Wiring is killing me, need some help - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Wiring is killing me, need some help

So I bought several wiring harnesses for my Ď65 coupe from CJ Pony Parts over the last few weeks and am almost finished installing them, but now I find a few wires with nowhere to go and I canít find them in any wiring diagrams online

So on the dash wiring harness (p/n WUD1),thereís a larger gauge black wire with a yellow stripe (picture 1) that exits the main harness near the right side of the gauges, it actually exits the harness with the wires for the right side gauges. In the exterior lighting, interior lighting and accessory wiring diagrams it looks like it is wire #37, but the diagrams show 37 going from the fuse box out to the starter solenoid. In this harness it runs in the dash harness starting at the headlight firewall connector through the harness (past the fuse box) and exits at the gauge wires and terminates in a bullet connector.

I also found black wire that exits the harness in the same location as the black/yellow wire, the black wire terminates in a large cylindrical female end for a bullet connector (picture 2). Is this where the black/yellow wire (possibly #37) connects?

Question 2. If you continue along the dash harness past the gauge wires and heading towards the main gauge feed disconnect on the firewall, there are two blue/red wires that exit the harness just before the brake switch wires (picture 3), the two blue/red wires are about 7Ē long and terminate in ring connectors. Where do these go?

Question 3. I bought the air conditioning wiring harness p/n W64AC, I donít see anything like this harness around the underdash a/c unit at all. Where does the fused yellow and black harness plug in and where does the plain black wire plug in?

Last question: the headlight wiring harness (p/n WHL2B) and the dash harness (p/n WUD18) have all the connections for fog lights (picture 4). I then purchased the Scott Drake fog light switch with attached wiring pigtail. It has the exact same (identical) three pin connector (picture 5) that the dash harness has (not opposites, so they canít connect), how does that work?

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBAAF231-6F4B-4738-8D78-F3DDAF865ECB.jpg (469.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 088F3281-D868-4A1D-B3CC-73EDE49FBCC8.jpg (327.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 72473F2E-C689-4FBE-8549-8F54AC25B27A.jpg (478.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 50189D3E-6530-48FE-9AB4-B576651B032C.jpg (254.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 5D234F45-2901-40B9-9171-58814B7CA212.jpg (272.2 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 PM

When I took my car apart I took photos of everything. When I put it back together I kept running across wires that didn't seem to have a home... then I remembered the photos I took months before. I found a number of connectors that weren't connected to anything when I took it apart.
The Mustangs and Cougars used the same harnesses, but the Cougars had quite a few more connectors than the Mustangs which were left dangling under the dash with nothing to do in the Mustangs.
For the fog light connector, I'd cut the connectors off and use butt connectors on the wires according to color. I'd first twist them together and try the switch. Most it'll do if it's wrong is blow a fuse.
If it works, research has produced a positive result. If not, continue research... but that's all I gut.
Huntingky and Navyflyer72 like this.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 AM

Garage
I'm in the same boat as you, and I made a thread strikingly similar to this a week or two back. Somebody pitched in a link which saved my butt:

https://www.clanmcmuffin.com/66%20Mu...Colorized).pdf

Don't be intimidated by the first few pages. There's labelled pictures of the harnesses towards the end of the pdf.

I've yet to complete my wiring, because I'm focused on getting my engine back in, but I'll be right there with ya soon

Cheers! And good luck.
Alex
Navyflyer72 likes this.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, and I made a thread strikingly similar to this a week or two back. Somebody pitched in a link which saved my butt:

https://www.clanmcmuffin.com/66%20Mu...Colorized).pdf

Don't be intimidated by the first few pages. There's labelled pictures of the harnesses towards the end of the pdf.

I've yet to complete my wiring, because I'm focused on getting my engine back in, but I'll be right there with ya soon

Cheers! And good luck.
Alex
Alex, yep, found that exact page in another post and have been using it for the last week. Itís REALLY helpful, but for whatever reason these wires either arenít shown well in the actual photos of the harnesses, or they just arenít there? Thatís what is killing me right now. I kinda wish I had laid the harness out when it first arrived and taken a good photo, then labeled each wire (which I have done to about 80% of the wires after it was installed in the dash

Also gotta love when I bought and modified the engine accessory (gauge feed) harness and after I plug the dash main connector into the firewall and go around to plug in the gauge feed harness, it was the wrong harness and the connectors donít fit together... yay me. Itís been like amateur hour in my garage these last few days... I swear Iím getting old and senile.

