Is This What We Have Come To? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 28Likes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellis View Post
No one is commenting on the $2.7M for a 2019 corvette?! I get that it’s the last front engine one built, will be collectible for sure... but $2.7M?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No more ridiculous than the first off the assembly line 2019 supra being auctioned at B-J last year for $1mil plus. That was for charity too.

21 YEARS AND COUNTING
67 Convertible 289/C4
Originally Vintage Burgandy
Now Porsche Iris Blue Metallic

Last edited by 67CustomStang; 07-03-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:38 AM

This reinforces a statement I made last week under the "Unpopular Opinions" thread:

And then when I started seeing some of the beautiful cars people were butchering to turn into clones, and the number of mindless minions who barely knew what a Mustang was start clamoring for more, the shine really wore off. Being at a car show and watching people walk past pristine genuine GT-350s and GT-500s to take a picture of Eleanor just makes me shake my head.
As I have stated before, I believe there are idiots out there who would take a beautiful GT500 and turn it into an Eleanor clone.
Groundpounder17 and vegasloki like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Truth be told the movie car is a better CAR in every respect. Maybe the buyer was just looking for a nice ride, not a museum piece ... ;-) (hides behind a bulletproof glass)
vegasloki likes this.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
Indeed. Most folks that can spend that kind of money on a vehicle did not get that capability by being dumb.
I would argue otherwise. The people dropping big coin to buy such cars likely inherited their money. They got more money than we will ever make in a lifetime simply by being born. This is especially true in in the northeast where there is a lot of "Old Money". If you were born into the Johnson & Johnson family, for example, you don't need to be smart to be rich.

Another category of such people is the "dumb luck" crowd. Many people stumble into wealth. They start a bunch of businesses which all fail due to ineptitude. Then, the person makes a product or provides a service that suddenly takes off. Nothing to do with intelligence. Just dumb luck. Stock traders who hit it big are often held up as amazing oracles. Nope. They just got lucky. No different than someone hitting a slot machine jackpot; just on a larger scale. Most Hollywood celebrities would fall into this category. They aren't rich and famous because they're the most talented people. They simply lucked into a big break and movie and TV studios figured they could make them money.

Sure, some people get rich through very hard work, smarts and perseverance. Those people aren't getting drunk and paying too much for custom cars.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Maybe the trunk was full of cocaine?
Groundpounder17 likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I would argue otherwise. The people dropping big coin to buy such cars likely inherited their money. They got more money than we will ever make in a lifetime simply by being born. This is especially true in in the northeast where there is a lot of "Old Money". If you were born into the Johnson & Johnson family, for example, you don't need to be smart to be rich.

Another category of such people is the "dumb luck" crowd. Many people stumble into wealth. They start a bunch of businesses which all fail due to ineptitude. Then, the person makes a product or provides a service that suddenly takes off. Nothing to do with intelligence. Just dumb luck. Stock traders who hit it big are often held up as amazing oracles. Nope. They just got lucky. No different than someone hitting a slot machine jackpot; just on a larger scale. Most Hollywood celebrities would fall into this category. They aren't rich and famous because they're the most talented people. They simply lucked into a big break and movie and TV studios figured they could make them money.

Sure, some people get rich through very hard work, smarts and perseverance. Those people aren't getting drunk and paying too much for custom cars.

John Staluppi who was the 2nd bidder on the C7 vette earned his fortune selling Honda's. At least that's where the "legitimate" part of his fortune came from

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757

Last edited by Lightning; 07-04-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Supporting Member

for example, people that earned billions in the tech industry, or pick any industry, can be dumb as a rock when it comes to a subject OUTSIDE their area of expertise. But they have been told by all underlings how fabulously smart they are. This reinforcement coming over and over, can blind a person to the reality. Which is, they did very very in a narrow slice of the economy. That doesn't always transfer to being generally smart about everything.

What is at work here is a mixture of ego, hubris (as in "pride that comes before a fall"), and the need to out do the Jones, or in this case, outdoing the Kardashians. Perhaps more aptly named, "The Karcinogens".

Z
Groundpounder17 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page