Ammeter Movement - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By awhtx
  • 1 Post By rhutt

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Ammeter Movement

How much should my Ammeter move if the charging system is operating normally on my 66 Mustang. Thank for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Considerably more than 90% of them move. Weak, corroded connections is the typical culprit.
RC92234 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Considerably more than 90% of them move. Weak, corroded connections is the typical culprit.
Thank You for the help!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
Typically they seem to move about ....| |.... that much. Just enough to say it's doing something.

In theory they could move a lot more, but in practice age and those weak corroded connections mean that they don't.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:39 AM

I have to look very hard and sometimes I thinks it is in my head, but it does move ever so slightly. I put a small volt meter by the battery under the hood. Gives me piece of mine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
From day one NEW, They barely move....and if they do..and it's working....It will only move 5-10% to Right side. The D - C letters stand for Discharge, and Charge. It's without a doubt, The MOST USELESS guage on the entire '65-'66 cluster. Today, We have modern alternatives...and are mixed... Some people just leave it...and forget that its even there...Some people put in more accurate Ammeter gauges, or some people remove the guage and install a VOLTS (Voltmeter guage) instead which is way more usable.. I vote for the last one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocketman M6566VO.jpg (42.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cluster2a.jpg (88.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cluster2b.jpg (75.1 KB, 3 views)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-30-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:07 PM

The majority show no movement. Some articles also mention that since the ammeter is always "live" they may even start a fire in the car.

So most people replace them with a voltmeter that shows if the battery is overcharging indicating the voltage regulator is bad.

I replaced the ammeter in my 71 with the one found in the link below and it works great! Original gauge is converted to a voltmeter.

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index...=menu-volt-all
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:53 PM

The last two pictures posted by Tony K. are my instrument cluster. I designed and built the prototype that you see in those images. After completing the first unit (shown in the photo) I had planned on producing a kit that anyone with basic shop skills could use to build one for their own car. The response to voltmeters from fellow VMFer's was lukewarm at best, so I shelved the project and put the money I would have spent printing and water-jet cutting the components into my '66.
You can see a video of my project at:
My son has a couple dozen gauge face appliques that he is selling with instructions and patterns for the mounting disks that we are not producing. His email address can be found at the very end of the YouTube video. He may revive the project with enough interest.
vegasloki likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page