Mustang Steve Brake Questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Big Perm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 380
Mustang Steve Brake Questions

I searched the various threads and wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for. I purchased the Mustang Steve brackets to adapt the 99-04 Cobra brakes to my 1967 Mustang, and I have two primary questions:

1. Flex hoses
It seems like the instructions around this are purposely unclear or put towards the bottom, but will the standard Cobra flex lines thread directly to the existing 1967 hardline connection at the frame? These are the flex lines I purchased, and I really wasn't planning on having to make new hardlines just to adapt to the Cobra flex lines.

2. Wheel fitment
I am running 17x8 Torq Thrust Originals on my car with 4.5" backspacing and a 245 tire. Will this wheel clear the brake caliper? I am not willing to switch to a different wheel just to accommodate this brake, and I will not have room to add a spacer. If this type of brake requires the use of a newer-style wheel, it would be nice if that were called out somewhere.

"I immediately regret this decision."- Ron Burgandy

My 67' Coupe project...http://photobucket.com/lime67
Big Perm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Dimples
 
BlakeTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,284
Garage
1: it should fit, but you can either just try it out, maybe use adapters if you have to, or ask on Steve’s FYI Ford forum.

2: hard to know for sure, but in general, 17”s should fit.
cavboy78 and rpm like this.

The anvil of reality.
BlakeTX is online now  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
cavboy78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 161
i have plenty of caliper-wheel clearance with 17's (4.5 bs). I would be hard pressed to think any 17 in a TT style would have clearance with the cobra calipers.

2012 Boss 302 (Rowdy) - Slowly becoming a track car...not stock
1970 Mustang Sportsroof (Roxy) - 357w roller block, T-5z, Global West Control Arms w/ QA-1's, Vintage Venom Disc Brakes
1966 Mustang Coupe (Rhonda) - 289 2V, PS/PB, Silver Blue
cavboy78 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Junior Member
 
70CoyoteStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
The Cobra soft lines will not fit directly to the stock 67 hard lines. You will need adapters. The Cobra brakes use different size fittings on one side...

"94-04 Cobra hoses: Note they have a 3/8” SAE inverted flare on one hose and 7/16” inverted flare thread on the opposite side. (On frame end of the hose) Depending on the year of the calipers, the banjo bolts can be fine or coarse thread."

I ended up using braided stainless steel line with AN fittings.

1970 Mach 1
5.0L Coyote swap
Promotion T5 Trans
9" w/ 3.91 Eaton TruTrac
Mustangs to Fear IFS
TCI 4-link Rear Susp
SN95 Cobra disc brakes
70CoyoteStang is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Big Perm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CoyoteStang View Post
The Cobra soft lines will not fit directly to the stock 67 hard lines. You will need adapters. The Cobra brakes use different size fittings on one side...

"94-04 Cobra hoses: Note they have a 3/8” SAE inverted flare on one hose and 7/16” inverted flare thread on the opposite side. (On frame end of the hose) Depending on the year of the calipers, the banjo bolts can be fine or coarse thread."

I ended up using braided stainless steel line with AN fittings.
This is where I get conflicting information from https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/m...questions.html

If you look a little ways down that thread, he states that he just ended up buying standard Cobra hoses and the bolted right up.

"I immediately regret this decision."- Ron Burgandy

My 67' Coupe project...http://photobucket.com/lime67
Big Perm is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,092
It's best to find out if the calipers need or course or fine thread banjo bolts once you have the calipers in your hands. These things get all mixed up sometimes by the time you get them. Also, the copper crush washers are different from many cars. They are thicker and seem to have 2 layers. Forget about trying to get this stuff at a local parts store. I would make new hard lines with the correct fittings and attaching position. Front brake lines are not hard to fabricate.

1994-04 MUSTANG FRONT BRAKE CALIPER BANJO BOLT - FINE THREAD
cougar70 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
englishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 230
I did the S197 rotor and caliper swap using Mustang Steve’s brackets. The flexi hoses I used were aftermarket SS braided ones and I made up new hardlines with a metric nut and bubble flare at the flexi end and a regular SAE nut and flare at the other. The SAE ends went into the distribution block on the drivers side and into a pre-existing union on the passenger side.

