JBA Shorty Problem? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
Could I get a picture of yours? I'm not having the same experience as you.
I forgot to mention before, but my spark plug lead ends are 90 degrees. Excuse the dirty engine.

Here is the socket with the holes drilled and also on the spark plug. I had to pull out the rubber ring inside the socket that grips the spark plug when loose, as this was fouling the spark plug tip when trying to get it on. This socket has a hex end on it, but it is quite large and a ring spanner will not fit in the limited space.

I completely forgot that I since got another spark plug socket with a smaller hex end on it. And this one will work with a ring spanner. And I now prefer this over the drilled one above and having to use a metal rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westmus View Post
Just want to add that what I called "45 degree" boots are the same as the 135 degree. The wire goes up nearly vertical from the plug with these. While the wire will be angled with 90 degree boots. It's mostly about how you want it to look.
At this point, I don't really care how it looks. I want it to work! Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
I was present when that particular header design was prototyped (on a '66 Mustang GT).
That tube is NOT where I recall, so I just looked at the prints. (I used to work at JBA
back in the day when they did in-house production, before selling it off to Pertronix)
Apparently someone has changed that production jig. Same deal on the 1650-1. Tube
location is changed from the original placement. See original catalog page below.
Interesting. I wonder why they changed the 1650SJS?

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFox View Post
I forgot to mention before, but my spark plug lead ends are 90 degrees. Excuse the dirty engine.

Here is the socket with the holes drilled and also on the spark plug. I had to pull out the rubber ring inside the socket that grips the spark plug when loose, as this was fouling the spark plug tip when trying to get it on. This socket has a hex end on it, but it is quite large and a ring spanner will not fit in the limited space.

I completely forgot that I since got another spark plug socket with a smaller hex end on it. And this one will work with a ring spanner. And I now prefer this over the drilled one above and having to use a metal rod.

This is perfect. Thanks for the photos. I'll figure something out based on this!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:22 PM

Garage
I had the same issue with my JBA mid-length headers. I finally found a product from Powerhouse and it is a Spark Plug socket 13/16" SKU POW301155. It's not cheap at $59.34, but it easily slips over the plug, and you can get them out pretty fast. Plugs 7 & 8 are now a breeze to get out, where before it was impossible.

You can also just trying to Google it and see if you can find it somewhere else cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerhouse POW301155.jpg (159.9 KB, 14 views)

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
What ever happened to designing a product that actually functions without having to
Buy/build custom tools to just change a spark plug?

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I had the same issue with my JBA mid-length headers. I finally found a product from Powerhouse and it is a Spark Plug socket 13/16" SKU POW301155. It's not cheap at $59.34, but it easily slips over the plug, and you can get them out pretty fast. Plugs 7 & 8 are now a breeze to get out, where before it was impossible.

You can also just trying to Google it and see if you can find it somewhere else cheaper.
Wow, cool tool. For that price, I think I might try to make something in the meantime. Thanks for letting me know it exists, though, just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6fastback View Post
What ever happened to designing a product that actually functions without having to
Buy/build custom tools to just change a spark plug?
That's what I'm sayin... never would have thought it would be necessary to create a custom tool or buy a specialized part to change a SPARK PLUG Wow. Anyway, they were a little pricey, so I'll make em work.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
JBA Shorty Problem?

MATCO has some really nifty sockets you might find helpful. I know I did.

The black ones... The other two are for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kent-

It's your car, dammit.
Do what makes you happy
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
So why do you guys use these headers if they cause so many issues like this?
Turnall likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
People that see it as an real issue or a serious problem that not all spark plug suckets will work, are going to have a really hard time wrenching on cars. 🙂
rhutt likes this.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Because when we bought them we didn't know it was going to be a problem with changing the spark plugs.

Now that I have my new spark plug sockets it won't be an issue anymore.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:55 AM

I have the JBA shortys on my car because they were the only ones that “sort of” fit my ‘65. They still slightly make contact in one area that I still need to fix.

I did notice the plug issue though. I’m seriously thinking of changing them to FPA when I upgrade the motor.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:28 AM

I use a Craftsman spark plug socket with a short box wrench on the end.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Because they look cool silly, why else
c6fastback likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ramage View Post
I have the JBA shortys on my car because they were the only ones that “sort of” fit my ‘65. They still slightly make contact in one area that I still need to fix.

I did notice the plug issue though. I’m seriously thinking of changing them to FPA when I upgrade the motor.
Uh oh... what area needs to be fixed? Looking likely that I'll have to do the same.

Thanks, Alex

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 PM

I installed a set last year on a 68 with a 302. I did need to massage a little on the gear box to gain clearance but was able to get them to fit without denting any tubes. I remember the spark plug was a pain to get to but was able to install it without any special tools. Overall I thought they were a good fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page