1967 289 Hi-Po Horrible Engine Noise - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

1967 289 Hi-Po Horrible Engine Noise

I know it's a long shot but I have to ask before I do any damage...

Only 300 mi. on fresh rebuild and a horrible squeaking noise just started this morning. See video at:

Haven't pushed it beyond 3.5k RPM yet. Went for a drive a couple of days ago, all ok. Replaced the oil pressure sending tube last night - not defective, just wanted to get rid of the clear tube in favor of natural nylon. Fired it up this morning to check for leaks and discovered this noise.

Noise seems to go away off idle but hard to tell if it's just harder to hear or what. Oil pressure steady between 60-65 lbs during normal driving conditions, drops a slightly at idle.

Motor rebuilt with mild hydraulic roller instead of mechanical flat tappet, 0.030" over.

Only thing out of the ordinary up 'till now is the motor wanted a lot of initial timing (TDC verified with piston stop) to flow enough vacuum at idle... but was fighting a defective coil (deteriorated as it heated up) at that time. Haven't checked or backed the timing off since as it seemed to be running well.

Help!

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by nmb67fb; 07-11-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Subscribe to thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Pull the belts and start it for just a little while and see if the sound goes away. It would tell you if the noise is in the motor or one of the belt driven accessories.
Woodchuck and BlakeTX like this.

1966 Mustang Ive had for 20 years. Mild built 289, 4-speed coupe. Runs strong but the rest of the car needs help!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub_Elect View Post
Pull the belts and start it for just a little while and see if the sound goes away. It would tell you if the noise is in the motor or one of the belt driven accessories.
Thanks! That's one of the things I thought of but haven't done yet, all the more reason to do it now. It's what I thought of when I first heard the noise but couldn't isolate it enough to be certain.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Sure sounds like something belt driven..
Like a water pump bearing.
Pray god itís something simple like that.
Iíd pull that belt, if it doesnít go away. Immediately pull those valve covers, maybe the intake.
Maybe a bad roller lifter.
It also sound a lot like mine did before a roller lifter disintegrated and smashed a piston.
You donít want that.

What lifters did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zray likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Dimples

Garage
I agree with the others. Sounds belt driven. Pop the belts off and see what you learn.

The anvil of reality.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhunts View Post
Sure sounds like something belt driven..
Like a water pump bearing.
Pray god itís something simple like that.
Iíd pull that belt, if it doesnít go away. Immediately pull those valve covers, maybe the intake.
Maybe a bad roller lifter.
It also sound a lot like mine did before a roller lifter disintegrated and smashed a piston.
You donít want that.

What lifters did you buy?

Heaven forbid.

The builder supplied the internals, I'll have to look it up. No, haven't gotten in touch with the builder yet.

Thanks -
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I'll have the belts off shortly, will report back... fingers crossed.

Thanks all!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM

The nice thing about your setup is if you pull both belts and it goes away then put the water pump/alternator belt back on and if the noise comes back it’s one of those. If you put the PS belt on and it comes back then it’s your PS pump. Just make sure to not run it long and watch temp without the water pump belt on it. You don’t want to over heat and damage anything. I assume it’s a manual trans but if it’s auto then check the oil in the transmission! Hell, I would check all oil levels and make sure they are full and not over filled.

1966 Mustang Ive had for 20 years. Mild built 289, 4-speed coupe. Runs strong but the rest of the car needs help!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Let us know what you find.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Well it doesn't sound good. I think you are going to have to pull the engine apart again.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmb67fb View Post
Heaven forbid.

The builder supplied the internals, I'll have to look it up. No, haven't gotten in touch with the builder yet.

Thanks -

Sorry to be Debbie downer..

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 PM

An old trick my step dad taught me is if you have a long screw driver etc, place one end on the rotating part, the other to your ear.
It can act like a stethoscope.
You can hear beating noises, etc.
I heard my lifter through valve cover even before I pulled it.
You can even use a piece of long thread all or metal dowl rod.

Obviously be careful or belts and things that rotate.
Could get ugly.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Fuel pump eccentric touching timing cover due to cam thrust issue and/or improper timing gear/eccentric setup?

1965 Mustang
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Sounds like a water pump bearing......
I agree with the others. Pull the belt.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the belts off, squeak didn't go away. Put the belts back on, still had squeakage but then it cleaned up and didn't come back. Went through about 10 cycles of starting, running for various durations and rpms, stopping - it never came back. But perhaps one more piece of the puzzle, the squeak was more pronounced listening from underneath. Maybe the concrete floor has something to do with that who knows.

But... I noticed this hollow, intermittent knocking noise toward the back of the motor that goes away when the clutch is depressed. It sounds just like how I would envision a loose, closed element air cleaner to sound. What's that, a loose valve bouncing around a cylinder?

I tried the stick thing, somehow I'd forgotten that diagnostic tool but then I've forgotten lots over the years, and couldn't pinpoint anything save for that knock was definitely more pronounced at the rear passenger side of the motor but was more of a tick through the stick.

Good times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page