Sacramento County: Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage - Vintage Mustang Forums
 78Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
DMO

Sacramento County: Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage

I wonder how this will pan out and if it will spread? Seems pretty restrictive...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartandhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Reminds me not to live there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huskinhano, rbohm and 1forfords like this.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...
DrHawkeye likes this.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM

They do that because of Fire danger and crappy neighbors that don't get it. Your not supposed to work on your cars here in San Francisco but it's not like they drive around looking, but if someone calls then they will come out. Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
These laws and ordinances are enacted by elected representatives. Either the majority of people living in the county want things this way, or the officials can be replaced and the laws changed.

My money, by the way, is on the former. Most people, it seems, think anyone who doesn't just drive their late-model car (because nobody should own an old junker) down to the dealer (because independent repair shops are all sketchy) is going to turn the whole neighborhood into a slum with cars up on blocks in the front yard. They don't care one bit about you or your hobbies or the ever-growing encroachment of government into your life and property or your right to enjoy them both, as long as everything looks nice when they drive down the street. They won't care about anything at all until the county outlaws golf courses or Facebook.

Ironstang likes this.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang3 View Post
They do that because of Fire danger and crappy neighbors that don't get it. Your not supposed to work on your cars here in San Francisco but it's not like they drive around looking, but if someone calls then they will come out. Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine.
Crappy neighbors that dont get it? That's a very much subjective statement isn't it? Do you own your property or does the county own it? I understand the intent of people wanting to keep their property values high because they consider things the neighbors do to be eyesores...but in the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I find a couple of neighbors of mine with an excessive amount of flower beds to be an eyesore...but that is just me. I find neighbors shooting off fireworks for the 2 weeks surround the 4th of July to be obnoxious...but again, thats MY problem, not theirs. I am sure some neighbors of mine are annoyed because I go 2 weeks between mowing my lawn...but that is their problem, not mine. I OWN my property..they OWN theirs...neither should be able to have any say what happens on that property as long as it doesn't endanger others
Joe and Gecko like this.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang4SF View Post
One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...
I know what you are talking about. Same overload of regulations here too. Also the lack of law, justice, etc... letís go for a Tea Party.!

Josep
Joe and Mustang4SF like this.

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:09 PM

Garage
Glad I never lived in Sac County, or I woulda been breaking that law regularly. And my friends as well.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 PM

In my old neighborhood one of my crappy neighbors was running an auto repair business out of his house.

8-12 cars parked in the yard, tow trucks coming and going at all hours, air compressor running as late as 1-2am, piles of junk at the curb that the county wouldnt pick up.

Yeah, some people dont get it.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:16 PM

most laws like the ones indicated are designed to prevent someone at a residence from operating a business in the residential area. the problem is when code enforcement officers go overboard in writing citations to innocent people just doing work on their own personal cars.
FrankieThe69Kid likes this.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:17 PM

So much for the California car culture.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Edbert
1967 Convertible (GTA/GT350 mashup owned since 1988)
http://sylvia1967blog.wordpress.com
2018 Raptor SCAB 802a
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
So much for the California car culture.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
California is getting a culture, but saying anymore will violate political standards.
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:44 PM

It’s a stupid law. Hopefully it won’t pass.

Keep the garage door closed so no one can see what you’re doing.
Or do your work in the back yard.
And don’t keep the compressor running late at night.

I can distill all the liquor I want for my own personal use. As long as I don’t sell, distribute, or advertise what I’m doing in any way.
Yes, I know the law says otherwise but no one is going to come kicking in my door.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
In my old neighborhood one of my crappy neighbors was running an auto repair business out of his house.

8-12 cars parked in the yard, tow trucks coming and going at all hours, air compressor running as late as 1-2am, piles of junk at the curb that the county wouldnt pick up.

Yeah, some people dont get it.

Running an air compressor during the night is something I would never do. Or having piles for junk at the curb. This is just bad behavior. But I also don't want to get limited by law to e.g. oil changes. People should be reasonable in their actions.
FrankieThe69Kid and vegasloki like this.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Guys it's Jalopnik. They live on controversy and getting you to click. Read what the law says and not what some headline says. It is not illegal to work on your car in Sacramento County.

Those sorts of restrictions are in many cities around the country not just California. The big one in Sacramento County seems to be painting a car in your garage or leaving it parked outside for more than a day. Here there are similar restrictions mostly to stop unlicensed auto repair and body shops. We had an unlicensed paint and body shop and another guy that ran a repair shop in the neighborhood. They both got shut down. When I was racing code enforcement was by a couple of times thinking that me and a couple of my neighbors were running a chop shop.

Some of you need to give the California hate a rest. I see it's fashionable here to pile on to a place you don't like basically because it's different, or at least you think it's different, than you. When I was touring for the better part of 30 years I got to work in every single state in the union and dozens of countries. People as a whole are not that different deep down. Give it a rest. There are plenty the Californians could say about places other people live but are being polite. Don't feel compelled to judge others about what it's like where they live or lest you be judged about where you live.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page