Classic Auto Air Hurricane System - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Classic Auto Air Hurricane System

Has anyone installed the CAA Hurricane A/C? The instructions that come with the car leave a lot to be desired. They are mostly generic instructions and do not cover the details for. Mustang well. I’m installing a used system in a 65 Fastback. These are the questions I have so far.

1. Where do you run the cable for t(e hot water.cut off valve? The instructions don’t even mention it.
2. Where is the best place to run the wiring for the pressure switch?
3. What do you use to plug the old heater hose hole since they are no longer used. One again the instructions ignore them
4. Do I need to se the aluminum liquid line if the hose is long enough without it?

Any help, or pics would be appreciated

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:47 AM

Are you using "classic auto air" or "old air"? Old Air makes the Hurricane and classic auto makes the perfect fit system.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_cob View Post
Are you using "classic auto air" or "old air"? Old Air makes the Hurricane and classic auto makes the perfect fit system.
Sorry, you are correct. Itís the Old Air Hurricane system.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 PM

It won't help you tonight, but give them a call. I've used them on other cars and utilized their tech service with great results. You may want to refrain from mentioning that you bought it used though. I'm just about to pull the trigger on an upgrade system from them for my 66. However, I need to ask a few questions first, and they are closed now.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:48 PM

Garage
I'm in the middle of installing this system now. I figured the heater holes would get a plug and/or grommet for the many wires still needed to run in and out. It appears the long hard line will help me run under my relocated battery, but I don't know how it will work with yours. Yes, the instructions blow, but the support is pretty good as he^ said! Mine is hooking to a factory '88 5.0 compressor which ads difficulty points not needed on this project. Let us know how it goes!

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.(Goes to work twice a week)
5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Old Air A/C system.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html

1969 Mach 1: 1000 miles (almost) to get it....in progress(slow)
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...long-term.html
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 665spd View Post
I'm in the middle of installing this system now. I figured the heater holes would get a plug and/or grommet for the many wires still needed to run in and out. It appears the long hard line will help me run under my relocated battery, but I don't know how it will work with yours. Yes, the instructions blow, but the support is pretty good as he^ said! Mine is hooking to a factory '88 5.0 compressor which ads difficulty points not needed on this project. Let us know how it goes!
Did yours come with custom hoses or the kit with all the parts that you use to build your own hoses?

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
Has anyone installed the CAA Hurricane A/C? The instructions that come with the car leave a lot to be desired. They are mostly generic instructions and do not cover the details for. Mustang well. I’m installing a used system in a 65 Fastback. These are the questions I have so far.

1. Where do you run the cable for t(e hot water.cut off valve? The instructions don’t even mention it.
2. Where is the best place to run the wiring for the pressure switch?
3. What do you use to plug the old heater hose hole since they are no longer used. One again the instructions ignore them
4. Do I need to se the aluminum liquid line if the hose is long enough without it?

Any help, or pics would be appreciated
1: I have a hole in my firewall I run my cable through, as well as the line fore my mechanical temp gauge, and the wire for the pressure switch.
3: My kit came with plugs for the holes.
4: I used the line because it was very easy to mold and provided a cleaner look along the fender wall.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_cob View Post
1: I have a hole in my firewall I run my cable through, as well as the line fore my mechanical temp gauge, and the wire for the pressure switch.
3: My kit came with plugs for the holes.
4: I used the line because it was very easy to mold and provided a cleaner look along the fender wall.
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. Do you happen to have a pic of of how you hooked up the water cut off?

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member

Is the hurricane the one that looks most like the factory a/c? Please keep us updated on how this goes

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Did yours come with custom hoses or the kit with all the parts that you use to build your own hoses?
Mine was ordered for the Denso compressor, so t came with a bag of ends to have crimped myself

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Old Air A/C system.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine was ordered for the Denso compressor, so t came with a bag of ends to have crimped myself
If you have any left overs let me know, I might be able to use them to fab up one or two of the hoses I need! It would be helpful to look at your install too. What town r u in? I'm in Niceville.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you have any left overs let me know, I might be able to use them to fab up one or two of the hoses I need! It would be helpful to look at your install too. What town r u in? I'm in Niceville.
HA! Aren't I the inattentive one! Yes you're welcome to anything I have including my A/C machine! I'm in Cantonment (North Pensacola). Any A/C shop can fab up the hoses pretty cheap too once you have everything fitted. My neighbor owns an A/C shop and fabbed the lines for my old C10 serpentine compressor for 85 bucks! My sister is in Niceville, takes her 45 mins to get here!

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Garage
Of course, progress is very slow. The 5.0 plenum takes up alot of valuable engine bay space and hoses are tricky to route. Not to mention my pesky job keeps takin' all my time. I'm expecting about 2 weeks before I get this sucker installed!

Greg

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
HA! Aren't I the inattentive one! Yes you're welcome to anything I have including my A/C machine! I'm in Cantonment (North Pensacola). Any A/C shop can fab up the hoses pretty cheap too once you have everything fitted. My neighbor owns an A/C shop and fabbed the lines for my old C10 serpentine compressor for 85 bucks! My sister is in Niceville, takes her 45 mins to get here!
That’s great, I know Exactly where Cantonment is. I may take you up on the offer for the machine too. I just finished installing my 68 original A/C. As soon as I track down a leak in it I’m ready to charge it.

After looking at your system and comparing it to the parts I have I should be able to fab up the parts I am missing.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

Last edited by Flade; 07-02-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 PM

@Flade I am from Bonifay right up the road. I am active duty army stationed in San Antonio right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page