Luggage Setup for Road Trip - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes
  • 6 Post By 1965GTFB
  • 2 Post By 4ocious
  • 1 Post By geicoman58

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Luggage Setup for Road Trip

This is how I setup our luggage for our 6,000 mile road trip from Nor Cal to Minnesota and back that we just completed.
The 2 large suitcases are some that my folks used(with plastic covers) on their 1934 Ford Cabriolet on a rear luggage rack when they traveled. The straps are also what they used and I modified them for the Mustang.

You can also see the 3 point seat belts that I added(in my custom hidden way) after 25+ years of driving with the original lap belts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.jpg (540.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (604.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (487.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (449.8 KB, 16 views)
Huntingky, Turnall, DonP and 3 others like this.

'68 J code coupe back in H.S.1st car. Now 65 GTFB
Daughter & I built her a '66 coupe feature car in 8/04 MM & '05 Meguiar's winner see it @ Meguiars.com Made matching pedal car for her daughters.
Built a '68 j code coupe with oldest son. Made matching pedal car for his sons.
Built a '67 FB with youngest son. Yes I'll be making a matching pedal car when he has kids.
Future '74 TR6 Project for Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
What your wife was doing today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (392.8 KB, 9 views)
geicoman58 and Ogre39 like this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
What your wife was doing today.
?

Daughter & I built her a '66 coupe feature car in 8/04 MM & '05 Meguiar's winner see it @ Meguiars.com Made matching pedal car for her daughters.
Built a '67 FB with youngest son. Yes I'll be making a matching pedal car when he has kids.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Looks nice!

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM

Looks good to me. Just make sure those suitcases are secure so the passenger/driver don't end up like Tom Mix when he crashed his vehicle.

https://tucson.com/morguetales/tales...f9f7d9a46.html

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Looks good to me. Just make sure those suitcases are secure so the passenger/driver don't end up like Tom Mix when he crashed his vehicle.

https://tucson.com/morguetales/tales...f9f7d9a46.html
Learned lesson years ago when I was installing carpet and driving a 67 Econoline, one with engine in the middle of seats. Had a 5 foot long steel straight edge, one end 90 degrees one 45. Due to summer heat, in and out of construction sites and peoples homes, I routinely carried couple extra dry shirts, deodorant and cologne. One day we had piled tools up in back in a hurry, straight edge on TOP of tool boxes. Somebody ran a stop sign and I had to stand on the brakes. That straight edge became a missile, sharp 45 end jumping the engine hump and embedding itself in front console where I had the toiletries stored. For weeks afterward the van reeked with the smell of that cologne and it was months before my sinuses recovered, the first week or two feeling like I had breathed in fire and scorched my lungs and breathing passages. I am quite sure, that if it had been located to the drivers side about a foot, I would have pierced the seat I was sitting in.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:11 AM

This morning I was talking with the wife about her 65 hardtop I am restoring all stockish per her instructions. She reminded me she wants a luggage rack on the decklid.....it doesn't matter if she goes away just 1 night, my girl packs several bags, coats, everythig from the bathroom, etc etc Your sparsely packed, beautiful fastback is impressive. The seatbelts are indeed nicer than the way I did mine as well! However, l was expecting to see something along the lines of travels with Kelly H, now that was inspirational in packing a fastback!r
Huntingky likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 12:41 PM

6,000 mile road trip, that sounds awesome. Would like to hear more about that!

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9 rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geicoman58 View Post
.....it doesn't matter if she goes away just 1 night, my girl packs several bags, coats, everythig from the bathroom, etc etc Your sparsely packed, beautiful fastback is impressive.
We did have a few more things than that in the rear seat area during the trip. The hidden rear seat area is a great place to put a few flat things like the laptop, jackets folded up or books. There were a few outer things like jackets and sweat shirts rolled up behind the small suitcase and my old school Adidas gym bag(from the '70s used for wrestling gear in HS & College) down one side. But nothing in front of the speakers. Small ice chest behind the driers seat and snacks and maps behind the passenger.

If I had not put my golf clubs in the trunk the back seat would have been just the 3 cases. Also I have a matching 205-75-14 spare, so it takes a little more room in the trunk.

Going to do a post on the road trip soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page