1970 302 overheating: everything updated - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
muk

1970 302 overheating: everything updated

Hi Y'all.
I know there are a ton of overheating posts here, but I have not found a resolution with the information in them.

Scenario:
I have a primarily stock 1970 302, in a coupe with about 200,000 miles on it. No smoke, runs great. Has headers and an HEI distributor, but that has never been an issue.
Last year it started to overheat to high and oil pressure pegging high, out of the blue.
I replaced things in stages with no change.
1) new hoses including a spring in the exit hose. No change.

2) replaced stock radiator ( old one had the usual 50 year build up) with a 3-row aluminium one. It has a fan shroud too. No change.
3) replaced stock water pump with a high-flow milodon 16231 and a high-flow milodon thermostat. No change.
4) I did a coolant system flush. No change.
5) I replaced the instrument panel voltage regulator just in case I was getting false readings. No change. Except now I don't have oil pressure reading. The gauge or route to gauge is dead.
6) I changed oil/filter as a last resort in the remote case the oil filter was clogged. Turns out the filter was dry (just a little in it). OY!

After the oil change, I did a test run. A little highway driving. A little smashing to 4K rpm. It looked like that was the issue.
I took it out today and it's still overheating.
I have nothing else in my repertoire of tests to check.

Any help would be splendid!

-Mark

Last edited by muk; 06-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Let me get this straight: You ran your engine. No oil in the filter. Changed the oil, started it again, and revved to 4k? out on the highway?

Did you check the filter again?

I'm hoping with your high volume pump that you didn't snap the pump drive rod. If you've run this thing with no oil pressure out on the road and revved it like that, you may have a lot more repairs in your near future.

Edit: Oops, reread this more carefully. With stock oil pump I would not be as worried about the rod. Probably still a good idea to check it though!
2nd 66 likes this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Grimbrand; 06-30-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 PM

When it is hot are you blowing steam and puking coolant?
2nd 66 likes this.

Everybody has to start some place

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Have you verified that it is ACTUALLY overheating and not just reading HOT on the gauge?
patrickstapler and 2nd 66 like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Seriously, drop a thermal probe into the radiator. Have you verified you actually have water flow...thermostat is opening?
2nd 66 likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
tic tac toe four likes in a row
Grimbrand likes this.

Brad
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 PM

is it actually overheating and boiling over or is the gauge showing it is overheating?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 PM

My temp gauge reads pretty hot sometimes... 230-ish, but it doesn't blow steam or puke coolant, so I've learned to live with it... and life is good.
3 row rad is a good thing, but is it wide enough? The more the radiator can hold, the cooler it'll run. If it's narrower than the support there are plates you can buy (I made mine) that go on either side of the radiator. Do you have a shroud? With the shroud and the plates, all the air in front of the car gets drawn through the radiator rather than sneaking around it.
Attached picture shows where they go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RadPlates.jpg (315.2 KB, 17 views)

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:35 PM

Actually, with air conditioning and a 3 core aluminum radiator, you had better have a really good shroud, because you need a LOT of airflow to get past all those fins, and avoid heat saturation of the air going by.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muk View Post
Last year it started to overheat to high and oil pressure pegging high, out of the blue.
So, BOTH gauges started to read hi at the same time? Does the fuel gauge also read high? If so I would suspect the voltage regulator for the gauges that goes on the back of the instrument cluster.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 PM

What's the staus of your thermostat? Old one? Did you replace? I had similar issues. I was running a 195 degree thermostat. Switched over to a 180 degree and now it run much cooler and all around better.

Something to think about anyway.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
muk

Grimbrand:
Thinking about it, the car had been sitting all week when I did the oil change. So, the filter probably just emptied.

Asm109:
No steam, no puke.

bsgs:
The only sign of overheating is the gauge. It gets hot when on the road. When I am moving on the road, I push down the clutch and let it idle and the temp goes down really fast. When I let out the clutch again and RPMs come back up, the temp comes back up in a minute.

Woodchuck:
I have not checked that it is really overheating. What's the best way to verify that?

patrickstapler:
I have only verified flow by making sure the top hose is hot. The radiator gets hot as well.
I'll have to figure out what a thermal probe is...

CJM68GT390:
Both temp and oil pressure go up/down simultaneously. Fuel gauge seems to read normally. I already changed the instrument panel voltage regulator. Now I don't have oil pressure reading, just temp and fuel. =-(

Ibcnul8r:
Yes, replaced thermostat with a high-flow milodon.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:47 AM

So if I follow this:
you have 2 gauges reading funny- and at the same time- so I think something gauge/wiring related- you already replaced the IVR so thats not likely it

you had a DRY oil filter- this is very bad- this is the Oh sh++ moment- Obviously if you could turn 4k and it not lock up you got oil- but this should be explored before any more running/driving or you might not have to worry about it running hot anymore.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
The oil filter sits at a downward angle so if you installed the new filter dry and didn't crank up the engine it would still be dry. Otherwise, it isn't getting oil. I think I would work on finding out the situation with the oil pump right away.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
muk

Oil Pump

I guess that settles it. Oil pump is next on the list.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page