Install Roof Rail Weatherstrip - Am I an idiot or what? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Install Roof Rail Weatherstrip - Am I an idiot or what?

Don't ask my wife.

Trying to complete what's going on a 20 year project, the proverbial back-burner, a '68 coupe. Retirement is looming, so I like to surprise all my friends who swear it'll never get done by driving it out to my retirement party (no alcohol that night, but priorities have to be set). So the push is on.

Two part question:
1) Installing roof rail weatherstrip (WS) (Repops). However, installing dry to check fit shows it's a little short - 3" or so. Seems like a lot. If I screw the front in and place the rear where it needs to go, there's too much tension to get it into the channel - just pulls out when I try to stretch it. I would expect it to be taut but I expected a more relaxed fit. So question 1 - is it supposed to be that short and fit that tight? I realize some adhesive is required, which brings me to question #2....

2a) I see from the build manual I'm supposed to use adhesive at 4 places - the first and last 3", and 6" at each curve (A pillar and C pillar). The adhesives called out in the manual (ESB-M2G104-A or ESB-M2G150-A) don't seem to exist any more, and I didn't get any hits on them here at VMF or even through Google (and I thought they knew everything), so I bought 3M WS adhesive. I could cement the front first, since the screw leaves little doubt about positioning, cement the rear next, since positioning here is also pretty straightforward, and then try to get the pillar locations one at a time. Since they'll be taking up all the tension positioning will be critical to make sure the tension is evenly distributed, and the adhesive will have to grab pretty quick.

2b) However, the 3M is a contact cement (seems all the WS adhesives are), which means as soon as it touches itself I'm DONE - my positioning window is over (and as much as I rely on the online tutorials, watching a guy glue WS onto aluminum blocks doesn't help here). So, the Big Question - how do you get the WS into the channel and correctly positioned before the contact cement locks it down? I have seen some other adhesives suggestions (Indian Head gasket, for example), but given the WS tension I think they'd pull away before they set. Guess I could stand there and maintain pressure....

Another thought I had was to place just a thin strip of adhesive in the center of the channel and WS, try to get the WS positioned in the channel (car side), roll it onto the adhesive, then futz with the outside channel.

Been beating my head on this one fro a while. Anyone have any wisdom to impart here?

Thanks, folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0163 R.JPG (38.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0164 R.JPG (33.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0165 R.JPG (48.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0166 R.JPG (39.0 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
I found this, makes your WS look short.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-...uctions/a/317/

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:38 PM

I wonder if your weatherstrip is actually for 65-66? I don't really know, just guessing. I seriously doubt the install requires stretching it to make it fit. As far as adhesives, I would have figured just using 3M weather strip adhesive, available at just about any local jobber. Usually comes in black or yellow, personally I've always liked the black stuff.

On another note I hear ya on family and friends giving you a hard time on never getting it finished. I hear it every now and again as well. I usually hear, "You finish that car yet? I'll be dead before you finish that!" As to which now I reply, "I'll gladly add your name to the list!" I actually thought about making the list on a piece of cardboard and hanging it on my garage wall.

I wish you all the best on finishing your car and also on your retirement. Cheers

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:48 PM

The car sure looks good from what I can see...good luck getting the car finished and on time!

"Little" issues like that will drive one crazy.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

69GT350 and Caper50 - Yeah, it does look short and that might be why (65-66). The Repops box says 67-68, but I guess mistakes can happen. Would've though that light bulb might've gone off in my head... I'll see if I can run down the 65/66 and 67/68 WS lengths online, check against my set. You're right, Turnall, It's the little issues, the things I think should be easy, that drive me nuts. As I saw on someone's avatar, 'What's a bolt-on?' Now that's funny.

Thanks for the positive comments, y'all, and thanks Caper50, for the laugh. Even my wife liked it, she's suggesting a plaque with everyone's name on it as a memento.

Lastly, anyone have any install tips?

