Fuel Pump + Oil Filter - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tallguy
  • 2 Post By awhtx

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel Pump + Oil Filter

Hello all, looking for some input here.

I have a 289 that's freshly rebuilt and I'm getting close to dropping it into my coupe. I just have a few things to button up and then I'll be digging out the old hoist.

1. I've gotten conflicting information about fuel pump installation, especially in the gasket area. Do I use gasket sealer or not? My book recommends it but I've read in several places online (yeah, I know... online ) that no sealer is needed. What do you think?

2. Additionally, I'll be putting the oil filter on after the fuel pump. Since the engine is rebuilt and currently doesn't have any oil in it (and for break-in procedure as well), should I be pre-filling the filter before I install? Or should I just use oil on the lip and tighten as I would a normal filter, before installing it right out of the box (dry) ?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 AM

Thumbs Up

Once you drop the motor back in remove the distributor if it is already installed in the engine and prime your motor through the distributor hole using a drill and a primer rod seated into the oil pump. Run the drill counter clock wise. Put your oil filter on dry with a little oil on the gasket as it says to do. I always used a little gasket cement on both surfaces of the fuel pump gasket spread evenly and never had an oil leak from my fuel pump.

Once you get it primed and everything buttoned up and the engine ready to fire follow the procedure in the shop manual on how to initially run your engine for initial break in. IIRC it's 2000 RPM for 20 minutes or so after you get it warmed up and you're sure the engine is getting lubed and you get your initial timing set. It's been a while since I rebuilt my last motor so I'm sure others will chime in.

Hope this helps and think about it. You're reading this on the internet. :-)

Last edited by tom991; 07-10-2019 at 12:09 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 AM

I pre-filled my oil filter on the new build 1/2 way (because that's what I always do) but after I got done priming I realized it was not needed in this case.

As for gasket sealer, I am following "current" instructions and not the Monroe book which is 40ish years old tech. So no sealer for me on any gaskets. We will see how it goes.

Edit: On the Monroe book, I mean no disrespect, it is a fantastic resource, you just have to adjust for the technology differences....
Ironstang likes this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works

Last edited by Tallguy; 07-10-2019 at 01:00 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 AM

No reason NOT to fill filter before you install it,bonus if the engine is on a stand because you can rotate it so you don`t need to worry about spilling.

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Assuming that you are going to pre-oil the engine with an electric drill there is absolutely no reason to put any oil in the filter before installation. The oil pump will do that for you.
GypsyR and InOverMyHead like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
Once you drop the motor back in remove the distributor if it is already installed in the engine and prime your motor through the distributor hole using a drill and a primer rod seated into the oil pump. Run the drill counter clock wise. Put your oil filter on dry with a little oil on the gasket as it says to do. I always used a little gasket cement on both surfaces of the fuel pump gasket spread evenly and never had an oil leak from my fuel pump.

Once you get it primed and everything buttoned up and the engine ready to fire follow the procedure in the shop manual on how to initially run your engine for initial break in. IIRC it's 2000 RPM for 20 minutes or so after you get it warmed up and you're sure the engine is getting lubed and you get your initial timing set. It's been a while since I rebuilt my last motor so I'm sure others will chime in.

Hope this helps and think about it. You're reading this on the internet. :-)
Thanks, this is a lot of great information. Sounds to me like what gets done depends on the preferences of the installer.

Indeed, I am reading this on the internet. But VMF is a source that I trust more than most

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
I pre-filled my oil filter on the new build 1/2 way (because that's what I always do) but after I got done priming I realized it was not needed in this case.

As for gasket sealer, I am following "current" instructions and not the Monroe book which is 40ish years old tech. So no sealer for me on any gaskets. We will see how it goes.

Edit: On the Monroe book, I mean no disrespect, it is a fantastic resource, you just have to adjust for the technology differences....
I share your concerns about the Monroe book. It's very in-depth, but I have often worried that it's a little outdated. That's why I've been on here poking around for some advice on things that I suspect might be old-style. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course I might smear a little sealer on the gasket surface because I really don't see how it could do any harm other than being a pain to remove down the road, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6ZZGT View Post
No reason NOT to fill filter before you install it,bonus if the engine is on a stand because you can rotate it so you don`t need to worry about spilling.
I suppose you are right; it certainly does no harm. I will need to prime the system anyway, but I might end up splashing some oil in just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Assuming that you are going to pre-oil the engine with an electric drill there is absolutely no reason to put any oil in the filter before installation. The oil pump will do that for you.
Thanks, sounds like most people agree that it's not critical to fill the filter up with oil before installing, especially if you're going to be priming the system. Thanks for the input!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page