Wire loom - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Wire loom

Starting to think about the wiring process and was wondering what type of loom is best and affordable. I prefer not to use the convoluted split plastic stuff. I'm using the AAW harness.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Well, you could always use wiring harness tape, as Ford did. It's not electrical tape, as it has no glue to seep out.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:06 PM

I used WireCare's F6 woven wire loom. Its easy to use and looks nice. Its tough as nails and pretty easy to use. I also have AAW and wrapped all of it. I think I used 3 different sizes. U can cut it with a hot knife (use a torch to heat a razor blade and one swipe and its done) I just bought more for any future wiring projects because I liked it so much. 1/8 is for single wires, 3/16 is for about 2 or three if they are small, the main harness I think I used 5/8. You can also use a small piece of shrink wrap at the end of the loom and onto your wire connector for an absolutely beautiful result. I would definetly recommend
Boss5Oh likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
I used WireCare's F6 woven wire loom. Its easy to use and looks nice. Its tough as nails and pretty easy to use. I also have AAW and wrapped all of it. I think I used 3 different sizes. U can cut it with a hot knife (use a torch to heat a razor blade and one swipe and its done) I just bought more for any future wiring projects because I liked it so much. 1/8 is for single wires, 3/16 is for about 2 or three if they are small, the main harness I think I used 5/8. You can also use a small piece of shrink wrap at the end of the loom and onto your wire connector for an absolutely beautiful result. I would definetly recommend

Any pics?

1966 Coupe "The Blue Falcon"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Not with me. I can try to shoot a pic of the loom but IDK if it will show up well- probably the loom itself would show- I will try to get pics tonight- Their website has pics of the material (oh i used black btw but they have a bunch of colors and patterns)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Dimples

Garage
I'm a big fan of Painless Powerbraid. It's definitely not the cheapest thing in the world, but man, it's fantastic. Simple to use, looks like new after 10 years so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Painless-Wiri.../dp/B001AVXRF8

The anvil of reality.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I used WireCare's F6 woven wire loom. Its easy to use and looks nice. Its tough as nails and pretty easy to use. I also have AAW and wrapped all of it. I think I used 3 different sizes. U can cut it with a hot knife (use a torch to heat a razor blade and one swipe and its done) I just bought more for any future wiring projects because I liked it so much. 1/8 is for single wires, 3/16 is for about 2 or three if they are small, the main harness I think I used 5/8. You can also use a small piece of shrink wrap at the end of the loom and onto your wire connector for an absolutely beautiful result. I would definitely recommend
Do you recall about how much of each length you bought?

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:57 PM

That painless powerbraid looks very close if not the same as the tech flex. So maybe go by price?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:59 PM

about 20 feet of the 5/8- then about 50 of 3/16 and 1/8 (but I covered everything- even all the way to the horns, under dash- everything was covered. I think I am gonna be a little short on the 1/8 so thats why I ordered more (I got 50 more feet so I could use for ATV/Trailer wiring etc)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
about 20 feet of the 5/8- then about 50 of 3/16 and 1/8 (but I covered everything- even all the way to the horns, under dash- everything was covered. I think I am gonna be a little short on the 1/8 so thats why I ordered more (I got 50 more feet so I could use for ATV/Trailer wiring etc)
+1 I have the AAW harness from front to rear and covered everything with just about the same amounts with a little left over.

Life's mostly scars and souveniers...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM

I used Techflex F6 which I think is what you said you do not want to use. The trick I learned mid way is to cut it with a hot knife or in my case I heated a 1.5" scraper blade with a torch red hot. This seals the ends so it does not fray. I also used various round tools/pipes to burn holes for junctions. I love the way it came out. I also used cloth harness tape as underwrap at the "Y's".

I used 1", 3/4", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" for various areas to do under dash, engine bay and trunk area. I had a lot of custom wiring and used a lot of this stuff. I dismissed the 1/8" at first as being too small, but it is fantastic to wrap a single wire or a couple smaller wires

Edit: Here is what I used. Have some left, but could have used more 1/2" and I am totally out of 1/4". If I had it to do over I would have used a lot more 1/8" under the dash so would have bought 50'
1/8" 25
1/4" 50
3/8" 50
1/2" 10
3/4" 20
1" 10

wiring 2.JPG

wiring 1.JPG

wiring.jpg

Wiring holes.JPG
65coupei6_2 and DonP like this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works

Last edited by Tallguy; 07-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM

I think OP said he didn't want the "walmart" kind (the funkyhard plastic ribbed) kind that never closes right and wires fall out and looks like a 5 y/o wired it up)- or that was my interp- so if this led us down the wrong road- my bad
Tallguy likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 PM

I also used TechFlex with my AAW harness. Easy to use and looks great. I bought some 1” and didn’t use any of it. Mostly used 3/4”, 3/8”, 1/4” and 1/8”.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 PM

I also used F6 purchased from Amazon. They had the best deal.

Also, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They fit perfect in the existing holes.

Lastly, I finished the F6 ends with this Tesa Tape. It makes it look cleaner. https://www.amazon.com/Tesas-Advance...ateway&sr=8-10

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
That painless powerbraid looks very close if not the same as the tech flex. So maybe go by price?
I see no problem with that. I had a hookup on the Powerbraid. Full retail is a little nutty.

The anvil of reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page