Still trying to figure out this black/yellow wire though, it definitely goes from a bullet connector by the gauge wires, through the firewall main disconnect for the headlight harness and I think it goes to the positive side of the starter solenoid, which is now hooked to my alternator since I have a mid-nineties 302 with a late model starter with the solenoid on the starter. So where does the bullet connector on this black/yellow heavy gauge wire need to go? I think the fuse panel, Iím going to trace the black female connector thatís right there also and see if that goes to the fuse panel. If it does, those two are getting connected and Iím calling it a day...
Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 AM

Your black with yellow should be hooked to battery voltage as that is where it would have been attached on the original fender mounted starter relay. Also, the starter solenoid was mounted to your original starter, same as your new one. The square fender mounted "solenoid" is actually the starter relay which you will still need with your '90's 302. The solenoid is a movable electronic plunger mounted to the starter that engages the drive. For some reason the relay has been called a solenoid forever just like the magazine for a gun is always mistakenly called a "clip". Also, your new big square STARTER RELAY will need to be compatible with your newer engine family if your fuel injected as it has spike protection.
Navyflyer72 likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
Question 2 Your picture looks like they are Blue with Black stripe, If so they would go to the Circuit breaker ***. for your Fog lights. It mounts on the windshield wiper motor bracket.
Your fog light switch I would check to make sure and I would fix the plug on the switch, Why cut up a new harness.
Navyflyer72 likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Garage
Who wiring harness is this?
Navyflyer72 likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Garage
Question 3 Fused Yellow should have a ring connector on one end that goes to the stud on the Ignition switch. Black wire runs to the clutch on the compresor.
Question 1 I would trace or ring the two Black/yellow wires to see where they go.

Last edited by BW66; 07-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM

I found this image to be very helpful when I installed a new harness in my 66 to identify what goes where, as well as determining which wires are NOT used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-mustang-fresh-wiring-harness-diag.jpg (331.2 KB, 25 views)

69 Cutlass Convertible
Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW66 View Post
Question 2 Your picture looks like they are Blue with Black stripe, If so they would go to the Circuit breaker ***. for your Fog lights. It mounts on the windshield wiper motor bracket.
Your fog light switch I would check to make sure and I would fix the plug on the switch, Why cut up a new harness.

You are 100% correct, they are blue/black, that go to the fog light fuse and that solves one of the mysteries! Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW66 View Post
Who wiring harness is this?
Bought it from CJ Pony Parts it can be found here:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-class...-1965/p/WUD18/

Here are some snapshots that I added notes to from their parts listing page (ignore the notes about the fog light wires that you already solved):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52719AED-1FB7-43FA-9F9A-80A4723A46C2.jpg (243.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg C5C4BF1B-EF8E-4516-959A-BB3A7A27B887.jpg (314.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 02CEEFAC-F1DE-4F41-B109-6C1454A81F68.jpg (293.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Are you installing the factory 1965 5-gauge cluster in your car? If so, I believe the two big fat wires you've drawn arrows to are for the ammeter.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Are you installing the factory 1965 5-gauge cluster in your car? If so, I believe the two big fat wires you've drawn arrows to are for the ammeter.
Iím not installing the factory 5 gauge cluster, Iím installing a Dakota digital package. I havenít found a wiring diagram that shows that ammeter wiring, that would really help if anyone could confirm. From what I can trace, the black/yellow large gauge wire goes into the headlight harness and over to the starter solenoid. No idea where the female bullet connector on the black wire goes.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
On the package it came in, Is there a company name if so call them if not call CJ's and ask who made The wiring harness.
Alloy Metal Products are made in the USA. They might have made it I would call them and ask.
What Matter said and what you traced it could be wire #37 if the female bullet goes to the fuse block.
I would try confirm this.
Navyflyer72 likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Garage

BW66 and Navyflyer72 like this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 07-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in