Install Roof Rail Weatherstrip - Am I an idiot or what? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Mine (66 coupe) are Daniel Carpenter and measure 71.5"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
I am not sure if this had already been suggested, but you might try setting them out in the sun for a couple hours prior to installing. 3 may be too much, but you might be able to gain it...just a thought if all other avenues fail.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Mine (66 coupe) are Daniel Carpenter and measure 71.5"
Are they now. And that's for a 66, almost exactly my 68 roofrail measurement, so maybe I do have fastback WS. Guess it's time to add WS to the shopping list.

And have to laugh, Knapper, I'm in SC, and it's July, and I know what the inside of my garage feels like, and if they ain't stretched out to their limit yet they ain't never gonna be. Thanks for the suggestion, though, maybe I'll plop them in the sun on the driveway and see what happens.

Still haven't gotten an answer to my original question though - how do I get the WS properly positioned before the WS adhesive locks it down? This is the real problem.....

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Double post, sorry can't delete
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, seen that, Caper50. I like the way they gloss over applying the adhesive - 'Put the new seal in by pushing it into the inside edge of the track and tucking the outside edge into the track. Apply 3M weatherstrip adhesive as you go.' I dunno, I've seen several references to contact cement and the 0 second working time, how once it grabs that's where it stays. But there's not much concern in a post like this. Put the WS in place before the adhesive tacks up? Am I overthinking this?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:46 PM

I used 3m contact cement and you do have a couple of seconds to reposition the w/s if you need to. I poured some contact cement in an empty small container and used a tiny chip brush from harbor freight to spread the cement onto the w/s part that goes in the stainless retainer. Wes
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Garage
5. Starting at the rear and working forward. Put the new seal in by pushing it into the inside edge of the track and tucking the outside edge into the track. Apply 3M weatherstrip adhesive as you go.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:42 PM

I use 3m adhesive and do a zig zag squirt along the metal channel for 10 to 12 inches. Then run a bead of 3m on the back of the seal and smooth it out with the side of tube tip then install the rubber trim, I put the flange on the thicker side in first then tuck in the thinner edges. Then I use my fingers to work it into place. I never have had trouble repositioning it. It's not as sticky as contact adhesive so can be pulled apart. I dont wait for it to dry before installing though so that may be the reason

As I get about 2/3rds around I start checking length against the channel to make sure I have not inadvertently stretched or compressed it along its length

Cheers Peter

1965-1968 Mustangs imported, prepared and sold in the U.K. and throughout a Europe
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:43 PM

To clarify. I do small lengths at a time so I dont have sealant getting everywhere. Apply adhesive to an area, install and move to next section

1965-1968 Mustangs imported, prepared and sold in the U.K. and throughout a Europe
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts, Peter. That sounds like a workable plan. Should order some parts this week, including new WS, so I'll post my results once I'm done.

Thanks, all, for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page