Package Tray Install - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 22GT
  • 1 Post By 22GT

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Package Tray Install

I bought a new package tray for my Ď66 Coupe and just did a test fitting. It fits but I noticed the edges sticking up like in the picks. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? Iím installing two 6x9 speakers and will have it wrapped to match the interior. I figure the speakers and grills will give some rigidity at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4D3A2A7C-232D-42FC-A9A4-D152F38E0A45.jpg (300.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg D933F578-D169-4F7C-82AB-1D080C69B602.jpg (278.5 KB, 10 views)

'66 Coupe - Pro-touring in the making

289 or 302? 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.55 gears
TCP suspension front and rear
18x8 Wheels and Baer 6P all four corners

And no more money left in my wallet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Howdy! Sometime ago I went the opposite of what you are doing now. I wanted to replace the old package tray with speakers back to a stock plain one
Iím am not in the US and due to that matter I decided to do my own using the old tray as a template.
I located the materials and cut the new tray exactly as the old one. It fitted correctly for me with no bends on the sides or whatsoever. Have you put the tray under the weatherstrip rubber all around the edges.? Not only in the rear glass but also on both sides.? Pics are not very good but here is how mine looks now..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6548CA20-186D-4ACA-BD2B-C2CADFEC80B6.jpg (371.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 74DE5EAF-1946-4BFA-9504-917212B88700.jpg (225.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CA909827-BBB4-42BD-83C4-E5F142261F1A.jpg (322.6 KB, 4 views)

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]

Last edited by Josep; 07-11-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 AM

There were screws on each side at the factory. BTW, you have the tray upside-down. The rough, textured side is the top.
gt350sr likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 AM

I am doing mine now-and mine was too tight- (granted I am using a one piece headliner so YMMV) It stood up like yours butslightly worse. But in the end I ground around 3/16 off each side but followed the correct tapered line. I tried 1/8 but it was still bowing up- another 1/8 and it layed down flat. Mine was tight at the rear corners- I thought it was the headliner- but maybe its (pkg tray) made oversize slightly- or maybe each car is slightly different - IDK
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Make sure it's under the window weatherstripping, which can be a pain to do. If it still bows up, just trim it. It's only held in by the window weatherstipping and those two screws at the quarter panels.

(BTW, I have a pair of barely used 6x9s that I pulled from my '66 coupe...message me if interested).

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM

I did mine last fall and had the same issue. The corners are mostly hidden by the back seat. I tend not to look at them and most others won't notice. If you want, you can screw them in as 22GT said.

Also, FWIW, I mounted my speakers inside the trunk. I cut openings for the speakers in the package tray and then covered it in speaker cloth. No grills to be seen, I like the clean, uncluttered look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Package tray top 2.jpg (39.9 KB, 4 views)

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems to fit well otherwise but I'll see what happens when I screw it down with the speakers. I'm using the CA Pony Cars grills with my speakers and will screw them through the package tray and metal frame. That should help tie it down.

289 or 302? 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.55 gears

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Oh, how did you cut the speaker holes? I'm trying but I don't want to damage the particle board.

289 or 302? 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.55 gears

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:13 AM

I traced the speaker line on the BACK (smooth) side. Drilled a 1/4 hole inside of the speaker "line" and then used a jig saw. It cut fairly well but a little rough (but I am covering with OEM style cover plate) It worked but I was a little dissatisfied with the end result. No-one will ever see it- but I know its not up to the level of the rest of the car-
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Garage
Hopefully this is relevant to your 66, but I've been wondering about the package tray screws for a while and just never bothered to ask. Since it might apply here and actually help tie down your edges I'm just gonna jump in here with this.

When I bought my 67 it had some fragile, original looking plastic pieces along the front edges of the package tray at the quarters that the quarter screws went through. Just little trim pieces to hide the edge at the quarters and make it look finished.

I have never seen these on another car and I've never seen them reproduced. Are these a thing on anyone else's car? They're brittle and look like factory pieces so I have to believe the car left New Jersey with them but I've never seen another set.

I made my own reproductions with some door edge guards I bought from somewhere and painted to match. If they were a thing in 66 you could make some of your own and screw them down to the quarter and that would help hold the edges down.

They're just some C shaped plastic so they're not hard to make, assuming they're not just some rare thing that only appears on Aqua 6 cylinder cars made in January in New Jersey or something.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:30 AM

After years of discussion, the Mustang package tray screws have been added to the AMK lineup.

Sparky66 likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
My "solution" for speakers on package trays has always been to trace the outline on the panel then get out my hole saw and drill a bunch of 3/4" diameter holes spaced close together, then glue a piece of fine nylon mesh screen over the top. If you choose a vinyl or cloth covering for your package tray, above the speaker you can punch a pattern of small holes using a piece of expanded metal or perforated paper (or layout your pattern on graph paper or your computer) as a guide to make the speaker installation almost invisible.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Hopefully this is relevant to your 66, but I've been wondering about the package tray screws for a while and just never bothered to ask. Since it might apply here and actually help tie down your edges I'm just gonna jump in here with this.

When I bought my 67 it had some fragile, original looking plastic pieces along the front edges of the package tray at the quarters that the quarter screws went through. Just little trim pieces to hide the edge at the quarters and make it look finished.

I have never seen these on another car and I've never seen them reproduced. Are these a thing on anyone else's car? They're brittle and look like factory pieces so I have to believe the car left New Jersey with them but I've never seen another set.

I made my own reproductions with some door edge guards I bought from somewhere and painted to match. If they were a thing in 66 you could make some of your own and screw them down to the quarter and that would help hold the edges down.

They're just some C shaped plastic so they're not hard to make, assuming they're not just some rare thing that only appears on Aqua 6 cylinder cars made in January in New Jersey or something.
I've seen these elusive plastic 'c' end caps of which you speak, although not on every car. I'm guessing they may have been original pieces, but likely fell off when trays were pulled out for whatever reasons. IIRC, they were actually longer on the bottom side-(make a C with your left hand and extend your thumb a bit more than your finger). I think I may even have a couple still lying around, or yet attached to package trays.

As far as replacement trays go, I buy a 4x8 sheet of Masonite at Menards for about $4- trace the old one, cut it out, and done. Works perfect, and after squirting paint on it, looks pretty damn close to original as it has the rough texture on the backside (facing up when done)

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
After years of discussion, the Mustang package tray screws have been added to the AMK lineup.

Hmmm- those look very similar to the roof rail weatherstripping holder screws (although those are black) Anyone know if those are really the same
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
I've seen these elusive plastic 'c' end caps of which you speak, although not on every car.
Oh good. At least it's not just me.

If they originally came on 66s they might help XJ220 hold his package tray down. Or at least putting the screw in there might.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page