Just got back from the scales - Vintage Mustang Forums
 20Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Just got back from the scales

I found a scale at the local Aldi trucking warehouse and weighed my 66. I got 1780 front and 1520 rear for 3300 lbs total. That's with me in it (200lbs) and over half a tank of gas. 54/46 weight distribution is not as bad as I expected, but I haven't added the compressor/condenser for the a/c or the 351w yet either.

I have the RMS motor mounts with the engine as down and back as far as I can get it with the 4r70w hogging up space in the tunnel. EPAS unit is in the dash, and the 8.8 out back is heavier than what came out too. Battery is in the trunk on the R side.

Any thought or suggestions?

I'm thinking the 351w will need aluminum heads and hopefully not be heavier than the 302. Would a fiberglass hood shed much weight up front? The 351w might hit the factory hood I have anyways.

Also, here's a pic of my uncorrected speedo for fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg go fast.jpg (414.7 KB, 32 views)

1966 Mustang 302ci 4r70w, csrp front discs, 8.8 rear, EPAS, Fitech for fuel

Last edited by copracr; 07-01-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Dimples

Garage
I donít think thatís bad at all. Aluminum heads will help with more things than weight. Otherwise, I think youíre doing pretty well there. Nice to be 500+lbs lighter than the newer pony cars.

The anvil of reality.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I donít think thatís bad at all. Aluminum heads will help with more things than weight. Otherwise, I think youíre doing pretty well there. Nice to be 500+lbs lighter than the newer pony cars.
I'd just like to know the option package that would get you to 2445 like wikipedia says. That's got to have no engine or seats in it

1966 Mustang 302ci 4r70w, csrp front discs, 8.8 rear, EPAS, Fitech for fuel

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
Shave your legs for a good 5# weight reduction!
My 67 390 w/iron heads and tranny weighs 3100 flat. Weighed it at several different scales too. Fiberglass front bumper, no back seat, heavy sound insulation removed, manual steer and brakes, no tail pipes. The hood won't get you much, if any. I would try a different scale next time, sounds a bit high.
zray and Huntingky like this.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:38 PM

CHECK YOUR OIL PRESSURE!

Seems kinda heavy to me, If those scales are off any i would bet they are to the heavy side so they have a margin to not be overloaded and get a ticket.
2445lbs must be dry and an I6 and no AC

Verbose Vocabularian
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copracr View Post
I'd just like to know the option package that would get you to 2445 like wikipedia says. That's got to have no engine or seats in it
Its likely a base T-Code with no AC, radio(yes, a radio was an option) or any other frills, with an empty tank.

If I filled the tank and sat in that no frills car, the car would weigh 2800lbs...so the OP is 500lbs over the no-frills base coupe...120lbs of that is the 351w...another 50 or 60lbs is the trans...plus the heavier rear-end, who knows what PS and AC options, pony interior...etc.

As far as easy weight reduction...aluminum heads, and a fiberglass hood will lose you up to 80lbs(or slightly more if you choose just a pin-on hood skin) and of course there are a number of other weight reducing things you can do...wheels and tires for example are not mentioned...17"+ wheels will add a lot of weight. You can go to the extreme of using titanium lug nuts, etc....and of course there are plenty of other weight reduction strategies. A lot of people will add sound deadening, insulation, etc that didn't come from the factory...everything you add to the car adds weight. In the end though...a 351w is not the engine choice for a featherweight car...not the heaviest engine, but not the lightest...same for the 4r70w trans. If you want to build a featherweight, your best choice is a hopped up I6(say chopped up and welded together LS1 head) mated to a T5 trans.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
... a hopped up I6(say chopped up and welded together LS1 head) mated to a T5 trans.
Care to elaborate on this one?

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:33 PM

The 289/302 engines are about 80 lbs lighter than a 351. With aluminum heads and intake, you'll be just a little lighter than a stock cast-iron 302. But, turning that around a little, going with aluminum heads and intake on a roller-cam 302, you can get a lot closer to the 50/50 weight bias you wanted.
Huskinhano and Huntingky like this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Care to elaborate on this one?
Sure:

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...rd-inline-six/

Like this guy...there is actually a whole group of Ford 6 guys who do this...for obvious reasons. They use LS heads rather than Ford heads because the LS1 firing pattern does not require a custom cam(or rather, any old performance I6 cam works fine with it...unlike say LS1 heads on a small block ford v8...which does require a custom cam). If they used Ford heads, it would require a custom cam.

Last edited by wicked93gs; 07-01-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Its likely a base T-Code with no AC, radio(yes, a radio was an option) or any other frills, with an empty tank.
a fiberglass hood will lose you up to 80lbs

wait are our hoods really that heavy?

Daily Driver 69 coupe https://imgur.com/a/FztYA

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
wait are our hoods really that heavy?
No...and yes...a stock hood weighs 46lbs...a fiberglass hood 27lbs...a hood skin abut 10-15lbs. 80lb loss is in addition to aluminum heads...or at least I meant to type it that way.
schweigert likes this.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Is the old rule of thumb that a hundred pounds is good for a tenth at the track?
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:06 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Sure:

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...rd-inline-six/

Like this guy...there is actually a whole group of Ford 6 guys who do this...for obvious reasons. They use LS heads rather than Ford heads because the LS1 firing pattern does not require a custom cam(or rather, any old performance I6 cam works fine with it...unlike say LS1 heads on a small block ford v8...which does require a custom cam). If they used Ford heads, it would require a custom cam.
1. That is really cool. First Iíve heard of such a thing.

2. As cool as that is, you make it sound like itís a viable option for the street. It clearly is not. The bore spacing doesnít even match. This appears to be a wacky race idea that sort of worked for one guy 5 years ago.

The anvil of reality.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:30 PM

Actually...this guy was the pioneer...the others doing it are welding the heads and coming up with a semi-reliable engine. I personally wouldnt go that route...far easier to find an aluminum Aussie crossflow head...or swap in a later SOHC 4.0 or DOHC 4.0 Aussie engine...but I do admire the work involved.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
...or swap in a later SOHC 4.0 or DOHC 4.0 Aussie engine...but I do admire the work involved.
To bring it back to weight, I dunno man. A Barra 6 weighs about 75lbs less than a 289 with iron heads. I think that killed your featherweight plans while adding 5x or more cost.

The anvil of reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page