Sacramento County: Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage - Page 5 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 101Likes
Closed Thread

post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:51 PM

Sounds like Brevard County in Florida refusing to give a plumbing permit to a friend of mine who built a detached garage/workshop complete with man cave on his problem stating he would be able to dump used oil down his sink. That's an excellent way to have costly repairs of his septic system and contaminating his own drain field and drinking water. He finished his garage and put the sink, shower, kitchenette in afterwards since he doesn't use county water or sewer. It saved him some money too since he only had to run one water line via a garden hose from the spigot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Found this out from a friend last night.

He bought a restored 66 Fairlane from out of state last last week. Trailer it because it doesnt have a current tag and unloaded it in his driveway. He works but his boss will let him take off for a DMV appointment. He told me the soonest available is in 3 weeks. The DMV is way behind out here. On friday code enforcement was riding around looking to give out fines and ticketed his restored fairlane for being parked in "his driveway at his house he owns" with no license tag. Code enforcement gave him 24 hours to register or remove the vehicle from his property or it will be towed. He put it back on his trailer and took it to his bosses truck parking lot. I called los angeles code enforcement earlier and yes it is "illegal" to have an unregistered vehicle parked in your driveway. So before you park your restored car you just bought in your driveway check your local laws. My friend will keep his fairlane at his bosses parking lot untill he gets it registered. He still has to pay the fine and I forgot to ask him how much it is.
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Not really into censoring things over what COULD have been said. I would think if being called a redneck was such a bad thing my neighbors wouldn't be sporting bumpers stickers proclaiming that they are proud to be such
LOL !

I'm a backwoods bubba redneck. Whats a redneck > A person that is usually red around the neck from wearing T shirts or shirts with no collar. My neck is usually red. The word redneck originated from light skinned farm workers. Way back when there was no sunscreen. I was barn in south mississippi. My dad grode up on a dairy/crop farm and went and got educated and became a microwave radio engineer. When I was being grode up in south mississippi and central mississippi we use to call long haired country boys that hated rock n roll rednecks. Then about as quick those of us that were musicians playing rock n roll were called rednecks. 2 of my friends worked off shore in the oil drilling in louisana as roughnecks. They were also rednecks and very very very tough and we called then roughneckrednecks. Redneck was never a bad name or derogratory term or racist or anything back then. But like the rebel flag that was never used by the confederate army the word redneck has been twisted to mean someone is racist or a bad person just like the original american flag that was on nike shoos has been called racist. So to end on a happy memory I was close by saying I never wear green or yellow shirts. They clash with my reddish tinted skin. I also remember how the color of the 2 cars in american graffiti were described. So never buy me a yellow or green shirt. I will never go green and I am not a yellow bellied sap sucker. My mommy was a cherokee and daddy was sweedish/german. So that makes me a big block ford engine with german engineering and sweedish meatball percission. Always remember to leave people with a happy memory.

Israel and DrHawkeye like this.

post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
My mommy was a cherokee and daddy was sweedish/german. So that makes me a big block ford engine with german engineering and sweedish meatball percission.
Let me rephrase that. I have Fender and Gibson guitars. So maybe I came from a pawn shop. I also have a Fender Mustang and a Mustang with fenders. I'm firecracker confused now.

Nailbender likes this.
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
Plenty of east coast communities where billboards are outlawed and business signs can’t be too big or too tall. Kinda makes it hard to find the business you’re looking for when the trees are blocking all the signs. [/quote]

It's not restricted to the "east coast", it's everywhere where people care about the appearance of the places they live. Signage restrictions are common sense, otherwise every single community would look like the Vegas strip. Many towns have enacted these types of zoning regulations in response to what they see happening in the surrounding communities that have weak or corrupted zoning boards. The town I live in and several around here prohibit businesses with a drive-thru window, they also limit the height, type, size and wattage output of sources of illumination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash View Post
There are also “historic” communities where it is dictated how you restore/repair/upgrade/decorate or otherwise maintain your home and property.

Quite true, plenty of that in areas that date back to the 1600s and 1700s. Typically known as "Historic Districts" often centered on the oldest part of a town. Towns need to protect their heritage, lest an opportunistic vulture developer comes in and levels a house that's been there since Colonial times. Happens often because it's profitable to disassemble the house for it's hand hewn beams and heart pine floors to ship off to make the latest McMansion look classy. There's also the homeowners that'll buy an historic home and slap vinyl siding on it. Restoring and maintaining a vintage home is a labor of love, just like a vintage Mustang.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:38 PM

One of my neighbors was selling his house and the REALATOR thought my flat bed race car hauler was hurting the full sales potential of the house she was selling. She filed a complaint as if SHE was the property owner . The citation came down and I fought it. The City fined me and I appealed the fine. The truck "legally" on a non op cert could NOT be demonstrated as running and driving because it was not LEGALLY able to be on the street. This along with a few other key points was my defence and it made perfect common sense to the lady arbitrator who ruled in my favor and dropped the fines. She also added a note to not harrass me any further understanding that I have daily driving cars and "weekend cars" .
The ordinance states that vehicles in public view must be operable in case there is a fire and the fire dept needs to move them. I asked the arbitrator if she had EVER seen this happen at a house fire. She replied she couldn't think of a time when she had ever seen it happen , even on TV.
Case closed!

