Sport valved Bilsteins - Very impressive - Vintage Mustang Forums
 11Likes
  • 9 Post By Benny
  • 1 Post By Benny
  • 1 Post By Benny

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Sport valved Bilsteins - Very impressive

I replaced the Konis on my GT350 clone on Saturday, with Sport valved Bilsteins from Street or Track.

I was on the fence about getting the street or sport valving....as I get older (40) Iím starting to prefer a bit more comfort, and I didnít want it to be too harsh.

I ended up going for the ĎSportí valving, and my concerns about harshness were totally unfounded. The car is actually just as comfortable as it was with the Konis on their softest setting. Itís not the slightest bit harsh.

Where the Bilsteins were really great was out in the mountain twisties yesterday. The car was much more controlled, and confidence inspiring as it soaks up high-speed bumps in a way that I almost couldnít believe. This was probably the single best change Iíve ever made to this car.

One thing I used to deal with was my suspension bottoming out fairly frequently with my 540 lb/in springs, but it never bottomed out once with the Bilsteins. Adjusting the Konis never seemed to help this, because (I believe) they are only adjustable on rebound.

From the pics, you can also see Iím part-way through converting my car from an ĎRí valance to stock sheetmetal and bumper. I love the way it works with the steel wheel.....hoping to paint the new panels this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 599EF37A-9DDE-4E81-BF7F-CABCDD8D4B85.jpg (543.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg E9298C3C-8E1B-4AF2-9895-092B0E89A311.jpg (542.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 0D078409-36B2-4707-8B2F-3EA22AB30279.jpg (531.2 KB, 23 views)
Huskinhano, Brent, Caper50 and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Looks great! Good to hear someone coming from Konis also. I've been on the fence between Koni and Bilsteins so this was definitely helpful info. Did the Bilsteins change your stance at all?

Did you have to cut some coil in front and use lowering blocks in the rear for your stance? My 66 is pretty low also and I have the same issue with it occasionally bottoming out, even with 560lbf/in front coils and 4.5 leaf reverse eyes. Besides planning to change out my old KYB shocks, I've also plan to slowly rollerizing the suspension and/or remove rubber anywhere I can. So far I've only done the coil spring perches and strut rods but that was a noticeable change.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Looks great! Good to hear someone coming from Konis also. I've been on the fence between Koni and Bilsteins so this was definitely helpful info. Did the Bilsteins change your stance at all?

Did you have to cut some coil in front and use lowering blocks in the rear for your stance? My 66 is pretty low also and I have the same issue with it occasionally bottoming out, even with 560lbf/in front coils and 4.5 leaf reverse eyes. Besides planning to change out my old KYB shocks, I've also plan to slowly rollerizing the suspension and/or remove rubber anywhere I can. So far I've only done the coil spring perches and strut rods but that was a noticeable change.

Your shocks should not determine your ride height. Their sole purpose is to modify the spring's rebound. If your current shocks are holding up the weight of your car, they're garbage. I suspect you're bottoming out because the KYBs aren't great at controlling rebound.

That said - I LOVE my Bilsteins. Money well spent IMHO.

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:05 PM

I put on Bilstein sports last weekend and I am glad I went with the Sport and not Street. I was also looking for a nice ride v/s harsh but these sport versions are PERFECT, I actually am curious how the race versions feel. I too would have to be careful in some spots of bottoming out if I was going too fast through in intersection or "hump" in the road. That seems to be cured with the Bilsteins, I have about 100 miles on them and like them.

I have 620 1" lowering springs, 235-45-17's in the front and 245-45-17's rear.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Brent,

I agree with Sparky66, that shock absorbers should never influence ride height.

My leaf springs are 5-leaf Global West (L-10?) springs, which sit basically flat, right out of the box. My car has some thin, pinion angle wedges under the axle, which probably bring the car down another 3/8Ē.

The front springs are whatever Moog springs are used to produce the aftermarket 540 lb/in springs, and I just kept cutting them down until the lower arms were parallel with the ground, and the front sat appropriately compared to the rear.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Garage
What model/part number Bilsteins did you use?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:08 PM

Looks great, and Good to hear.. Iím looking to replace my shocks and have been a fan on Bilstiens in my truck. I also bottom out when the family is with me and was hoping the sport Bilstiens would help that. I know what my next purchase will be!

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Same here. I was on the fence between the Street or the Sport version. In a knee jerk move I blurted out Sports to Shaun. No regrets, love them

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:04 PM

was it just a shock swap? or did you change out any of the other parts?

Daily Driver 69 coupe https://imgur.com/a/FztYA

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
was it just a shock swap? or did you change out any of the other parts?
It was just a shock swap.

The car already has:
-Export brace
-Monte Carlo bar
-Global West upper and lower arms
-Roller spring perches
-Boss 302 Trans-Am crossmember
-Roller Idler Arm
-Heim jointed, adjustable strut rods

So, I was just going from Konis to Bilsteins on this solid platform, and the difference was amazing.
schweigert likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
It was just a shock swap.

The car already has:
-Export brace
-Monte Carlo bar
-Global West upper and lower arms
-Roller spring perches
-Boss 302 Trans-Am crossmember
-Roller Idler Arm
-Heim jointed, adjustable strut rods

So, I was just going from Konis to Bilsteins on this solid platform, and the difference was amazing.
Benny, you just described my suspension except I have the Opentracker delrin strut rods (same shocks). I have not chosen rear springs yet. Do you have the delrin rear spring bushings?

Look like I am on the right track with my choices and should be happy once my car is on the road.

Very nice looking car; your pics look like you were on MT Laguna (sunrise hwy)?

James

66 Coupe Project 289
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitelbj View Post
Benny, you just described my suspension except I have the Opentracker delrin strut rods (same shocks). I have not chosen rear springs yet. Do you have the delrin rear spring bushings?

Look like I am on the right track with my choices and should be happy once my car is on the road.

Very nice looking car; your pics look like you were on MT Laguna (sunrise hwy)?
Yes, I have the Del-Alum bushings in my leaf springs. They were fairly difficult to install, but Iím glad I went with them. If you end up getting them, drop me a line, and I can pass along some lessons I learned during my installation.

Iím also running Bilstein rear shocks, which I installed about a month ago. Those werenít as transformative as the fronts, but I do prefer them over the rear Konis I had.

You are pretty close on the location. I live in La Mesa, so I take Lyons Valley to Japatul Valley, so these pics are sort of in the foothills of Mt Laguna.
Eitelbj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page