Help needed; hipo manifold install - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By patrickstapler
  • 1 Post By Tallguy
  • 1 Post By Tallguy
  • 2 Post By zray

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Help needed; hipo manifold install

Bought new Flo Tek aluminum heads for the 5.0 in our 65 convert. Drivers side hipo exhaust manifold bolted up with ease but I can't get the passenger side to line up after repeated attempts.

I can get the short & long bolts started at one (either the front most or 2nd from front) exhaust port but then it seems like the remaining holes in the manifold do not line up just right with the holes in the head. Looks like the manifold needs to move toward the back of the engine a tiny bit in order for the holes to line up. I had these manifolds on a set of GT40 heads so I've used them for years.

Whats making this hard is the rear of the exhaust manifold is engaging the H pipe opening so when I'm trying to position the manifold I'm having to lift the whole H pipe/exhaust system with it.

Thinking of unbolting the passenger side exhaust from its hangers to see if pulling it toward the rear will allow the room to position & install the manifold ? Never had to do that before but I'm at a loss of what else may remedy this so any suggestions are much appreciated...had to walk away yesterday, thoughts of picking up a baseball bat instead of the wrench were becoming very tempting.

Thanks in advance.

65 A code Silverblue convert T5 & 5.0 swap
64 Indy Pace Cars 5F07F113217 & 114176 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
If you measure the flange hole diameters on the manifolds, I think you will find they are very close to the bolt diameter. You need to open the holes roughly 1/32Ē over what you measure them to be. This will permit misalignment/manufacturing tolerances between the heads and the manifolds.

I would suggest gasket matching the manifolds, but donít install the gaskets as they are not needed.
zray, aaron29, Caper50 and 1 others like this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Just a couple things as I just installed Hi-Po manifolds as well on my '68 302. They fit perfectly on my Edlebrock 5023 E-street heads with no mods needed to bolt holes. Some said you may have to die grind some to clear spark plugs, but my spark plugs fit with no modifications. I also advise to port match to the proper gasket as the manifold ports are quite small. It really does not take that much time and it grinds like butter. I was advised that if you go iron to iron head to manifold you need no gasket but iron to aluminum you need a gasket. I am installing a Fel-Pro SFL1415 gaskets with mine, but maybe not needed.
aaron29 likes this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Thatís a good point with the aluminum heads relative to gaskets. Iíd try them without first, but you might end up needing them due to the different thermal coefficients.

Regards,
Patrick
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:27 PM

please give an opinion on the heads after you've had some time with them. I know one guy who used them and they made a pretty nice difference on his car. i'm tempted to buy a set for myself.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
please give an opinion on the heads after you've had some time with them. I know one guy who used them and they made a pretty nice difference on his car. i'm tempted to buy a set for myself.
I sure will. I'm eager to get it running with the limited driving season here in MI. Just have to install the carb & PS pump after getting this manifold figured out...of course I did not take pics of how the PS brackets were set up - thought I'd remember- ya right. Its a pump from a 69 so it was a bit of a custom install which I didn't do. That may be a question for another post in the near future.

I appreciate the replies- gonna enlarge the manifolds bolt holes tomorrow. I like that plan better than unbolting the exhaust hangers to try to move the H pipe out of the way.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron29 View Post
I sure will. I'm eager to get it running with the limited driving season here in MI. Just have to install the carb & PS pump after getting this manifold figured out...of course I did not take pics of how the PS brackets were set up - thought I'd remember- ya right. Its a pump from a 69 so it was a bit of a custom install which I didn't do. That may be a question for another post in the near future.

I appreciate the replies- gonna enlarge the manifolds bolt holes tomorrow. I like that plan better than unbolting the exhaust hangers to try to move the H pipe out of the way.
If it were me, I would loosen the exhaust to move it back the tiny bit you need before I enlarged the holes. Just my opinion.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron29 View Post

thanks. my buddy did them on a late 5.0 for a build in MM&FF on an '85 capri http://www.mustangandfords.com/proje...upgrade-part-4 . he had good luck with them, but more opinions are always good

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
My mind isn't what it used to be, but I remember, at some point in time, hearing about header & manifold installation difficulties with some aftermarket aluminum heads due to part of the casting being in the way and needing to be ground away.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Got it installed finally. Removed the bolts on the exhaust pipe hangers but that didn't help. On looking at the manifold closer I found some of the bolt holes had been drilled larger that others. Had to open a few of them up more to allow it to move far enough back on the head to line up all the holes.

Thanks again for your replies.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 PM

did you take it out yet? what heads did you take off?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
"..........I would suggest gasket matching the manifolds, but donít install the gaskets as they are not needed.
^^^^^^^^ this !

Be sure to check the manifold for perfect flatness. before installation. If not perfect, a machine shop can fix that in about 10 minutes.

Z
aaron29 and patrickstapler like this.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Still have to install carb & PS pump. I had GT40 (non-P) heads on the previous 5.0

I'll post how much difference there is soon as I get her on the road.

Thanks again.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:58 PM

any progress?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page