Advice for quarter panel - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jedi_jackson
  • 1 Post By jedi_jackson

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Advice for quarter panel

After a long hiatus on working on my fastback, I'm ready to get started again and I'm getting ready to order some full 67 fastback quarter panels. Probably going to order from cj pony parts and they have 2 different quarters listed. One listed with no brand name and the other is dynacorn branded in weld through primer. About $200 difference between a set of them. Anybody have advice? I don't care to pay for the dynacorn quality, just don't want to pay that much more for just weld through primer. Thanks!

I promise I bought it that way ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:28 AM

I have some older, e-coated FB quarters from Dynacorn. I'm still fitting them, but everything seems correct. I don't know about the the unbranded ones, but the Dynacorn ones I have are galvanized. That is worth it to me, though is probably unnecessary considering it will be living inside for the rest of my days.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 AM

Warning: People have run into a length issue on driver's side quarters...regardless of whether its Dynacorn or not(watch some of the YouTube videos). The length issue was still there on the Dynacorn panel, though less severe....the videos I watched the guy had to section away a portion of the panel to make it right so it lined up correctly at the tailight panel. Its the sole reason I havent bought a new quarter for my coupe to undo the lap weld lower patch of the PO on my car. I will qualify this statement with the fact that those were coupe quarters and not fastback quarters...but watch some youtube videos on driver side quarter replacement and see if they have any issues for fastbacks.

P.S. Is that signature picture real? That poor car...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOverMyHead View Post
I have some older, e-coated FB quarters from Dynacorn. I'm still fitting them, but everything seems correct. I don't know about the the unbranded ones, but the Dynacorn ones I have are galvanized. That is worth it to me, though is probably unnecessary considering it will be living inside for the rest of my days.
Galvanized? Are you sure? I mean...I often spray my panels in "bright galvanizing compound". Not because I believe for a second it galvanizes anything, but because its a paint with a high zinc content...AKA, a weld-thru primer substitute.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Give NPD a call. The owner Rick is a active member here and gives honest feedback on parts. They shop for the best fitting sheet metal. Doesnt mean its going to be perfect but at least they should be able to give you a heads up on any fitment issues

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Galvanized? Are you sure? I mean...I often spray my panels in "bright galvanizing compound". Not because I believe for a second it galvanizes anything, but because its a paint with a high zinc content...AKA, a weld-thru primer substitute.
I mean, the Dynacorn label says it's galvanized. I can take a picture if I think about it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Warning: People have run into a length issue on driver's side quarters...regardless of whether its Dynacorn or not(watch some of the YouTube videos). The length issue was still there on the Dynacorn panel, though less severe....the videos I watched the guy had to section away a portion of the panel to make it right so it lined up correctly at the tailight panel. Its the sole reason I havent bought a new quarter for my coupe to undo the lap weld lower patch of the PO on my car. I will qualify this statement with the fact that those were coupe quarters and not fastback quarters...but watch some youtube videos on driver side quarter replacement and see if they have any issues for fastbacks.

P.S. Is that signature picture real? That poor car...
Yes, unfortunately it is real. Guy I bought it from liked to customize things.
Huntingky likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
NO! Don't get them from CJ! I got mine from CJ and they were TERRIBLE. Required at least as much work in filling and prepping them as they costed; they were wavy, and the countour wasn't even great. The part for the taillight cap was an absolute nightmare; I had to weld a piece of my old quarter onto the back and fill it with fiberglass because it was so low. On CJ's website, their description says:

"These heavy-duty steel panels will require some modifications and adjustments to achieve the perfect fit to your classic pony's body.

And this was most certainly true for me. For a brand new part, I spent a lot of time filling and pounding on the damn things to get them to fit. If you're okay with that, then you might save some money, but it really annoyed me. I made them work, but it took much more time than I wanted.

I can't vouch for other sources, but I can say that the fenders I ordered from NPD required zero surface prep. A little bit of flange-flattening here and there to get them to cozy up, but they weren't wavy or problematic like the quarters I got from CJ's. If I were you, I would seriously consider spending the little extra for a part from NPD because their sheet metal seems to be superior.

Just my 2 cents.

IMG_3147.jpg
IMG_3148.jpg
IMG_3505.jpg
IMG_3405.jpg
IMG_3637.jpg

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
Sorry, some of the pics uploaded sideways. Having the usual grievances with the VMF website.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
Sorry, some of the pics uploaded sideways. Having the usual grievances with the VMF website.
I stopped uploading pics to VMF, and just host them on photobucket...got tired of my pics loading upside down
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Supporting Member

Your car looks like it’s coming along well! I second calling Rick at NPD.

I have to ask....what is the story behind the car? Why did the PO do that to the front end?

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Your car looks like its coming along well! I second calling Rick at NPD.

I have to ask....what is the story behind the car? Why did the PO do that to the front end?
He loved to customize things and thought it was a work of art. He thought it could be in magazines like he fixed it. Almost ruined the sale when I was talking about restoring it.
Groundpounder17 likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I also found another site, justsheetmetal.com. anybody deal with them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page