Thanks for the input, folks.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:13 PM

When i did a 66 coupe a few weeks ago it was a little long maybe because I started at one end and was pulling on it as I went. Kinda makes me wonder if yours was mis-packaged and you got fastback instead. Wes
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Did check the left against the right, and both were the same length. Does kinda lean towards just an incorrect set. And since you did a coupe a few weeks ago, can you offer any install tips? Does my proposed process hold water (nod to Cousin Vinny)?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Hmmmmmm, where's the chrome drip rail that the weatherstrip goes into?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Just rechecked the Repops package, and it is identified as a 68 coupe, both by Repops and NPD. The WS measures about 68" (rubber only), about 68-3/4" if I measure to the hole in the front mounting tab. The channel measures about 72" (front screw hole to where the rubber should end), so there's at least a 3" difference in length. Haven't been able to find WS lengths online yet, guess I'll just have to order another set and see what I get.

If anyone out there is doing a 65/66 or 67/68 coupe build and has uninstalled roof rail WS handy, would appreciate it if you would measure the length and post it here. Be a good reference.

Thanks.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geicoman58 View Post
Hmmmmmm, where's the chrome drip rail that the weatherstrip goes into?
I have a drip rail that I haven't installed yet, but don't (didn't) think it affects WS install. Here's what I've been working to from the Osborn Body manual, all it shows is the stainless channel (part 1 in the drawing, in yellow) and the WS itself (part 2). And I don't have anything left in the trim pile that looks like it would have to be installed as part of the WS. Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0168 R.JPG (21.3 KB, 12 views)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:13 PM

I would go ahead and install the chrome channel trim. I used a continuous piece of black 3m double sided mlding tape for the material "c" in that illustration,under the trim, then you can dry fit the weatherstrip for a better idea of how its going to turn out. You can stretch it a little during installation. The car is going to be fantastic when you get it done. Mine was off the road for 30 years and I heard all the friends and family comments about never finishing it. Even after the painting was done it took 3 more years to put it back together and get it on the road..maybe 2017? Time flys and none of us are getting any younger!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 AM

Garage
When I installed mine in my 67 coupe, I originally thought I would get away without using adhesive. It sits in the channel pretty well. You can go back later and pull parts out and apply adhesive without pulling the whole thing at once and moving it around. Check out my blog if interested. https://bapony.com/2017/03/19/instal...atherstriping/ I also agree that you look like you have too short of a WS.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback52 View Post
If anyone out there is doing a 65/66 or 67/68 coupe build and has uninstalled roof rail WS handy, would appreciate it if you would measure the length and post it here. Be a good reference.
Thanks.
I'll check my stash of parts to see if I have a set to provide a measurement.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
When I installed mine in my 67 coupe, I originally thought I would get away without using adhesive. It sits in the channel pretty well. You can go back later and pull parts out and apply adhesive without pulling the whole thing at once and moving it around. Check out my blog if interested. https://bapony.com/2017/03/19/instal...atherstriping/ I also agree that you look like you have too short of a WS.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well, until the WS came up short in the middle of the C pillar. And I will take a look at the blog, not only for this, but for the road still ahead.

And Caper50, appreciate it.

For those of you offering + vibes, here's where we are. Thanks for the supportive comments. I'm also rebuilding a basement bathroom for my sister-in-law, and plan to retire by the end of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0173 R.JPG (59.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0174 R.JPG (61.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0175 R.JPG (61.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0176 R.JPG (52.3 KB, 7 views)
Caper50, Trikk and FTWingRiders like this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geicoman58 View Post
I would go ahead and install the chrome channel trim. I used a continuous piece of black 3m double sided mlding tape for the material "c" in that illustration,under the trim, then you can dry fit the weatherstrip for a better idea of how its going to turn out. You can stretch it a little during installation. The car is going to be fantastic when you get it done. Mine was off the road for 30 years and I heard all the friends and family comments about never finishing it. Even after the painting was done it took 3 more years to put it back together and get it on the road..maybe 2017? Time flys and none of us are getting any younger!
Sorry geicoman, forgot you. Already have the tape installed, and the roof rail trim isn't tweaked / polished yet, so isn't ready to be installed. Figured that was jewelry that could wait, but I'll check, make sure it doesn't have to go on first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page