Flex plate problem - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Flex plate problem

I put my stroked 302 back in my 68 mustang after 2 years of car sitting in my garage. When we started it it made all kinds of noise. Sounded like flex plate was hitting everything. Did a search on here and seen a post from 2001 from a guy that put his motor in and gad same problem and he didnt have torque converter drain lined up with the hole in the flex plate. I put mine on the lift and turned engine over by hand and flex plate is running crooked as heck.Hoping this is my trouble also.Anyone else had this issue or am I one of the few that screwed this up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Sounds to me like that might be your problem... but if it is, you might need a new flexplate.
Years ago I'd purchased a 5.0 (which I never used). The seller got rid of the engine because there was a vibration he couldn't resolve. I removed the flexplate and discovered it was bent. That drain plug might be the reason it was. The seller may have installed the converter incorrectly, removed it and re-installed it, but the plate was toast after the first try.
It made a nice clock though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190702_222503.jpg (406.6 KB, 3 views)

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
I did that years ago . It can be corrected by unbolting the transmission and trans mount
and carefully separating the trans and motor. You probably can leave the bellhousing bolts
connected to the block with a few threads. Good luck .

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page