hands to operate (where you can unlatch & hinge forward a '69 with one hand). That and I wanted to keep my '69 to appear correct after the swap.

Just had to drill the 3 upper holes for the lever using the old low-back seat frames as guides and weld a nut down below for the lower latch bolt. Some extra washers were added to the lower latch bolt and it looks and works perfect.

'69 Seat Frames had some design flaws that caused them to crack or break at the hinge points (recall or TSB was issued, and I believe you can still get the repair kits from Ford) , so the '70 seat frames are a better starting point anyway.

Completely rebuilt these seats last summer and took some pics while they were apart.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69 SB Latch in 70 M1 Seat Frame 1.jpg (305.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 69 SB Latch in 70 M1 Seat Frame 2.jpg (588.6 KB, 0 views)

My Stangs:
1969 Calypso Coral 351W 4V 4-Spd Deluxe GT Hardtop (owned since '81)
2016 Guard 100A Ecoboost Fastback, 6-Spd MT, 641, 66W, 13D, 47AX O-T-T Stripes (ordered 2/11, dely 5/23, home 5/26/16)
past:
2011 Kona Blue 3.7L V6 6-Spd MT Prem Coupe, MCA pkg & HID's (0-129k mi)
2004 Comp Orange, 1998 Chrome Yellow & 1994 Bright Blue V6 5-Spd Coupes (0-126k, 0-131k & 0-89k mi)
1979 Fairmont Futura w/'85 HO 5.0L built AOD 8.8 3.27T-Lok Quad Shks LX Rims SVO Seats&Console

Last edited by stangs-R-me; 07-17-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicruiser View Post
I just got a pair of front seats on ebay! The restoration will continue and hopefully be finished by the end of August.
I’m only going to use the driver side backrest so if you are interested in the passenger side and driver side bottom send me a pm, you would have to continue fishing for the driver backrest unless you want the rusty piece I’m replacing. No seat tracks though.
I received my portion of the seats that I needed from @mexicruiser today. I appreciate the help/heads up/everything and this could not have worked out any better (for both of us)!!

It's going to give me something to do this weekend also.

Allen

p.s. I'm going to have a passenger seat back (high back) that I'm not going to need if someone is in need of one.
mexicruiser likes this.

Last edited by Turnall; 08-02-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs-R-me View Post
FYI Ö

A '70 Seat back could have worked for a '69 provided the '69 latch hardware was all still useable. I swapped '69 seat back latch mechanisms into '70 Mach 1 Highbacks back in the 80's because I did not like the levers down low as it took two hands to operate (where you can unlatch & hinge forward a '69 with one hand). That and I wanted to keep my '69 to appear correct after the swap.

Just had to drill the 3 upper holes for the lever using the old low-back seat frames as guides and weld a nut down below for the lower latch bolt. Some extra washers were added to the lower latch bolt and it looks and works perfect.

'69 Seat Frames had some design flaws that caused them to crack or break at the hinge points (recall or TSB was issued, and I believe you can still get the repair kits from Ford) , so the '70 seat frames are a better starting point anyway.

Completely rebuilt these seats last summer and took some pics while they were apart.

Doug
Thank you for the info Doug, I just figured if I was going to pay for the part I might as well buy the correct one, but this mod is definitely the best option if you already have 70 seats on a 69 car.

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well got the seats ready to install but I wanted to bolt the center console in first to avoid having the seats in the way. Well I wish the TMI dealer who sold me the Sport R covers would have informed me these interfere with the center console. What to do next? Just squeeze the thing in? Ditch the console? Cut the armest off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8409A99B-60EB-480C-84E4-DAC195E0ACA7.jpeg (133.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 0E2E032F-ED9E-4B34-8187-BCE46723A2EC.jpeg (123.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg C0914C12-24FE-4E4B-A7A6-DD0D5258D4B8.jpeg (150.2 KB, 3 views)

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Seats installed

I finished installing the 69 seats with the TMI foam and covers, they look really good but as others have stated there are issues with the concept, the foam is thicker and harder than the originals and this causes a couple of problems:
a) the seat back pushes you further forward, this causes the seat bottom to become very short, there is only space for your butt and most of your legs donít have support. It also requires you to move the seat further back, so tall drivers might run out of space.
b) the seat bottom pushes you further up, this reduces your headroom and brings your legs closer to the steering wheel.
c) the side bolsters are wider, and make contact with the center console (and the door panels in a lesser amount), you wonít be able to open the lid and I imagine some wear will happen to the seat covers in the long run.

At 5í9Ē I am not tall and because I am also very thin I find these issues to be tolerable, my head does not contact the headliner. My son is 6í (also very thin) and his head did touch the headliner, after cutting the plastic seat back stops to recline the seat back and moving the seat bottom all the way back on the tracks he fit ok.

For me the only issue is the seat bottoms are now short, this looks and feels funny in my opinion.
For anyone taller than 6í seat track extenders would be necessary and if you are also a bit heavy I honestly believe these seats would make you unconfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAFD308B-3A8C-45FB-8ABD-A1A65E253487.jpg (498.0 KB, 3 views)
Turnall likes this.

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicruiser View Post
I finished installing the 69 seats with the TMI foam and covers
Looks very well done!!

Allen
mexicruiser likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page