Anybody Ever Open Up A Voltage Regulator? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 22Likes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Forget that above....You're wasting money......You don't need to buy the whole "Original Type VR"...

From NPD, You can just buy the "Original OEM Covers" by themselves... and them add them to the Newer "Solid State" '80's-'90's type Motorcraft VR by removing the cover..

See here....

https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...t=200001&year=

)

Tony K.
vegasloki likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:15 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Forget that above....You're wasting money......You don't need to buy the whole "Original Type VR"...

From NPD, You can just buy the "Original OEM Covers" by themselves... and them add them to the Newer "Solid State" '80's-'90's type Motorcraft VR by removing the cover..

See here....

https://www.npdlink.com/search/produ...t=200001&year=

)

Tony K.
What am I missing? It’s $47.95 for the OEM-appearing, with modern electronics, VR that I posted but you’re suggesting that’s too expensive. Your solution is to buy a Motorcraft VR for $30.79 and buy a tall cover for $18, which totals $48.79?

I suppose just getting the cover is cheaper if I already had the electronic VR and the proper rivets to install the new cover.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! My "assumption" was made after reading response after response in this thread from people absolutely rejecting any adherence to the old design of their cars. Looking only for the cheap way, the easy way, the way they don't have to appreciate what it took to design and maintain these cars back where they came from. So it really wasn't, as I called it, a "guess", but an observationally supported hypothesis. And while I rant, I would like to say that I was surprised to see the open and shameless shilling for commercial products by so many of the frequent posters on here. I would rather be regularly flamed than have to wonder whether the advice I seek is tainted by somebody's greed.

1st Car - 1966 Convertible 200 C4 Silver Frost / Red I've been riding in it for 50 years, driving it for 46. My parents owed me 200 bucks they stole from my paper route money but gave me the car instead.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Magnus, once again you are a font of wisdom, but I already found a schematic that hinted at those details. Turns out that's just a tach or gauge / idiot light drive. Which opens another question for me. How do the accessories get their power? I doesn't matter much for my current quest, but I'm trying to get this circuit in my head so I don't have to stop and refer to schematics much. So if the accessory wire off the ignition switch only goes to the regulator, and only powers up the field coil, what makes your radio work? There must be something else going on. For years I designed, and then built the prototypes for large, complicated, high-end computer controlled medical research laboratory equipment. I can analyze, and hack, the hell out of a circuit if I have the information I need.

1st Car - 1966 Convertible 200 C4 Silver Frost / Red I've been riding in it for 50 years, driving it for 46. My parents owed me 200 bucks they stole from my paper route money but gave me the car instead.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOldGrayMare View Post
How do the accessories get their power? I doesn't matter much for my current quest, but I'm trying to get this circuit in my head so I don't have to stop and refer to schematics much.

You asked specifically how the radio works- it is in the left middle of the page. Personally I think the windshield wiper below that is the most interesting circuit in the car.

Original Owner 69 Mach1

Last edited by Mach1 Driver; 07-11-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
".........And while I rant, I would like to say that I was surprised to see the open and shameless shilling for commercial products by so many of the frequent posters on here. I would rather be regularly flamed than have to wonder whether the advice I seek is tainted by somebody's greed.
OK, I'll bite.

Tainted by greed ? That's a pretty wild denunciation.

Can you substantiate that accusation ? Or provide any evidence that a single person on the VFM has received any product or monetary renumeration as a result of the so called "...shameless shilling..." ? ? ?

Many posters here routinely inquire what products, like oil, or aftermarket suspension upgrades, can be either endorsed, or conversely be given a "thumbs down" rating. Everyone has a product that's been working well for themselves, and are happy to share that experience. I don't call that shilling. Maybe I'm just naive.

best of luck to you,

Z
vegasloki likes this.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! My "assumption" was made after reading response after response in this thread from people absolutely rejecting any adherence to the old design of their cars. Looking only for the cheap way, the easy way, the way they don't have to appreciate what it took to design and maintain these cars back where they came from. So it really wasn't, as I called it, a "guess", but an observationally supported hypothesis. And while I rant, I would like to say that I was surprised to see the open and shameless shilling for commercial products by so many of the frequent posters on here. I would rather be regularly flamed than have to wonder whether the advice I seek is tainted by somebody's greed.
While I'll agree that you never asked for product advice, it is common to see recommendations that "upgrade" OEM VRs with modern electronic versions in order to reduce the variability of your vehicle's electrical system. However, I fail to see how recommending a modern upgrade, which does nothing to visually or otherwise degrade the experience of owning a classic car, can be viewed as offering tainted advice, especially considering most posters probably don't own the manufacturing or retail company offering the product and therefore have zero financial incentive behind their recommendation. I'll make the assumption that you're probably not running bias ply tires on your classic in order to appreciate the period's tire technology but have upgraded to radials, which is an improvement for safety/reliability in the same vain as upgrading your VR or replacing your points.

Further, if the wisdom you seek is the kind of diagrams and schematics that others have graciously shared with you, then you might consider this next recommendation. However, it comes with a catch, you must purchase another shameless commercial product.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/shop.../138039/124019

Good luck with your quest.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!

Last edited by Brent; 07-11-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page