Sacramento County: Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 101Likes
Closed Thread

post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash View Post
Itís a stupid law. Hopefully it wonít pass.
I believe it already has.
Quote:
Yes, I know the law says otherwise but no one is going to come kicking in my door.
Not unless someone decides to turn you in for whatever reason, or the BATFE catches wind of it.

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml

Quote:
While individuals of legal drinking age may produce wine or beer at home for personal or family use, Federal law strictly prohibits individuals from producing distilled spirits at home (see 26 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5042(a)(2) and 5053(e)). Producing distilled spirits at any place other than a TTB-qualified distilled spirits plant can expose you to Federal charges for serious offenses and lead to consequences including, but not necessarily limited to, the following:

Within title 26 of the United States Code, section 5601 sets out criminal penalties for activities including the following. Offenses under this section are felonies that are punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for each offense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Garage
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " - Ronald Reagan
FrankieThe69Kid and DrHawkeye like this.

[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), original 289 A code engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in May of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 speed back in the mid '80's, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Koni's, Opentracker UCA, LCA, roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Sac county is pretty dang big and has a lot of rural area. Haven't had time (and probably wont make time) to read the particulars specifically the zoning details. This sounds like something that may be selectively enforced in the more densely populated areas to rout out the nuisance home auto repair businesses.

I used to run the bead blast cabinet late at night but I did check with the neighbors to ensure it wasn't an issue.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:48 PM

I live in Sac County. I am not running a business out of my garage. I have zero worries but appreciate you posting the link.

As for living in California, I could care less what others think of this magnificent state. Expensive, yep. liberal, yep in some places, high humidity, nope, frozen tundra in the winter, nope, drive your vert year round, yep. I have lived here 48 or my 48 years and there is nowhere else I would ever live.
rpm, gus91326, Fishfreq and 1 others like this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

There are cities in socal where it is illegal to work on your car. In the early 1990's a guy I know got a ticket for changing spark plugs in his drive way in vinice beach. In another area(I dont remember the name) it is illegal to change a flat tire on your car even in your own driveway. A friend got a ticket for doing that. Another friend lived in an area in florida and it is illegal to park a pickup truck out in the open in your driveway. He had a very nice el camino and got a ticket and was told it had to be in a garage but a sedan can be parked out in the open. In socal where i live it is illegal to park a vehicle that doesnt run out in the open in your driveway. Even if it is a bran new car and wont start you either have to have it taken to a repair shop or put it in a garage. Back in 1986 when I lived in houston a guy in the apt building where I lived had a 1960's pontiac station wagon with faded paint. It was his only car and he drove it to work. It got towed under a blight law. The law stated that vehicles that were considered blight were towed away. That law eventually got changed. I got towed from the complex because the tow company said my car had not moved in weeks. I drove the car everyday and was able to park in front of my apt everyday because there were many empty apts. I had to pay money to get my car and rotated parking spots. Back in the 90's here in cali the legislature was trying to pass a law that would make it illegal to work on your own car,close all auto parts stores and make it where you had to take your car to the dealer you bought it from for maintaince and repair. The law never got passed, at least not yet. There are lots of other car laws that are on the books and more are in the works because of the stupidity that cars are causing climate change from the co2 they blow. Gas engines blow carbon monoxide not co2. If you gotta work on it try to do it either in mississippi or behind a solid tall fence or in a garage out of sight.
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:34 PM

“Gas engines blow carbon monoxide not co2.”

Not true.
CO2 is product of combustion. No matter what type of hydrocarbon is burned.
Gas engines produce both CO2 and CO.
Klutch likes this.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:47 PM

If you go to the forum listed in the article it's one guy that's complaining. In the thread the guy admits to having a shop on the property and also owns a shop in town. He has a lift, says it's not installed but swears he wasn't doing any work that's not allowed. He's saying it's $700 to appeal a civil code enforcement action. I can't find anything to support that.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
Back in the 90's here in cali the legislature was trying to pass a law that would make it illegal to work on your own car,close all auto parts stores and make it where you had to take your car to the dealer you bought it from for maintenance and repair. The law never got passed, at least not yet.
They'll find it extremely difficult to enforce any law that suggests only being able to take a vehicle back to a dealer for repair work.... warranty or other repair work.
Magnuson-Moss speaks to this at the FTC level and supersedes the state (any state).

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blog...ctions-repairs

I'm involved in an organization that watchdogs auto repair stuff at the federal level.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
DMO

In this day and age, it would be interesting to see the interworking's of California (State & Local) vs. Federal law...
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:31 PM

Garage
"...Furthermore, this kind of activity [working on cars] increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property values.​"

WHAT?

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstang View Post
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -George Will, Quoted in Frederick (Md.) News, 19 July 1976. February 1976, Sunday News Journal (Wilmington, DE), pg. 9, col. 1:
Yankee Joke, Sen. Edmund D. Muskie, D-Maine. May 1976, Arcadia Tribune, pg. D4, col. 4:
Rep. John Rousselot

FIFY.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
ďGas engines blow carbon monoxide not co2.Ē

Not true.
CO2 is product of combustion. No matter what type of hydrocarbon is burned.
Gas engines produce both CO2 and CO.
In fact a typical engine produces about 500 grams of CO2 per mile and about 3 grams of CO.
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
They'll find it extremely difficult to enforce any law that suggests only being able to take a vehicle back to a dealer for repair work.... warranty or other repair work.
Magnuson-Moss speaks to this at the FTC level and supersedes the state (any state).

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blog...ctions-repairs

I'm involved in an organization that watchdogs auto repair stuff at the federal level.
There was a big backlash from people that moved here from another state and people living here that moved to a different area and people with vehicles bought from dealers that had folded.
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Garage
It isn't just out west. Here in Texas where I live the tax board tried to tax my shop as a business. I had to go down and file a protest on it.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
It isn't just out west. Here in Texas where I live the tax board tried to tax my shop as a business. I had to go down and file a protest on it.

So do you just get a refund then as you are just pouring money into your own car?? Seems fair to me.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page