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM

I lived in Kern County, about 100 yards North of the LA county line in an unincorporated area. They had an ordinance that stated that any vehicle, including trailers could not be parked on the street for more than 7 consecutive days. So every Friday at about 6 AM I would move the trailer from the street to my drive way. And at about 7am a CHIP would roll down my street checking for expired tags and where my trailer was parked. I didn't keep it at home all the time. I also had a spot in a commercial RV lot where it would be parked when I wasn't using it.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:24 PM

Having a non registered car in a driveway not being legal is a common thing.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
Having a non registered car in a driveway not being legal is a common thing.
That is true even here in the country. Anything goes in the backyard though, even firing AR and AK type weapons towards a state highway without a proper backstop. The logic is truly amazing.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
Found this out from a friend last night.

He bought a restored 66 Fairlane from out of state last last week. Trailer it because it doesnt have a current tag and unloaded it in his driveway. He works but his boss will let him take off for a DMV appointment. He told me the soonest available is in 3 weeks. The DMV is way behind out here. On Friday code enforcement was riding around looking to give out fines and ticketed his restored Fairlane for being parked in "his driveway at his house he owns" with no license tag. Code enforcement gave him 24 hours to register or remove the vehicle from his property or it will be towed. He put it back on his trailer and took it to his bosses truck parking lot. I called Los Angeles code enforcement earlier and yes it is "illegal" to have an unregistered vehicle parked in your driveway. So before you park your restored car you just bought in your driveway check your local laws. My friend will keep his Fairlane at his bosses parking lot until he gets it registered. He still has to pay the fine and I forgot to ask him how much it is.
Foolish man. He should have put a car cover on it. I once got around this precisely that way, knew it would be weeks before I got a tag. Nice clean tight car cover pretty much gets you ignored.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #71 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 PM

Amazing.....simply amazing! The things people have allowed to be shoved down their throats!
supershifter2 likes this.
post #72 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350HR View Post
The ordinance states that vehicles in public view must be operable in case there is a fire and the fire dept needs to move them. I asked the arbitrator if she had EVER seen this happen at a house fire. She replied she couldn't think of a time when she had ever seen it happen , even on TV.
Case closed!
thats BS. A friends son is a firefighter and I just called him and asked him. He said the fire department doesnt move cars. They would have to get the keys from the owner and they dont do that and they dont break door glass or ignition locks. They will only have a vehicle moved IF it is blocking a fire hydrant and they will call the impound garage tow truck to do that. He said there priority is to get water on the fire asap and they can always pull hoses around and over vehicles. Btw I have seen many news reports of burned out houses and apartment buildings with vehicles still in the garage and driveway.
post #73 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:29 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygta View Post
Amazing.....simply amazing! The things people have allowed to be shoved down their throats!
thats because most people dont pay attention to laws being past and just give in and do not doing anything about their freedom being stolen away.
indygta and DrHawkeye like this.
post #74 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Foolish man. He should have put a car cover on it. I once got around this precisely that way, knew it would be weeks before I got a tag. Nice clean tight car cover pretty much gets you ignored.
foolish ? Why ? He just bought it. Oh so hes suppose to go run buy a cover somewhere on the weekend ? You are really stupid ! He found the car and went and bought it right away. He didnt know it was a violation and neither did I. Whats he suppose to do buy a car cover weeks in advance for a car he might not ever get ? WTF dude ! your an idiot 22gt and you dont have a fn clue ! get a brain you fool !

Last edited by supershifter2; 07-08-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #75 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I lived in Kern County, about 100 yards North of the LA county line in an unincorporated area. They had an ordinance that stated that any vehicle, including trailers could not be parked on the street for more than 7 consecutive days. So every Friday at about 6 AM I would move the trailer from the street to my drive way. And at about 7am a CHIP would roll down my street checking for expired tags and where my trailer was parked. I didn't keep it at home all the time. I also had a spot in a commercial RV lot where it would be parked when I wasn't using it.
The 72 hour street parking limit got overturned here in los angeles a few years ago. Not all apartment buildings especially older ones have a parking spot for every unit. It was a building code to try to force people to not have a car and to ride the bus. It is a major failure. A married couple lived in an apartment with street parking only. I have lived in a few of those. They went on a 1 week vacation and didnt know there was a 72 hour limit. I have met people that didnt know there was a 72 hour limit. When they came back on the airport shuttle they found their car gone. The cops told them it was impounded for the 72 hour violation. They sued the city of los angeles and won and the 72 hour ordinance was overturned. Now we can park on the street as long as we want to. So far there hasnt been any complaints from residences but the city gov isnt happy because they lost that fine revenue. At a recent neighborhood meeting out local councilman said the city is trying to find a way to legally tow registered vehicles that are parked in the same spot more then 72 hours. So far they havent found a legal way. Its all about getting money for the city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page