Priming motor before first fire - Strange result I think - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Priming motor before first fire - Strange result I think

Started priming using a priming tool and a heavy duty right angle drill. Started very slow with both valve cover off. Got oil to #7 intake in about 30 seconds, a lot of oil. Had to pause to let it drain. Tried again and now got some at a couple other rockers, but not nearly as much. Realized doing this without valve covers is not going to work. Took my original steel valve covers and slotted them, installed them and tried again. Still a lot of oil at #7I but getting oil at all of the rockers now but more of a drip, drip and the least amount oil at #1 and #5. As I was rotating the motor in 90 degree increments (for 2 full rotations) all of a sudden oil comes out of #7I and hits the wall 3 feet away. Inserted a shield of sorts and kept at it (you can see it in the pic). Every 90 degrees oil still shooting out of #7I and just moderate amount at all other rockers. I feel good about this, but curious as to why #7I like that?

By the way, oil pressure was 50-60 PSI on a physical gauge and I don't know RPM but I am guessing 400-500 RPM. Made pressure very fast and even at lower RPM.

This is a '68 302 block with Alum heads and a stock but new oil pump.

Oil well.JPG

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
Something is not working right in there.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
Something is not working right in there.
I'll agree, something is amiss.

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:14 PM

Garage
Yeah, me too "something is amiss". Oil should pump up and dribble across the rockers after a bit of priming. What is the build history?

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Maryland
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:27 PM

Garage
are you spinning counter clockwise ?

Brad
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Yeah, me too "something is amiss". Oil should pump up and dribble across the rockers after a bit of priming. What is the build history?
All new parts except the block which was bored .040 and a bunch of other machine work. Comp cams lifters, push rods, roller tip rockers and camshaft. Edelbrock E-street 5023 heads. Assembled by me after days of research and fretting every detail.

I am wondering if I may have a defective lifter in #7I. Ironic as the first set I had which I returned due to some rust pits I had taken apart all 16. This new set I did not take apart before install.
wichol98 likes this.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
are you spinning counter clockwise ?
Yes I am.
2nd 66 likes this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Correction. It is #7 Exhaust valve but I don't think that makes any difference (I always forget the 5-8 side reverse for I and E). I also just ran another couple cycles on the crank (not priming) and that #7 valve does open and close as it should or at least as all the others do. So a bad lifter seems less likely.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Well, after thinking long and hard about possible failure modes, the only thing possible is a bad lifter as I am getting oil to other lifters so cant be plugged valley.

45 minutes later after tearing down I have #7E lifter in hand and get it apart. Weird as it is very different from the ones I just returned which are same part number (design change it looks like). Pulled #7I lifter to compare and it is the same as 7E design (and was working fine). The black metering disc is solid and I notice that the one from the suspect lifter is BENT! Confirmed the other was straight. This explains why oil was gushing as there is no metering on #7E. Th black plate has engineered flow paths to control oil flow to the push rod. The installs right under the top cap which feeds the push rod

So no cam break in Sunday which is a bummer as I am totally ready. I am very concerned about all my Comp Cam parts and may get a different brand of lifter. I rotated the motor manually probably 20-30 revolutions during various static checks but I would not think that would be an issue going to a new lifter as the cam has not been broken in yet.

I am so glad I primed with valve covers off.

New Lifter.JPG

Lifter Bent plate.JPG

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:09 AM

Garage
I would look at that #7 lifter. It sort of sounds like it is not bleeding or leaking down properly on each stroke and then at some point the pressure all lets go at once like the lifter is collapsing. Frankly, I'm not sure how you can test a hydraulic lifter. If you take it apart you may see something obvious like some blockage inside or one of the springs is broken or something. With most all of the oil drained out you may find that something is sticking inside the lifter like the plunger piston or I don't know.

Ok never mind, LOL. I didn't see your last post.
Tallguy likes this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 AM

My hat is off for your diligence, to many would have thrown the covers on and run the motor! Not a good story for Comp...
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
My hat is off for your diligence, to many would have thrown the covers on and run the motor! Not a good story for Comp...
Thanks. With the oil pressure I am making, the motor might have run fine but who knows. It may have eaten the cam on break in starving other areas. Crap shot for sure.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
Thanks. With the oil pressure I am making, the motor might have run fine but who knows. It may have eaten the cam on break in starving other areas. Crap shot for sure.

Engine oiling is basically one large controlled leak, in the right areas. What you found is definitely no bueno.

This is a great lesson for those that say why check? Just throw it together...
Tallguy and vegasloki like this.

1969 Mach-1 Mustang
460 / C6 / 9"
Back in Dixie DSO 22 (Charlotte)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Garage
My guess is that there is some blockage somewhere internally, perhaps a small piece of dirt or machining debris. I recall priming a rebuilt 289 and one of the rocker oiling holes remained dry. A pick in the hole harvested some crud. Problem solved. Hope your solution is as easy.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
My guess is that there is some blockage somewhere internally, perhaps a small piece of dirt or machining debris. I recall priming a rebuilt 289 and one of the rocker oiling holes remained dry. A pick in the hole harvested some crud. Problem solved. Hope your solution is as easy.
Thanks for the suggestion. See post 9. I found a defective lifter with a bent orifice plate that allows oil to free flow essentially at that lifter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page