Disc conversion advise - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Disc conversion advise

Hi Friends

Well I admit I did not look to hard to find the search function on our website, It must have been written many times before. But what would be your recommendation on making a drum to disc conversion.

Buy new or go junkyard ?

Is their a big price savings?

I am also wondering if a dual master cylinder requires a proportioning valve with a front only disc conversion?

what are your kit recommendation s when i want to keep my 14 inch wheels.

Much thanks!

(single bowl 4 drum currently,,,and front cylinders blown. ug ! )

66 Fastback

289 Auto C4 "C" code with added 4 bbl

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
There are not many options for 14 wheels, check with Chokostang.
Israel likes this.

69 Fastback 428 SCJ
69 Hardtop 429 Boss
67 Fastback 390 GTA
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
For a '66?

Raybestos MC36440 disc/drum master cylinder (dual bowl), using original pushrod.
Generic in-line 10# residual valve for rear circuit. Install at master cylinder port.
*Generic adjustable proportioning valve in rear circuit.
*Generic brass "tee" for front circuit.

* In lieu of these a GM-style combination valve with brake system warning lamp can be used.

OE-style Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston calipers, mounts and rotors.

My recommendation would also be Chockostang.
2nd 66 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:59 PM

Exactly as Woodchuck recommended and you can buy all the parts from NPD. Much cheaper and better than those so called brake kits.I don't even bother with the proportioning valve and never had a problem.I have done at least 6 and never had a problem.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby289s View Post
Exactly as Woodchuck recommended and you can buy all the parts from NPD. Much cheaper and better than those so called brake kits.I don't even bother with the proportioning valve and never had a problem.I have done at least 6 and never had a problem.
Thank you shelby

I will have to look at itemizing all parts as opposed to the bottom line on a kit as you mentioned.

66 Fastback

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:18 AM

Garage
I would recommend the kits from CSRP. Why? The kit contains everything you need and if you run into any kind of problem give Dennis a call and he will help you. Not sure if you will get the same type of help from NPD? Chockostang is also a great address to contact. The 4 piston kit from CSRP fits over stock 14 inch wheels, others might not fit (Granada).

I saw a guy locking up his rear brakes because he didn't had the proportioning valve and almost crashed into another car! I would highly recommend to install one, it might safe your butt under hard braking.

If you want you can swing by and test my setup since you are so close.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Chocko or CSRP as mentioned above. You can not go wrong with either.

I went with CSRP because I wanted the SN95 kit.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 PM

I went with CSRP Kelsey/Hayes four piston kit for my 1966 two years ago and about 3000 miles. No issues at all - car stops nice and straight. At the time I bought - I was most concerned about fitting the calipers under the original 14" wheels and Dennis at CSRP guaranteed they would fit. Not problem with fitment. I would have no issue purchasing from CSRP again or trying Chocko.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM

1st off make sure your wheels will accept disc brakes, I cant describe it but some steel wheels won't and you might accidentally have some of the older ones. One review for these say they fit his 14" wheels. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w.../model/mustang no dust shield though.
The '65/6 K/H would be the sure bet to fit and most correct as the factory did them=about mid to highish price range, the later single piston calipers will fit under 14" wheels and might save a couple hundred. Replacement calipers are about 1/4$ as much also. Similar to some of those GM "metric caliper" kits which are lower priced options.

I bet there's not a junk yard part left to be salvaged But you can get the mounting brackets and dust shields used, everything else you'll want new anyhow, although you can rebuild most old calipers if you come across some marked "K/H."

Kits are nice to get everything at once but you can save a few dollars by piecing it together yourself-layaway style. Buying the parts individually also lets you get s larger mans leg MC bore or upgrade pads, rotors or brake lines without buying the stuff twice.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM

I went with CSRP on my 65. So far I'm happy with the Granada setup.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM

Garage
On my 69 Coupe I am using the 68/69 Mustang SS wheels & I used a kit I purchased from Opentracker Racing IIRC was from CSRP. The wheels I am using came from a 68 GT with factory disc brakes & the brake calipers which are the K/H style clear the rims with no problem. Here is a link to the kit I used.
https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...967-1969-copy/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1152.jpg (541.5 KB, 11 views)

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
1st off make sure your wheels will accept disc brakes, I cant describe it but some steel wheels won't and you might accidentally have some of the older ones. One review for these say they fit his 14" wheels. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w.../model/mustang no dust shield though.
The '65/6 K/H would be the sure bet to fit and most correct as the factory did them=about mid to highish price range, the later single piston calipers will fit under 14" wheels and might save a couple hundred. Replacement calipers are about 1/4$ as much also. Similar to some of those GM "metric caliper" kits which are lower priced options.

If you have Mustang type steel wheels check the date code (three digits) between the lugs. The first number is the year (e.g. 7 for 1967) and the four piston kit from CSRP fits over 1965 to 1972 wheels.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
On my 69 Coupe I am using the 68/69 Mustang SS wheels & I used a kit I purchased from Opentracker Racing IIRC was from CSRP. The wheels I am using came from a 68 GT with factory disc brakes & the brake calipers which are the K/H style clear the rims with no problem. Here is a link to the kit I used.
https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...967-1969-copy/
Thank You Mike and everyone !

I did not know the CSRP was that well respected. I am thinking maybe I will bite in steps. Install a master booster with my drums and run for a while then make the upgrade.

The prices are high and I would just like to get back on the road. If I do a conversion I would probably do a Export Brace and 1 inch sway bar all at the same time. Or have some one do it.

Today I unsprung the drum pads and when the springs released , the also unbolted cylinder exploded its contents into the floor. Its only 20 miles of use and three years of storage. DOT 5 everywhere. Bosch part. Cant figure this ?

66 Fastback

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang4SF View Post
I would recommend the kits from CSRP. Why? The kit contains everything you need and if you run into any kind of problem give Dennis a call and he will help you. Not sure if you will get the same type of help from NPD? Chockostang is also a great address to contact. The 4 piston kit from CSRP fits over stock 14 inch wheels, others might not fit (Granada).

I saw a guy locking up his rear brakes because he didn't had the proportioning valve and almost crashed into another car! I would highly recommend to install one, it might safe your butt under hard braking.

If you want you can swing by and test my setup since you are so close.
Mustang 4

thanks that's very nice offer. Do you run 14 inch 1967 style steel wheels?

Lawrence

66 Fastback

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:57 PM

Other than a pedal, I would not recommend a junk yard for anything for a brake system.

I got my disc kit from Chockostang. I too highly recommend him.

I went with the Kelsey Hayes, non-power discs. You don't need power brakes. This can save you some money. Yeah, to install disc brakes the right way, it will cost you some money. While it's possible to save a few bucks by piecing things together, I would not recommend trying unless you were extremely familiar with all the pieces and parts and how they would work together.

Be careful of kits you see advertised on the Internet. While the prices may look good, they are typically incomplete. By the time you get all the parts you need, you wont' be saving any money. Also, the quality of the parts may be suspect.

Anyway, I really like my KH kit from Chockostang.
Israel and 2nd 66 like this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page