1965 power steering pump leaking. How to stop? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By watto1

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

1965 power steering pump leaking. How to stop?

My 65 power steering pump is leaking. It all began when I moved the bracket holding the back of the pump out of the way to get to the oil sending unit at the base of the engine. At first I thought it was the return line or nipple may have cracked. But its farther up. It looks to be where the bolt comes out that holds the bracket. It leaks pretty good to. I first thought it was oil but now I found its leaking through the bolt hole.

Any ideas of what I can do?,

Thanks
Dean

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok I think i found the issue. There is a thin nut in between the canister and the bracket. I thought it was welded in. When I took the bracket off I found it was really loose - I tightened and waiting to see if it leaks. Easy fix if that's all there is.

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:58 PM

I also has a leak in my Convertible PS. It was the seat inside the hose. We replaced that seat (they’re cheap!) and we solved the issue. I’m happy you have fix that leak.

Josep

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]

Last edited by Josep; 06-30-2019 at 03:04 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
I also has a leak in my Convertible PS. It was the seat inside the hose. We replaced that seat (theyíre cheap!) and we solved the issue. Iím happy you have fix that leak.

Josep
Thanks Josep!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RR View Post
Ok I think i found the issue. There is a thin nut in between the canister and the bracket. I thought it was welded in. When I took the bracket off I found it was really loose - I tightened and waiting to see if it leaks. Easy fix if that's all there is.
You probably have it sorted, the thin nut seals the pressure outlet of the pump by pressing on an internal fibre washer, guaranteed to leak if it's louse..
Good work!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
69RR likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 AM

[quote=watto1;10190304]You probably have it sorted, the thin nut seals the pressure outlet of the pump by pressing on an internal fibre washer, guaranteed to leak if it's loose..
Good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page