Broken water pump bolt - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Do tell
Turnall likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Used the flux core welder. Couldn’t get the nut to stay attached so I just kept building up the weld until I could grab it with a pair of channel locks! You guys helped me a lot otherwise I probably would’ve broke an EZ-Out off in there.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

As a side note can someone tell me how to reply where it shows the individual’s comment that I am replying to?

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG1966 View Post
As a side note can someone tell me how to reply where it shows the individualís comment that I am replying to?
Press "quote" in the lower right of the post you want to reply to.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
As a side note can someone tell me how to reply where it shows the individual’s comment that I am replying to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie93 View Post
And just so you will know, hit multi-quote on each that you want to answer and then hit quote (as well as multi-quote) on the LAST one you choose (be sure to hit multi-quote first on the last one).

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Victory! Too late for this adventure but it's worth noting that when you weld on a fastener like that it's also like the perfect way to apply helpful heat to it that helps break it loose too. I know a couple of people who hardly bother with other methods of bolt extraction, they just go straight for the MIG welder. Particularly when it's exhaust bolts/studs broken off in cylinder heads.

Nobody really LIKES flux core welders but with practice they are as viable as any lower priced MIG. Just the welds are less attractive and there is more cleanup. My small shop welder for 20 years was flux only. Within its limitations it's always worked just fine. And if you are outdoors trying to weld something on a very windy day flux is the way to go anyway. The welding skills you learn using flux core will transfer if you decide to upgrade to a gas rig later.
vegasloki likes this.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie93 View Post
Quote:
Thanks Sparkie
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Victory! Too late for this adventure but it's worth noting that when you weld on a fastener like that it's also like the perfect way to apply helpful heat to it that helps break it loose too. I know a couple of people who hardly bother with other methods of bolt extraction, they just go straight for the MIG welder. Particularly when it's exhaust bolts/studs broken off in cylinder heads.

Nobody really LIKES flux core welders but with practice they are as viable as any lower priced MIG. Just the welds are less attractive and there is more cleanup. My small shop welder for 20 years was flux only. Within its limitations it's always worked just fine. And if you are outdoors trying to weld something on a very windy day flux is the way to go anyway. The welding skills you learn using flux core will transfer if you decide to upgrade to a gas rig later.
Thanks Gypsy, I intend on upgrading at some point so that’s good to know. 😊
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:32 PM

Nice!!
And, just to throw an idea out there for re-installing the pump: mine is currently installed with stainless steel bolts and anti-seize (no RTV on the bolts). Been that way since Feb. 2016 when I "finished" the car. No leaks, no puddles... and if I want to remove the water pump, no bolts rusted in the block. It's a beautiful thing.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:06 AM

In 197x.... err back in the day when you were learning to weld in a formal setting they made you start with oxyfuel welding. Then stick then if you were really good and lucky at the time you could move to the fancy new Heli-Arc machine. Only a few made that. I wasn't one.

I was getting a bottle of argon a few weeks back and was looking at torch rigs and the counter guys said they're selling more of other fuel gases than acetylene. Apparently acetylene is stupid expensive these days. Had no idea. They were pushing propylene as the fuel gas. Cheaper, lasts longer, burns hotter they say.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
I Apparently acetylene is stupid expensive these days. Had no idea. They were pushing propylene as the fuel gas. Cheaper, lasts longer, burns hotter they say.

Yea my oxy accetylene bottles sit empty these daze. I get by with Map Gas and Mig...

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post

I was getting a bottle of argon a few weeks back and was looking at torch rigs and the counter guys said they're selling more of other fuel gases than acetylene. Apparently acetylene is stupid expensive these days. Had no idea. They were pushing propylene as the fuel gas. Cheaper, lasts longer, burns hotter they say.

Thereís a guy on YouTube I follow, Invincible Extreme Muscle Machines. Heís a smart guy but makes Roadkill look like a high end shop. Heís got some real crazy and sketchy adventures that are great. Heís in the military or was. At one point in Hawaii. He was talking about not only how expensive acetylene is but how expensive it is in Hawaii because it has to be shipped. So he bought a plasma cutter and how much cheaper it is.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
.....and a Plasma cutter is so much easier and precise. I purchased mine from Robert's Oxygen's professional shop at a time they were changing out their older units for new ones. Heck, their "older" units are still pretty darn good. It uses 50 PSI (air) and 110V. It'll cut up any metal on our old rigs. Yeah, we got off topic.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:34 PM

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 hand plasma that's modded and can be fitted to a table as well. I've had it almost 10 years. I haven't used a flame hammer in at least 6-7 years or so and that one wasn't mine. I was interested in a rosebud torch for heating and forming. By the time I got the gas and torch outfit it was at least $400 all the way up to a grand. I passed.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Yeah, we got off topic.
But thatís what we do well at here on the VMF

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page