Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Vintage Mustang Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/)
-   -   Sacramento County: Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1160190-sacramento-county-illegal-work-your-own-car-your-own-garage.html)

DMO 07-05-2019 10:59 AM

Sacramento County: Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage

I wonder how this will pan out and if it will spread? Seems pretty restrictive...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartandhp

mikeyhunts 07-05-2019 11:13 AM

Reminds me not to live there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustang4SF 07-05-2019 11:20 AM

One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...

65stang3 07-05-2019 11:27 AM

They do that because of Fire danger and crappy neighbors that don't get it. Your not supposed to work on your cars here in San Francisco but it's not like they drive around looking, but if someone calls then they will come out. Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine.

DaleB 07-05-2019 11:31 AM

These laws and ordinances are enacted by elected representatives. Either the majority of people living in the county want things this way, or the officials can be replaced and the laws changed.

My money, by the way, is on the former. Most people, it seems, think anyone who doesn't just drive their late-model car (because nobody should own an old junker) down to the dealer (because independent repair shops are all sketchy) is going to turn the whole neighborhood into a slum with cars up on blocks in the front yard. They don't care one bit about you or your hobbies or the ever-growing encroachment of government into your life and property or your right to enjoy them both, as long as everything looks nice when they drive down the street. They won't care about anything at all until the county outlaws golf courses or Facebook.

:(

wicked93gs 07-05-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65stang3 (Post 10193382)
They do that because of Fire danger and crappy neighbors that don't get it. Your not supposed to work on your cars here in San Francisco but it's not like they drive around looking, but if someone calls then they will come out. Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine.

Crappy neighbors that dont get it? That's a very much subjective statement isn't it? Do you own your property or does the county own it? I understand the intent of people wanting to keep their property values high because they consider things the neighbors do to be eyesores...but in the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I find a couple of neighbors of mine with an excessive amount of flower beds to be an eyesore...but that is just me. I find neighbors shooting off fireworks for the 2 weeks surround the 4th of July to be obnoxious...but again, thats MY problem, not theirs. I am sure some neighbors of mine are annoyed because I go 2 weeks between mowing my lawn...but that is their problem, not mine. I OWN my property..they OWN theirs...neither should be able to have any say what happens on that property as long as it doesn't endanger others

Josep 07-05-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang4SF (Post 10193376)
One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...

I know what you are talking about. Same overload of regulations here too. Also the lack of law, justice, etc... letís go for a Tea Party.!

Josep

DrHawkeye 07-05-2019 12:09 PM

Glad I never lived in Sac County, or I woulda been breaking that law regularly. And my friends as well.

bmcgc 07-05-2019 12:10 PM

In my old neighborhood one of my crappy neighbors was running an auto repair business out of his house.

8-12 cars parked in the yard, tow trucks coming and going at all hours, air compressor running as late as 1-2am, piles of junk at the curb that the county wouldnt pick up.

Yeah, some people dont get it.

rbohm 07-05-2019 12:16 PM

most laws like the ones indicated are designed to prevent someone at a residence from operating a business in the residential area. the problem is when code enforcement officers go overboard in writing citations to innocent people just doing work on their own personal cars.

Edbert 07-05-2019 12:17 PM

So much for the California car culture.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DrHawkeye 07-05-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edbert (Post 10193442)
So much for the California car culture.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

California is getting a culture, but saying anymore will violate political standards.

MrFlash 07-05-2019 12:44 PM

It’s a stupid law. Hopefully it won’t pass.

Keep the garage door closed so no one can see what you’re doing.
Or do your work in the back yard.
And don’t keep the compressor running late at night.

I can distill all the liquor I want for my own personal use. As long as I don’t sell, distribute, or advertise what I’m doing in any way.
Yes, I know the law says otherwise but no one is going to come kicking in my door.

Mustang4SF 07-05-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgc (Post 10193436)
In my old neighborhood one of my crappy neighbors was running an auto repair business out of his house.

8-12 cars parked in the yard, tow trucks coming and going at all hours, air compressor running as late as 1-2am, piles of junk at the curb that the county wouldnt pick up.

Yeah, some people dont get it.

Running an air compressor during the night is something I would never do. Or having piles for junk at the curb. This is just bad behavior. But I also don't want to get limited by law to e.g. oil changes. People should be reasonable in their actions.

vegasloki 07-05-2019 01:05 PM

Guys it's Jalopnik. They live on controversy and getting you to click. Read what the law says and not what some headline says. It is not illegal to work on your car in Sacramento County.

Those sorts of restrictions are in many cities around the country not just California. The big one in Sacramento County seems to be painting a car in your garage or leaving it parked outside for more than a day. Here there are similar restrictions mostly to stop unlicensed auto repair and body shops. We had an unlicensed paint and body shop and another guy that ran a repair shop in the neighborhood. They both got shut down. When I was racing code enforcement was by a couple of times thinking that me and a couple of my neighbors were running a chop shop.

Some of you need to give the California hate a rest. I see it's fashionable here to pile on to a place you don't like basically because it's different, or at least you think it's different, than you. When I was touring for the better part of 30 years I got to work in every single state in the union and dozens of countries. People as a whole are not that different deep down. Give it a rest. There are plenty the Californians could say about places other people live but are being polite. Don't feel compelled to judge others about what it's like where they live or lest you be judged about where you live.