I’m running 17 x 7 front wheels with 4” backspacing (IIRC) and needed a 5/16” spacer for caliper clearance.

The kit is well engineered and straightforward to install in my opinion


1967 289 Coupe - AOD, Edelbrock heads, Victor Jr, EZ-Efi, roller front suspension, S197 front brakes, 3.55 gears
englishman is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Budstoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Perm View Post
I searched the various threads and wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for. I purchased the Mustang Steve brackets to adapt the 99-04 Cobra brakes to my 1967 Mustang, and I have two primary questions:

1. Flex hoses
It seems like the instructions around this are purposely unclear or put towards the bottom, but will the standard Cobra flex lines thread directly to the existing 1967 hardline connection at the frame? These are the flex lines I purchased, and I really wasn't planning on having to make new hardlines just to adapt to the Cobra flex lines.

2. Wheel fitment
I am running 17x8 Torq Thrust Originals on my car with 4.5" backspacing and a 245 tire. Will this wheel clear the brake caliper? I am not willing to switch to a different wheel just to accommodate this brake, and I will not have room to add a spacer. If this type of brake requires the use of a newer-style wheel, it would be nice if that were called out somewhere.
I have the same 04 Cobra brakes on my 66 and the TT's did hit the calipers since the spokes are curved. I test fit them myself and also asked the wheel manufacture and they replied they would not fit. I was able to adapt stock Cobra brake lines but I did have to cut one brake line and put a larger fitting on it. I had to file the stock 66 brake line brackets out using a small flat file but the Cobra lines fit the 66 brake line brackets. I attached some pictures showing how I ran the brakes lines and the one wheel (Rocket) that had less than .015 clearance between the wheel and caliper. Then my final choice (US Mags) I had to buy special valve stems plus I'm running 1/8 spacers. The face of the calipers were super close to the back of the wheel spokes. Both sets of wheels had zero offset. I hope the extra stopping power will justify the hassle the brakes caused!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6187.jpg (410.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6063.jpg (326.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6028.jpg (413.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6414.jpg (379.5 KB, 6 views)
2nd 66 likes this.
Budstoy is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Nailbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 2,642
As far as the flex hoses I made up my own on my Mustang Steve 2008 GT caliper setup. A deep search in the Summit website was all it took. I ended up swapping the 45º banjo fitting for 90º fittings for my setup. All Plug and play!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1285.jpg (421.8 KB, 5 views)

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Nailbender is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,092
If you want to carry a spare tire, you might as well get 5 matching wheels and tires.
cougar70 is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Dimples
 
BlakeTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,284
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budstoy View Post
Both sets of wheels had zero offset. I hope the extra stopping power will justify the hassle the brakes caused!
What were the rest of the specs on the wheels?

The anvil of reality.
BlakeTX is online now  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
DrStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Palm Springs, California
Posts: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
As far as the flex hoses I made up my own on my Mustang Steve 2008 GT caliper setup. A deep search in the Summit website was all it took. I ended up swapping the 45º banjo fitting for 90º fittings for my setup. All Plug and play!
What I used as well when I installed about 13 yrs ago. BTW, still working great.
Nailbender likes this.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
DrStang is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Budstoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
What were the rest of the specs on the wheels?
I tried to fit 17x8's on all corners but I had to put 17x7's on the front
Budstoy is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Dimples
 
BlakeTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,284
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budstoy View Post
I tried to fit 17x8's on all corners but I had to put 17x7's on the front
Ok, so zero offset... does that mean wheels with 3.5in backspace on the front?

The anvil of reality.
BlakeTX is online now  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Budstoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Ok, so zero offset... does that mean wheels with 3.5in backspace on the front?
A 7in wheel with zero offset have a 4.0 backspace
Budstoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome